All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ableton 10.1 CV output devices in M4L
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear
Ableton 10.1 CV output devices in M4L

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/05/...th-in-and-out/

Live 10.1 promises of CV interfacing via dc-coupled audio interfaces
Kind of an in-house expert sleepers functionality

i'm mostly interested in using this as a clocking method, should give a nice tight integration.

The 10.1 announcement convinced me to buy the suite edition. Glad i did!
Hopefully the wait is not too long. Not keen on beta-ing.
Old 7th May 2019
Here for the gear

The clocking method idea is what I started thinking about aswell.

EDIT: I just realised I misunderstood the audio interface requirements, I suppose DC coupled interface rules out my Audient id22?

Anyway I'd imagine we can see a peak in modular sales! Hype
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac

MOTU interfaces can do that I believe. Typically you can use something like a Korg SQ-1
to accomplish much of the same via midi to cv. I always test the betas of live, but I haven't
messed with that as yet.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Make noise did a video a while back on clocking Rene to an audio click track. I think depending on the situation, this could be one of the best ways to clock... especially if you are trying to sync external hardware to internal synths in “real time”. You wouldn’t have to worry about plug-in delay compensation or hardware clock compensation as you are are using the already compensated audio click to sync your hardware. I imagine for recording purposes, this might be less desirable but for on the fly jamming, I think it’d be great.
Old 8th May 2019
sbx
Here for the gear

heya, clocking (both in and out) does not require DC coupled interface and will work with any off the shelf sound card. so does the cv in when in pitch mode.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah.... no

You realize that cv is a D.C. Spec right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbx View Post
heya, clocking (both in and out) does not require DC coupled interface and will work with any off the shelf sound card. so does the cv in when in pitch mode.
Old 8th May 2019
UA Apollos (minus the silver ones) have DC-coupled outputs. Tested a bit last night with the x8p and it's working nicely.

FWIW, Ableton's betas are better than a bunch of "finished" software out there.
Old 8th May 2019
sbx
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Yeah.... no

You realize that cv is a D.C. Spec right?
yes. but trigger signals are AC. this is the reason its working. the cv in device has a pitch mode which allows you to use an oscillator as a modulator, so no DC required.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve got a couple Motu Ultralites, which have DC coupled outs. I’ve only messed with them with the modular a couple times (using Reaktor and the Expert Sleepers floating ring cables), but they worked well. Since I already have that and Live 10 and Push 2, I will definitely have to mess with that combo in the coming weeks.

That said, what is more interesting to me are the CV input tools here...I’m not aware of any other options other than Expert Sleepers modules that will accurately take CV ins since just about every interface has AC coupled on inputs. Will be curious to see if anyone can suggest other options.
Old 9th May 2019
sbx
Here for the gear

@ Accent you can use clock in and cv in with any soundcard, clock in just take triggers which are AC, cv in has a pitch mode which allows you to input an oscillating module in audio rate as a modulation source, you can then modulate the oscillator and use it as a translator to modulations in live
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbx View Post
yes. but trigger signals are AC. this is the reason its working. the cv in device has a pitch mode which allows you to use an oscillator as a modulator, so no DC required.
Triggers are DC signals. The HPF on an AC circuit lets them through because they are so fast. That is why it is working.

The CV in may work but if you want CV out of Ableton you’ll need a DC coupled interface
Old 10th May 2019
sbx
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Triggers are DC signals. The HPF on an AC circuit lets them through because they are so fast. That is why it is working.

The CV in may work but if you want CV out of Ableton you’ll need a DC coupled interface
obviously if you want CV modulation or constant voltage you would need a DC coupled soundcard, HOWEVER as i mentioned before: clocking in and out will work with any soundcard
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Old 21st May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Make noise did a video a while back on clocking Rene to an audio click track. I think depending on the situation, this could be one of the best ways to clock...
Here's the pulse MN used, in case anyone wants it; I use it quite a bit.
Attached Files

modular-pulse.WAV (1.1 KB, 442 views)

Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear
So, Live 10.1 was finally released today

I can't seem to find the M4L CV tool package anywhere?
Anyone care to help?
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

Vc tools no included in Ableton 10.1. Will be seperate pack.. More info here

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/cv-t...e-coming-soon/
Old 5th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/si...atibility.html

Heres a list of confirmed devices, you can always try with the demo.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/si...atibility.html

Heres a list of confirmed devices, you can always try with the demo.
Yeah, I subscribed to the beta testing to get the CV tools, planning to do some tests next sunday, busy times unfortunately
Old 5th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Yeah, I subscribed to the beta testing to get the CV tools, planning to do some tests next sunday, busy times unfortunately
I guess all of these objects are going to be available in max too, might have to switch back to to Ableton from Maschine for this tbh...if you remember please let us know if thats true.
Old 6th June 2019
CV Tools beta was updated today btw.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
UA Apollos (minus the silver ones) have DC-coupled outputs. Tested a bit last night with the x8p and it's working nicely.

FWIW, Ableton's betas are better than a bunch of "finished" software out there.
Tried with mine but no luck...are you going from one branch of a TRS cable to modular?
Old 2 weeks ago
You need one of the newer Apollos. An even earlier beta of CV Tools worked immediately on my set up.

It's advisable also to use special 'floating ring' cables. Expert Sleepers make them. You can damage your expensive interface shooting cv and pulse signals back and forth:
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/accessories.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You need one of the newer Apollos. An even earlier beta of CV Tools worked immediately on my set up.

It's advisable also to use special 'floating ring' cables. Expert Sleepers make them. You can damage your expensive interface shooting cv and pulse signals back and forth:
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/accessories.html
Thanks for the info
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

looking forward to this. hopefully it comes out sooner rather than later
Old 2 weeks ago
So, Ableton has caught up with Bitwig in this respect. The race is on!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I've suscribed to the beta test project and have been using the CV tools together with an expert sleepers Es-3.
It just works perfectly, so i haven't had any bugs to report.

I now have 8 outputs via adat from my DAW that can be pitch CV, Gate, clock, LFO/envelope CV or audio as i please.
It's brilliant, and has totally eliminated all my need for audio input or midi modules.

Since it's audio, it is just super tight rythmically from the first tick, and i can sequence everything straight from my DAW projects.

So it's also eliminated any need for arpeggiator/sequencer modules as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
I haven't used traditional midi for years.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looks like an ES-3 is on my shopping list, already ordered a 3 metre Adat cable.
Old 1 week ago
You can use any DC coupled interface without Expert Sleepers, but using an ES3 saves on audio interface outputs, which is a plus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search