The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for 12u/104HP rack suggestions
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Looking for 12u/104HP rack suggestions

I’m heading into Eurorack world for the first time. I’ve missed years of information. I’m wanting a case for studio use only. I like the layout of the curved Goike style cases but they’re more than I’d like to spend at the moment.

The only places I know of to look are the Perfect Circuit Audio and Analogue Haven websites. Any suggestions on where else to look for a case?
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Noisebug has some of course which is within driving distance for you?
[05] Eurorack Modular – Tagged "subcategory_cases" – Noisebug

Lots of other online dealers in the USA as well but it probably gets to a point where you'll mainly be price shopping since the three dealers near you probably cover most in not all of the brands available?
ROBOTSPEAk
Synthesizers & Music Electronics - Control Voltage
Modular 8 – Performance Space | Synthesizers | Pro Audio – Portland Oregon
Patchwerks - 1-844-WAVEFRM - Synthesizer Sales, Education, Community
https://www.ctrl-mod.com/
etc etc
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Yeah I’d go take a look in a store. You guys are lucky to be able to do that. Any cases for me cost nearly half again as much due to shipping.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

These look pretty cool: Structure 344 — Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers

Otherwise I just got a tiptop mantis recently. Great studio-only case for excellent price per hp. Power seems to be great so far as well. Definitely a great case to get your feet wet (2x104hp)
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
These look pretty cool: Structure 344 — Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers

Otherwise I just got a tiptop mantis recently. Great studio-only case for excellent price per hp. Power seems to be great so far as well. Definitely a great case to get your feet wet (2x104hp)
Yes I bought the Mantis and it’s almost filled exclusively with Mutable modules which was the original plan. Coming from Buchla/Serge world I’m still kinda stuck in that “one companies vision” kind of idea. But I’d like to add another 6u of random effects, modulation modules, pulse dividers/multipliers and such. I was thinking to sell the Mantis and go for the 12u or 15u case. I’m hoping and praying I can stop myself right there.

Thanks the suggestions everyone. I’ll have a look.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Awesome good luck! Most seem to be custom when you get into that size / format
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Making your own is pretty easy, if you are into that.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by datpersian View Post
Cases are the biggest racket in the modular world, ridiculously overpriced. It's just a case for god's sake, like a piece of office furniture. Synthrotek has some reasonably priced options or building you own is even cheaper.
Cases and power as well. I've found effective ways to cheap out on both, but I'd love prebuilt cases like the Goike cases that doesn't cost a small fortune.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

If you like the Goike, MDLR Cases is your best bet. Reasonably priced, hand-made, with many different options.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Maniac

The MDLR case's seem pretty awesome. I am sorely tempted, even though I've no need to transport
anything. Personally, I am trying to decide if I want one of those, or if I am going to go with a custom
built solution.

I like the Enclave cases as well, though they seem to not be operating, possibly.

http://www.enclavecases.com/index.html
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
The MDLR case's seem pretty awesome. I am sorely tempted, even though I've no need to transport
anything. Personally, I am trying to decide if I want one of those, or if I am going to go with a custom
built solution.

I like the Enclave cases as well, though they seem to not be operating, possibly.

http://www.enclavecases.com/index.html
Enclave’s aren’t flush, which was my issue. I was also referring to his studio cases, not the performance stuff.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Enclave’s aren’t flush, which was my issue. I was also referring to his studio cases, not the performance stuff.
Ah, ok sry

Personally, if I get one of those MDLR cases (and I might) I would probably
get the performance case, just because it seems handy.

Are there any disadvantages to the performance case? Just wondering.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, ok sry

Personally, if I get one of those MDLR cases (and I might) I would probably
get the performance case, just because it seems handy.

Are there any disadvantages to the performance case? Just wondering.
I have one. No sliding nuts / flush panel mounting, so all good. It's a bit on the heavy side given that it's made of some pretty sturdy wood, and I have PSU3's in mine (and older design) so it takes some work in position the deeper modules, but I'd buy one again ... The new 126hp / 14u model is really tempting.

They're also experimenting with some new, lighter materials that was just announced on Muff's. You might want to email and see if the newer material design will carry over to the 104hp / 12u's at some point.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac

^ Those are cool, haven’t seen them til now. Personally, I want a nice fancy case, budget isn’t so much of an issue for me. Which is good as I’m not overly responsible with money.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datpersian View Post
If I was starting over or recommending an affordable place to start, I'd recommend Cheeks of Steel :

https://store.synthrotek.com/Cheeks-...-9U_p_651.html

Get some flying bus boards and a uZeus, and you have a very reasonably priced case with plenty of room to grow. And most importantly, you can focus on the modules and making music, not the piece of furniture that holds them.
Friends don't let friends buy from Syntrotek.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Friends don't let friends buy from Syntrotek.
Does Synthrotek not make quality stuff?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac

^ The principle guy is controversial apparently. He pissed a bunch of folks off with some stupid social media comments. Not a good PR guy it seems. Dunno about his stuff.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

The social media thing is honestly enough (feel free to google it if you’re so inclined...it was ugly and I’m not going to rehash it), but even if you don’t care about that, there’s also the whole issue of his power supplies catching fire, and plenty of people who have just found Synthrotek to be mediocre in general. I’m not sure if that applies to their cases as well, or just modules.
Old 13th May 2019
And here I was hoping there would be some nice additions to the what-12u-case-to-get thread, haha
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

There's also mdr.modular from Russia. I like their look especially the S-Petersburg with that stand. I'll probably build something similar myself =) It's portable and looks great on the stand.

I don't exactly know the price, but I heard it's around €300 per rack, don't know if powered or unpowered.

http://www.mdr-modular.ru/

Old 13th May 2019
Gear Guru

Even if you don't agree with Synthrotek's politics, I'd stay away from the power supplies. Mine didn't catch fire, but I did get the 'onrush' issue with his where whole racks wouldn't power up. With the uZeus, it powers up slowly anyway, so it's not a big deal. His other modules are cool, though. I like the 308 and Robotto especially. Just stay away from his power. ...and possibly his rails. I hate sliding nuts.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
There's also mdr.modular from Russia. I like their look especially the S-Petersburg with that stand. I'll probably build something similar myself =) It's portable and looks great on the stand.

I don't exactly know the price, but I heard it's around €300 per rack, don't know if powered or unpowered.

http://www.mdr-modular.ru/

Oooh that’s a nice case!
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Those mdr.modular cases are awesome looking. Had to write them for info before committing to
the Make Noise case. Which I am wavering on, as near $900 (shipped) is a lot for only 7u.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Those mdr.modular cases are awesome looking. Had to write them for info before committing to
the Make Noise case. Which I am wavering on, as near $900 (shipped) is a lot for only 7u.
Oh really... their prices went up quickly.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
Oh really... their prices went up quickly.
Well thats including the fancy metal stand. So $810.00 + probably about $70 shipping to Hawaii.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well thats including the fancy metal stand. So $810.00 + probably about $70 shipping to Hawaii.
Those 7u metal cases seem to be equally pricey...

Sooner or later I'll want a 12u or 14u portable case too and I guess I'll go the DIY route.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I heard from Dimitry:

Price for basic configuration (silver rails, sliding nuts, unpowered)
mdr.KOROLEV (3U, 60 mm depth): 93-104HP-170USD, <92HP - 160USD
mdr.KRASNOYARSK (6U, 60 mm depth) 93-104HP - 340USD, <92HP - 320USD
mdr.SARATOV (6U, 85 mm depth): 104HP - 360USD, <92HP - 340USD

Optional stand (allow to place case with 2 different angles) - 55USD
Black rails and threaded strips options are available.

Concerning the power. You can use any type of power with flying bus or I can prepare case for easy installation of power, such as Malekko power, TitpTip uZeus etc, to the back side. Or I can install the power of Russian manufacturer Motovilo. For 6U cases: 2 buses+ power – 180USD. For 3U cases: 1 bus+ power – 150USD. Specification for this type of the power: +12V - 2A, -12V - 1A, +5v - 0.7A. For 12U systems 2 sets of the power are needed. External power supply (MeanWell) can be included as option (20 USD)

E.g. the mdr.modular cases are pretty attractive. A case comparable to the
make noise case (minus the 1U CV Bus) would be about $675 with power, stand and shipped. Something like that anyway.

Old 18th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Heh, friends who don't care about the quality of office furniture, likely have never had to spend much time
in an office.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone use MDLR cases?

Using this one upright looks good but wondering about the build quality. Anyone use these?

https://www.mdlrcase.com/product/12u...eurorack-case/
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Anyone use MDLR cases?

Using this one upright looks good but wondering about the build quality. Anyone use these?

https://www.mdlrcase.com/product/12u...eurorack-case/
That's what I recommended way back ... If you get one, I'd recommend the Doepfer PSU-3 option. The PSU-3 is a little big and may constrain where you can place really deep modules in the rows they're mounted behind, but I've *NEVER* had any power issues with them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search