The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Voltage Research Laboratory by Pittsburgh Modular
Old 26th September 2019
Deleted bbe5aef
Stoked for this beast. Wish I Kickstarted it. Too bad it got delayed due to the panel manufacturers...

This with the Moog Matriarch could be the combo of the century. Add in a Summit for good measure, nice pads and ****in' wowe.

The industry could use some more West Coast inspired synths to thicken up the sonic space
Old 26th October 2019
Deleted 4c3c464
Really like this as I can use it without the modular system I do not have.
But I have a bunch of CV modded Monotribes I can!

Old 27th October 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
I'm really really disappointed the function generators don't go high into the audio range, I think this is a huge miss, I really wanted four stable sound sources and having two oscillators as function generators gives you huge control, I really don't understand why they did this! I'm sick of hearing them say they feel this works in this situation better.. they always say that but it seems like it's never true! They just gimp things! It really makes me mad since they did them right on the Microvolt which cost a third of this, why not just use the same range on this? Is not like they can't do it, they choose that.. so it's a $1600 duo synth, when it could have been like the matriarch with four oscillators if you want.. it feels really overpriced, I mean why not just get two microvolts and have way more? Anyway, I hate to bring down this thing, is basically my dream synth... I'm just really disappointed. Silly decision..
Old 27th October 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
I wonder if you route the function generator through the multiplier will it bring the rate up higher you can use it as a oscillator?
Old 12th November 2019
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Got my shipping notification today!
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Dope!
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What pledge# are you? (So I can work out when mine will come!!)
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
What pledge# are you? (So I can work out when mine will come!!)
I was pledge #45 , full system.
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

BTW, in case you missed the message this morning from the PM guys, they are shipping 20 to 25 VRLs every Friday, or at least that is their goal.

Take your pledge number, subtract 45 (given that I am #45 and got a shipment today), divide by 20 and you should have your worst case scenario number of weeks before they ship it to you.

More or less...
Old 30th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
BTW, in case you missed the message this morning from the PM guys, they are shipping 20 to 25 VRLs every Friday, or at least that is their goal.

Take your pledge number, subtract 45 (given that I am #45 and got a shipment today), divide by 20 and you should have your worst case scenario number of weeks before they ship it to you.

More or less...
If I wanted to do math with my synth gear, I'd be making music with a calculator!

Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

These things are hella cool and modern-sexy.

Like, the MOMA ought to buy one to display.
Old 4th December 2019
M32
Lives for gear

https://pittsburghmodular.com/lifefo...log-delay-unit

Standalone bbd delay module from the voltage lab

i've a feeling there's more to follow: the pic at the bottom of the page seems to show a module version of the Main osc of the Voltage Lab: ('organic waveform designer') or maybe it's just the wavefolder part

Really interesting, as the waveshaping had a very unique character

I hope they do the lfo/random section from the Microvolt in module-form. Loved that morphing between full-random to pseudorandom to fixed waveform. Simple but genius!
Old 4th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
https://pittsburghmodular.com/lifefo...log-delay-unit

Standalone bbd delay module from the voltage lab

i've a feeling there's more to follow: the pic at the bottom of the page seems to show a module version of the Main osc of the Voltage Lab: ('organic waveform designer') or maybe it's just the wavefolder part

Really interesting, as the waveshaping had a very unique character

I hope they do the lfo/random section from the Microvolt in module-form. Loved that morphing between full-random to pseudorandom to fixed waveform. Simple but genius!
Cool.

My music collaborator and friend has a Microvolt now checking it out and it's pretty great. I was playing with that Random feature yesterday.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Maniac

VRL has landed
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Man, that thing is gorgeous. The demos are great, too. Silly as the whole "sounds of nature" angle is, they did manage to get some great sounds out of this box.
+1

Never saw this before today. Wow, that's silly marketing indeed. First I thought this was something truly new and unique: "completely different ... influenced by the behaviors and systems of the natural world". Meh... It just sounds regular.

Even so, while poorly marketed, it does look and sound very good, a neat little package that will surely inspire many musicians.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Maniac

It might be silly marketing, but :

Quote:
Fully funded in 9 hours and 22 minutes!
So it may have been relatively efficient

But I agree, they played with various trends and made quite their own thing.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

OMG Mine due to be delivered 19/12

Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
OMG Mine due to be delivered 19/12

Sweet.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

I have had my (autographed! ) VRL for a couple of weeks now, and I got to do a several hour long dive yesterday. I actually took it home so I could dig in over the weekend - so it's in my home setup right next to my bed... you can see it in the picture below.

Initial observations:

- It is small, really small... and dense! It is actually remarkable how much stuff they managed to cram into such a tiny device, but they did. Surprisingly, it is not frustrating to operate even with my oversized hands. I do end up bumping certain knobs fairly regularly (sucks when I hit the frequency/tuning ones) but you learn to work around the critical spots rather quickly, and then it's not too bad. I mean, it is not and will never be "spacious" but the form factor is surprisingly effective, even when using the patch points. The power to square inch of module space is rather insane.

- Which brings me to point two: it is REALLY clever, everything about it. The guys that designed this instruments clearly have both the imagination to conceive innovative architectures and the skill and confidence to execute them. I felt the same way with their Microvolt, which I still use all the time because it sounds like nothing else and can do things nothing else can, but the VRL takes it to a whole other level.

- The VRL is complex and different, especially if you are not used to West Coast type of thinking, but it reveals itself quickly. It makes sense and you can tell a lot of design work went into narrowing down many ideas into a set that maximizes versatility while remaining relatively approachable.

- The VCOs sound is AWESOME. Never heard anything like them - the wavefolding of their warped, complex shapes is absolutely magical. It's good and all when the wave definition parameters are fixed, but it transcends once you start to animate them. The way the waves evolve as you change the rate of folding creates this metallic, flanger-y and super rich motion that feels organic and beautiful.

- The function generators are very familiar if you have used a Microvolt, and they are very versatile as modulation sources.

- The pseudo-filter/dynamics processors are also amazing; there were "hints" of these ideas in the Microvolt but, again, it feels like they are fully realized here.

- The delay seems all right; sounds like a nice BBD analog delay, but I have not spent much time with it yet.

- I have not even looked at the touch controller module yet; every time I start to play with the oscillators I get lost there, but I have a general understanding of how it works, will report back once I spend some hours on it.

Overall, this feels like a such a remarkable instrument - even if you don't want the whole system, you should take a look at the lifeforms module (the top piece - it is all one thing). I think by itself it will take any modular system into amazing new directions.

To an even greater extent than their previous products, the VRL sounds like nothing else and does things nothing else can. It is a brilliant piece of kit and it deserves your attention.

Attached Thumbnails
Voltage Research Laboratory by Pittsburgh Modular-vrl.jpg  
Old 1st February 2020
Gear Maniac
Got my shipping notice from Perfect Circuit today, I need to order some short patch cables, I think all of mine are going to be ridiculous on this.
Old 1st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooderson View Post
Got my shipping notice from Perfect Circuit today, I need to order some short patch cables, I think all of mine are going to be ridiculous on this.
Ha! That’s funny, I wouldn’t have thought about that. Likely true though :D
Old 1st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
To an even greater extent than their previous products, the VRL sounds like nothing else and does things nothing else can. It is a brilliant piece of kit and it deserves your attention.

+1

Personally it achieves what I've been looking for in best part of 2x84ho.. I'm done buying sh1t for a while, I'm completely lost in the depths of this and medusa atm. love it!
Old 24th March 2020
Gear Maniac

How are people liking the VRL now that it’s been out in the wild for a while? Does it get used in your tracks much? Is it deep enough that it will keep you entertained for a long time or do the sounds become a bit same after a while?

Thanks!
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighzi88;****9531
How are people liking the VRL now that it’s been out in the wild for a while? Does it get used in your tracks much? Is it deep enough that it will keep you entertained for a long time or do the sounds become a bit same after a while?

Thanks!
I like it very much. You can get from the most basic sounds to amazing patches. There are some videos on my channel with lots of sounds from VRL. Here is the latest one:

Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Have there been any updates regarding what will be different about the new / revised VRL?
📝 Reply