The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shapeshifter > Noise Engineering VCOs. It's the best DVCO, change my mind
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Shapeshifter > Noise Engineering VCOs. It's the best DVCO, change my mind

I've had the Intelligel Shapeshifter for about 3 years. Recently I wanted to try out some other complex digital oscillators and so bought, borrowed or extensively tried out the following:

noise engineering cursus iteriras
noise engineering ataraxic iteritas
noise engineering basimilus iteritas alter
noise engineering loquelic iteritas
The Harvestman - Piston Honda Mark III
Mutable Instruments - Plaits

My opinion on these modules as a shapeshifter user:

Boring. I can do everything but better with shapeshifter. The sound palette is actually very limited compared to SS.

Very similar to cursus iteriras and equally boring compared to SS

This is sort of cool as a drum module but often sounds a bit thin and overly digital

much better than the other DVCOs from noise engineering I tried but also is very boring next to the shapeshifter

Unusable glassy distorted trashy mess on most settings. With tame settings it's very boring next to the shapeshifter.

Feels like a toy, very standard unoriginal preset-like sound palette with not much interesting modulation.

Mutable Instruments - Braids
Bought this a few years ago, hated it, sold it.

I returned all modules except the basimilus iteritas alter, which is OK but sounds thin and creates a lot of crappy digital clicks when modulating with voltage block but this is comparing apples to oranges with the shapeshifter. All of the other oscillators I returned and was surprised at how boring they were next to the SS.

Anyone disagree that the SS is the best D VCO for Eurorack? If so, what is better? I have yet to find anything providing you actually know how to fully use the SS to it's full extent. Of course there are people who have used it for 10 minutes who can't get any sound out of it because they don't know about the modulation busses and MOD A is set to vocoder settings and there's no output and then they say it's **** etc, but among people who ACTUALLY know how to use it, I haven't heard anyone suggest an oscillator which is actually better....

Thoughts?
Old 21st April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMillionMangos View Post
Anyone disagree that the SS is the best D VCO for Eurorack? If so, what is better? I have yet to find anything providing you actually know how to fully use the SS to it's full extent. Of course there are people who have used it for 10 minutes who can't get any sound out of it because they don't know about the modulation busses and MOD A is set to vocoder settings and there's no output and then they say it's **** etc, but among people who ACTUALLY know how to use it, I haven't heard anyone suggest an oscillator which is actually better....

Thoughts?
Seems pretty subjective overall. Most of the other oscillators you tried are different in design and lacking certain features that the SS has built in. I wouldn’t call any of the NE stuff boring, nor would I call the PHIII “glassy distorted trash,” but context is always key. I wouldn’t argue that those other oscillators can replicate the SS either without aid of other modules (again... design and features matter). Other highly regarded digital oscillators include the ER-301 which may be more up your alley, though it sounds like you have already found what you like.

Also are we comparing wavetable oscillators or complex oscillators. There can be overlap of course, but a complex oscillator in my mind is one based fundamentally around the Buchla 259 design. The PHIII you tried for example would not qualify as a complex oscillator in my mind though it has some minor provisions for FM. The IME Hertz Donut mkI or mkII would.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac

I dont own the shapeshifter but do own the noise engineering modules. What i mostly enjoy about the ataraxic and the loquelic are the behavior in very low frequencies, especially with added noise on the ataraxic which almost functions as a rhythm generator.

Genuinly curoous about the shapeshifter, can it achieve this sort of behavior? I'm always open for a new approach..!
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthrasherx View Post
Seems pretty subjective overall. Most of the other oscillators you tried are different in design and lacking certain features that the SS has built in. I wouldn’t call any of the NE stuff boring, nor would I call the PHIII “glassy distorted trash,” but context is always key. I wouldn’t argue that those other oscillators can replicate the SS either without aid of other modules (again... design and features matter). Other highly regarded digital oscillators include the ER-301 which may be more up your alley, though it sounds like you have already found what you like.

Also are we comparing wavetable oscillators or complex oscillators. There can be overlap of course, but a complex oscillator in my mind is one based fundamentally around the Buchla 259 design. The PHIII you tried for example would not qualify as a complex oscillator in my mind though it has some minor provisions for FM. The IME Hertz Donut mkI or mkII would.
Thanks for your reply!

Sure it is all subjective I guess but I felt like I could literally do everything the NE Oscs could do on the SS yet the NE stuff couldn't do everything I can do on the SS, so when I had a couple of them in my rack I just felt they were completely redundant.

I have seen the ER-301 a lot floating around online but never got my hands on one. Maybe that is something I can look into. I have also used the IME Hertz Donut in Schneiders and wasn't amazed although it wasn't terrible, maybe I need more time with it but I don't see it as a competitor for the SS.

The way I use the SS is mostly to NOT change wavetable sets from Basic 1 or 2. Sometimes it can be fun to try the other ones but I find that the complexity you can create just by using basic 1 or 2 is sufficient to cover most sounds and if it only had basic 1 or 2 installed I wouldn't miss the others at all. So in this sense I don't even use the SS as a wavetable oscillator anyway and use it more as a "normal" complex oscillator. I also have the Make noise DPO and love how it sounds, for example, try doing hard sync with saws on the SS and then try the exact same thing on the DPO and it will just sound better. But the SS dwarfs the DPO for possibilities.

The point of the thread was not necessarily that I was looking for a new oscillator but more to see if people agreed the SS was the best D VCO, which I am arguing it is at this point. Although I will have to check out the ER-301.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalfarm View Post
I dont own the shapeshifter but do own the noise engineering modules. What i mostly enjoy about the ataraxic and the loquelic are the behavior in very low frequencies, especially with added noise on the ataraxic which almost functions as a rhythm generator.

Genuinly curoous about the shapeshifter, can it achieve this sort of behavior? I'm always open for a new approach..!
yes the shapeshifter can create totally crazy sounds by using low frequencies and also has LFO modes and with the new firmware update which ships with new modules you have a secret random function which randomises all parameters and gets truly bonkers sounds.
Old 21st April 2019
Here for the gear

I understand. I guess my fundamental point is that each module you are comparing against the SS all feature major differences in design and will have a harder time mimicking the SS as a result. It’s not quite an apple and oranges type of comparison, but definitely not an equivalent comparison either outside of being digital. The SS is more of a Swiss Army knife where the other modules you listed are more specific in what they do.

As for best, I honestly don’t know. The SS isn’t on my radar even if it is capable of doing things I like. I personally like the PHIII (I have a few harvestman modules) precisely because it is pretty unashamedly digital and reminds me of synths like the Ensoniq ESQ-1 or Waldorf Microwave. I had the LI previously and liked it, but it was definitely a different beast than the PHIII. Also had the Braids... agree with your assessment there. Not a fan.

My favorite is currently the Hertz Donut mkIII which is very different from the classic complex oscillator design of the mkI (also have) or mkII. It gets pretty aggressive tones which suits my tastes just fine.

This ended up being more of a ramble than I was planning. I think in your case the ER-301 would be a good competitor of “best” to the SS. Both are quite capable and feature packed. Personally I like my modules to have some quirks or have a certain character to exploit.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac

In full understanding that the shapeshifter is probably a big flexibel beast, if anything i believe i would also Still opt rather for NE because the SS UI seems simply harder to Navigate than a single given NE module. To me, the biggest wow factor of NE modules wasnt even the quality of sounds but rather the incredibly chaotic interaction of the parameters, each of which had a dedicated knob and CV input while still being comparatively small in HP. The Shapeshifter seems to sacrifice immediacy with flexibility which makes it kind of off-putting at first glance. To me NE modules have hit a sweet spot there.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
the new firmware update which ships with new modules you have a secret random function which randomises all parameters and gets truly bonkers sounds.
Wait...what? Which firmware is this? I must’ve overlooked an update
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amped View Post
Wait...what? Which firmware is this? I must’ve overlooked an update
AFAIK there was only one major update in the last few years.

"pressing COMBO MODE and MORPH while in PRESET MODE randomizes the settings"
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Interesting post. I've been undecided about what digital oscillator to try next, as I can't seem to find something that is flexible enough not to get boring after a few weeks, I tend to agree on MI gear, Plaits is def my worst purchase. I was considering NE's Cursus Iteritas Percido, i'll take a look at SS too, chrz.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

This is definitely an apples and oranges, personal taste thing. I’ve not used the SS but it has been in my plans and nearly purchased countless times over the years (and still might be, despite anything I say in the rest of this post...tho some instinct tells me to just hold out a little longer in case a new version is released), but what has stopped me from buying every time is that to me it sounds a lot like the old 90s digital synths that I have sitting around collecting dust (FWIW, I have the same feeling about the Rainmaker, which definitely excites me a lot but at the end of the day kinda sounds like the old Digitech rack unit I have in a box...which is equally as cool in features but lacks some weight in sound, just like the Rainmaker or Shapeshifter to my ears). There’s a lot to love about the SS, but at least in all the demos I’ve checked out it just seems like it’s missing some cajones, and it’s not an analog vs digital thing.

In contrast, I own two NE oscs, the BIA and just recently the Manis Iteritas. Before I got the MI, I was describing the BIA as “Skinny Puppy/Download” in a module because of how aggressive and versatile it is...but it sounds almost anemic compared to the MI. That module could cut a mans head clean off. Analog schmanalog. I’ve got a couple other NE modules too, and the last word they make me think of is “boring”...enough so that I’m starting to justify one more rack that is almost exclusively NE. Again tho, it’s an apples/oranges, personal taste thing.

I kinda hear you on Braids, but after having it for a few years and feeling ho-hum on it I learned a couple new tricks and tried patching it with knowledge I’d acquired since getting it, and it has definitely dropped my jaw a few times since exploring it differently...I guess that’s the point I really want to make. It’s awesome that you’ve bonded so well with the Shapeshifter (and I’d love to hear what you’re doing with it), but after 3 years you’ve probably explored it in great depth. Do all the other digital oscs you’ve tried suck because they’re mediocre, or because you haven’t had 3 years of close experience with them? I’ve had some gear for 5-10 years, and will learn something new and pick it up again and it becomes like a new instrument...a few hours to weeks with a new tool only leads to snap judgments and blaming the gear and not the time I invested in it. Talking about “what digital osc is ‘best’” is a fools errand, as it’s up to the features of the module and how you apply it.

I mention all this because I see you also talking about the Orthogonal Devices ER-301 here as an option essentially for “best digital osc”. And I won’t try to deter you, because it is amazing and could definitely fit that role if you want it to. Take the “Sound Computer” name pretty literally tho, and realize that means programming everything essentially from the ground up...it’s a digital modular inside your Modular. You can definitely download patches from the OD forum, but it’s basically a blank slate and it’s up to you to program it to your needs. It’s incredibly powerful but only as good as what you put into it, honestly more than just about any other piece of gear I’ve used...not difficult to use at all, but it requires intent. If you’re going to spend anything close to $1k USD on a single module, intent isn’t a bad thing to have. It’s certainly fully featured, but may or may not be the “best” for you. If it isn’t...I see nothing wrong with buying multiple Shapeshifters and really designing your sound around them.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I've always had SS on my radar as something I'd like to try out so thanks for the comparisons. I've had the NE BIA in my rack and did enjoy it but I was having power issues (which turned out to be case related) and swapped it for a Neuron which I totally regret. My only DVCO now is Plaits and I'm using it a lot as a drum voice so I don't really see SS filling the role it's currently playing. One of the great features of Plaits is CV over algorithm selection. Not sue if the SS can do that but it's a happy accident waiting to happen. The two reasons I've never been willing to pony up the HP and $$ for SS is one, what Accent mentioned about it being a little long in the tooth and with Intellijel having the tendency to do a lot of revisions of modules, I was always nervous about getting stuck with a v1 which v2 is coming out in six months or whatever. The second reason is that I don't usually need or want a lot of complexity in my VCO. I get a lot of mileage out of layering and processing simple sounds and sharing modulation among the layers. It's the same reason I've never ponied up for a DPO. I'd love to play with one if I had unlimited space and funds but I have a feeling I would just end up using the basic wave shapes a lot and on that front I'm better served by a pair of standard four(ish) shape VCOs. I have really grown to like the STO though and tastes change so I try to keep an open mind.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I owned the shapeshifter for a few years as well.
I've tried many of the other DCO's you've mentioned.
and yes, as DCO's or Wavetables... yes the shapeshifter slays all the ones listed.

yet after owning the SyntTech E370, I have no regrets selling the shapeshifter.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
and yes, as DCO's or Wavetables... yes the shapeshifter slays all the ones listed.

LOL just looked up the SyntTech E370 and it is the 3rd most expensive eurorack module in the whole of schneidersladen.

Looks pretty serious, I'll need to have a look at that for sure. But I would have to buy a dedicated skiff if I liked it because I don't have enough room for that in my console.

The aesthetics aren't amazing but it certainly looks very capable. First time I've heard of it!
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

it's serious. and totally worth it.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL just looked up the SyntTech E370 and it is the 3rd most expensive eurorack module in the whole of schneidersladen.

Looks pretty serious, I'll need to have a look at that for sure. But I would have to buy a dedicated skiff if I liked it because I don't have enough room for that in my console.

The aesthetics aren't amazing but it certainly looks very capable. First time I've heard of it!
If you don't want the quad version there is also this Synthesis Technology E352 Cloud Terrarium - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

Supremely subjective. I've got a Shapeshifter and barely touch the thing. Loquelic Iteritas on the other hand, me love you long time. And don't get me started on the Make Noise DPO. *splursh*
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Supremely subjective. I've got a Shapeshifter and barely touch the thing. Loquelic Iteritas on the other hand, me love you long time. And don't get me started on the Make Noise DPO. *splursh*
DPO - I have one. Agree. It's great. IMHO best analogue eurorack osc

I'm assuming you haven't surrendered an entire day sitting down with your shapeshifter with the manual and really persevering to learn the unit inside out. I say this because you can do exactly what the Loquelic Iteritas does simply by having the shapeshifter on Basic 1 / basic 1, using the fold output and modulating FM, fold and shape. But from there you can do exactly the same **** plus a million additional things that the Loquelic Iteritas could never do.
Old 23rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Alright I’ll bite... again...

You are still comparing fundamentally different oscillators and coming up with a subjective feeling about them.

For example, let’s take the SS vs the LI:
They both offer PM synthesis but the results are not the same due to the modulation destinations available. They both have a sound and take you down different sonic paths.

The SS doesn't offer the LI's VO or SS modes (a VOSIM algorithm and summation synthesis) which are fundamentally different methods of synthesis and algorithms that I doubt the Shapeshifter could replicate easily, if at all. If you were selective with the two wave banks on the Shapeshifter and patient with the sync and combining modes, you could maybe get similar static results, but once you toss modulation at either, they’ll quickly part ways in response once again.

The SS offers a lot of waveforms to select from giving you a wide sonic palette, certainly wider than the LI since it doesn’t feature wavetables. The SS offers things like chord mode, the LI does not.

The Shapeshifter seems like it fits your workflow well and it is a sound you prefer. That’s totally ok. I just have to balk at it doing exactly the same things that this other oscillator does when that’s not accurate and ignores the fundamentally different design considerations these various manufacturers have taken with their oscillators.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthrasherx View Post
The Shapeshifter seems like it fits your workflow well and it is a sound you prefer. That’s totally ok. I just have to balk at it doing exactly the same things that this other oscillator does when that’s not accurate and ignores the fundamentally different design considerations these various manufacturers have taken with their oscillators.
Of course I don't mean you can use the exact same algorithms on the SS because there are no such modes. Of corse. I was just saying the general sonic palate you get from the LI can be replicated in a close enough way to call it "the same kind of ****" in about 4 seconds on the SS. Granted, if you don't want to twiddle knobs and not have to think about what it going on in the unit then the LI is better than the SS hands down but I don't care much for just sitting twiddling knobs. The way I work is, I work towards a goal sound which I have in my head. Sometimes I'm surprised along the way, but generally I have something in my head and I try and achieve exactly that. I am aware however that many or even most people just sit and twiddle until they hear something they like. That is not bad or anything, that's just not my way of working.

But the tread is about debating which is the BEST digital eurorack VCO.... do you actually think the LI is objectively better than the SS in some way? Or do you just think it is more fun or something? Would your position be, I find the LI more fun but the best DVCO is probably the SS or the super expensive thing someone else posted?
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
the best DVCO is probably the SS or the super expensive thing someone else posted?
it's the SynthTech E370 for sure.
Old 23rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
But the tread is about debating which is the BEST digital eurorack VCO.... do you actually think the LI is objectively better than the SS in some way? Or do you just think it is more fun or something? Would your position be, I find the LI more fun but the best DVCO is probably the SS or the super expensive thing someone else posted?
Do I think the LI is better than the SS? No, but my no is contextual. SS is a super powerful and flexible option, there is no denying that. I also don’t think there is a “one dvco to rule them all” either. The goal of your system, specific sounds you are after, or the type of music you create all matter and there may be a better option to get there.

Is the SS the most flexible? It certainly makes a strong case for it though the ER-301 makes possible stronger case. Sometimes inspiration is found in limitations though or inspiration can be found in fundamental design considerations (type of synthesis, amount / destination of modulation inputs). The NE stuff is definitely fairly targeted with its algorithms and sonic palette. That can cut both ways.

Personally I’m a big fan of the Harvestman modules precisely because they are lower bit resolution, gritty, and fairly unashamedly digital. Those jagged digital waveforms do wonders passing through my various vacuum tube modules and filters. Is that going to work for every style of music? Hell no. Are they the best for me? So far, absolutely.
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Nut
Strongly disagree about the Shapeshifter. I’ve had one a total of 3 times since it’s release. I think the selection of waves is as boring as possible, the two line LCD was a huge mistake on a $500 module, the layout is pretty but also fairly nonsensical to navigate and the wavefolder is a nice touch but has very little character of it’s own, and the chord mode makes everything sound like bad general midi presets.

Noise Engineering on the other hand, I have... almost every module they make. It’s about finding the voice in each that suits what you need it for. They are so flexible and so sensitive to modulation that you have to consciously seek out it’s sound and then see where that fits in a larger context. Loquelic excels at variety, Ataraxic excels at high leads and sequences but also noise bursts, Basimilus is dead on 909 hats or kicks, and a ton in between, Manis is essentially the coolest thing in my rack. Snares, claps, bells, basses.. I have several of them. Cursus is more tameable and less percussive, pads, brass, glassy sounds. Once you find the voice in the module, you literary have a handcrafted electronic orchestra. Noise Engineering to me, is the only
module maker that has a sound that simply cannot be duplicated outside of Eurorack and is one of the only reasons I still bother with Euro at all.
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolongerhuman View Post
Noise Engineering to me, is the only
module maker that has a sound that simply cannot be duplicated outside of Eurorack and is one of the only reasons I still bother with Euro at all.
Two things come to mind.... first is that noise engineering have released their main modules as software, namely reason extensions. Second thing, if you only find value within eurorack from the sound of these NE modules and not from the concept of modular patching itself then you are not a modular enthusiast to begin with lol
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Two things come to mind.... first is that noise engineering have released their main modules as software, namely reason extensions. Second thing, if you only find value within eurorack from the sound of these NE modules and not from the concept of modular patching itself then you are not a modular enthusiast to begin with lol

Two things come to mind.... modular isn’t just about sound it’s about tactility. I prefer the hands on approach to software.

Second, Noise Engineering hasn’t released any of their trigger modules or the new distortion or much at all besides the oscillators as plug ins.

I’m not a modular enthusiast, I’m a music enthusiast who has had a modular for 6 year to make music with. Haha.
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post

Thread-lift here..

Also sold my Shapeshifter after getting the E370, not only because of it though. With the digital oscillators i own - E370, SWN, HertzDonut3 - the overlap was too big. E370 "sounds" better than everything else by far and is imo the king of wavetables, HDonut3 is awesome for wickedness-FM in every way, and SWN (most recent) is also wavetables but a good contender with lots of possibilities with the 6 voices and other goodness.

Also, i felt that SS was a bit convoluted and packed a little bit too much functionality into itself. But it´s a great module that i would keep and push to get the most out of it, if circumstances were different.

At the moment my setup is pretty complete at least when it comes to sound sources. I also have Instruo Cs-L to top it off, and not much today makes me GAS. A new module would have to be outstanding and bring something unique to the table, to be worth it.

One i´m considering is the MOK/1010 WaveRazor, that with it´s slicing and such looks interesting. Also it has a lot of CV inputs which looks promising from a modulation perspective. However i still haven´t heard any really convincing demos of it, so..
Xaoc Odessa and Hexinverter Mindphaser are two not yet released modules that probably will blow a lot of people´s minds. I think having Cs-L and HzDonut3 cancels Mindphaser for me though, so i´m left with Odessa. Going to look into it a bit more..

Last edited by defdaft; 23rd August 2019 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Oh..
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've had the Intelligel Shapeshifter for about 3 years. Recently I wanted to try out some other complex digital oscillators and so bought, borrowed or extensively tried out the following:

My opinion on these modules as a shapeshifter user:

Boring. I can do everything but better with shapeshifter. The sound palette is actually very limited compared to SS.

Very similar to cursus iteriras and equally boring compared to SS

This is sort of cool as a drum module but often sounds a bit thin and overly digital

much better than the other DVCOs from noise engineering I tried but also is very boring next to the shapeshifter

Unusable glassy distorted trashy mess on most settings. With tame settings it's very boring next to the shapeshifter.

Feels like a toy, very standard unoriginal preset-like sound palette with not much interesting modulation.

Mutable Instruments - Braids
Bought this a few years ago, hated it, sold it.

I returned all modules except the basimilus iteritas alter, which is OK but sounds thin and creates a lot of crappy digital clicks when modulating with voltage block but this is comparing apples to oranges with the shapeshifter. All of the other oscillators I returned and was surprised at how boring they were next to the SS.

Thoughts?
afaik all noise engineering modules are drum modules?? or? thats what they do kinda.

i think you should try the e352.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
afaik all noise engineering modules are drum modules?? or? thats what they do kinda.

i think you should try the e352.
Really?!?
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

no?
Old 31st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
no?
Random video.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search