The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ableton 10.1 CV output devices in M4L
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You can use any DC coupled interface without Expert Sleepers, but using an ES3 saves on audio interface outputs, which is a plus.
I have a clarett which isn’t DC coupled so it looks like ES-3 is the way to go.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'm planning to use a MOTU 828 MK3. I want to do more research though on proper cables, signals levels, etc to avoid damaging any of my equipment. I also need to study up on how to make an aggregate audio device as I'm not currently using the MOTU as my primary audio interface. I'd prefer not to have to manually switch between audio interfaces every time I'd like to use CV Tools with Live.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I have a clarett which isn’t DC coupled so it looks like ES-3 is the way to go.
RME UCX here... this is the only thing I’ve ever regretted about the interface. Looks like ES-3 here too. Perhaps the ES-6 eventually too so I can go back from the modular as well.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
RME UCX here... this is the only thing I’ve ever regretted about the interface. Looks like ES-3 here too. Perhaps the ES-6 eventually too so I can go back from the modular as well.
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/RM...ed-Outputs.pdf

the headphone outputs are.
But i cannot recommend the ES modules enough. 8 channels of digital i-o is just great.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I'm planning to use a MOTU 828 MK3. I want to do more research though on proper cables, signals levels, etc to avoid damaging any of my equipment. I also need to study up on how to make an aggregate audio device as I'm not currently using the MOTU as my primary audio interface. I'd prefer not to have to manually switch between audio interfaces every time I'd like to use CV Tools with Live.
Basically, you need something like the floating ring cables Expert Sleepers makes. You can buy the ES ones or roll your own. More info here: https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacompatibility.html

As far as an aggregate audio interface, assuming you’re on a Mac, you just need to go to Applications<Utilities<AudioMidi Setup and you can set it up there. It’s considerably easier than I thought it would be to set up. Not sure how you do it on a PC, but to my understanding it basically requires a human sacrifice and serious witchcraft to do...but it can be done.

I’m running two Ultralite MK4s on a 2012 Mac Pro if that’s of any help. Haven’t tried using the Ableton CV stuff, but the same rules that apply to Silent Way, Reaktor 6 etc should still apply here.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

It’s been a couple years since I played around with the expert sleepers plug ins, but if my memory is right, I believe that the dc coupled interface solution limits your cv voltage range. I think the ac converter cables as well. I think it was only the Es-3 and other expert sleepers modules that allowed the entire 10 volt cv range to be reached.

Anyone recall the exact voltage limitations for the various cv options?
Old 18th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
I believe that the dc coupled interface solution limits your cv voltage range.
As I posted earlier....

I'm getting a full and uncompromised performance via a UAD Apollo interface and floating ring 1/4" cables.
Really happy to ditch Expert Sleepers actually. This is way easier to set up and maintain.
I think all the new UAD interfaces work well with CV Tools.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Basically, you need something like the floating ring cables Expert Sleepers makes. You can buy the ES ones or roll your own. More info here: https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacompatibility.html

As far as an aggregate audio interface, assuming you’re on a Mac, you just need to go to Applications<Utilities<AudioMidi Setup and you can set it up there. It’s considerably easier than I thought it would be to set up. Not sure how you do it on a PC, but to my understanding it basically requires a human sacrifice and serious witchcraft to do...but it can be done.

I’m running two Ultralite MK4s on a 2012 Mac Pro if that’s of any help. Haven’t tried using the Ableton CV stuff, but the same rules that apply to Silent Way, Reaktor 6 etc should still apply here.
Thanks. I'll order some of those cables later today.

I'm on a Mac running High Sierra. So, I'm hoping the aggregate audio interface set up will go smoothly, as you suggest.

I'm really looking forward to this. I'd been waiting for something to come along that could finally tear me away from the Kenton Pro 2000 I've been using for years to MIDI sequence CV gear.

It's actually a great tool that has served me well. For awhile, Kenton was like the only game in town if you wanted to integrate MIDI with vintage synths and drum machines.

But it's time to move on.

As an Ableton Live user since version 4, this solution is especially appealing.
Old 18th July 2019
I found running an aggregate device an annoyance.
That's one reason I switched to UAD Apollo.
One thing you could do is run your DC coupled interface alone when recording synths using CV Tools, then switch to your main interface when not recording?

I had a friend who damaged his interface by not using the floating ring cables.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

According to Ableton, aggregate audio interface setups aren't as stable as when using a single interface.

The problem is, my primary interface--namely, an Apogee Ensemble--isn't DC coupled. I've also not wanted to sacrifice either my ADAT port (which is connected to a UA 4710d) or the S/PDIF port (which is connected to an Eventide Eclipse) to go with an ES-3 or similar solution. Everything just works.

So, yeah, I'm hesitant to mess with this and might end up just switching out the interfaces from time to time.

As for floating ring cables, absolutely, I won't begin working with CV Tools until I've got those cables.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just had a little Boris style reshuffle which has left a 8HP space, no prizes for guessing what i have coming in the post

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just curious if anyone is using an Expert Sleepers ES-8 with Ableton CV Tools.

I have no problem getting CV out of Live through the ES-8, but getting audio back in using the Analog Inputs on ES-8 is a problem.
I see the purple ring on the Analog Input 1 (or 2, 3 or 4) but Live is not picking up ANY audio input.

I have selected the ES-8 as an output device and enabled the tracks. I have also selected ES-8 as an input device and enabled the tracks.
I also went into audio/midi setup in OS and set everything up properly. Not sure what the deal is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search