The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show me your rack and tell me what to do with it! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Show me your rack and tell me what to do with it!

I started my modular journey like 9 months ago and went thru a lot of changings, bought and sold dozens of modules and cases and completely went nuts. Now I often have the problem, that my patches don’t really go beyond my classic subtractive way of thinking...meaning OSC - Filter - VCA and probably some FX. All that fairly modulated...but still it feels not really ground-breaking.

That’s why I had this idea:

Post your rack (I'll do it first now) and ppl can comment and suggest patches and ways to work. My hope is, that someone with an open mind can give me ideas and tips of what I can do with my case, that I didn’t thought about.

I think it’s important to add the way I use my modular. I don’t do any drone stuff or self generating sounds. I usually treat my modular like a classic synth. Meaning I do a patch as mention above and record a jam into my DAW. I never do multiple sounds together or create complete tracks.

So here’s my case....shoot!::

2. Rack (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) (copy) - Eurorack Modular System from Motiondrive on ModularGrid
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe try having the MIDI sequence the pitch of a line, and then use the Metropolis to control filter modulation?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Have you messed around with Maths much? You can do tons of stuff with it. Feed your modulators and clocks into
it using them as oscillators. Use it as a mixer and creatively move between or modify the signals with it. Creative
gating or envelopes, boolean operations etc... You've got a nice rig there, lots of fun stuff to do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Have you messed around with Maths much? You can do tons of stuff with it. Feed your modulators and clocks into
it using them as oscillators. Use it as a mixer and creatively move between or modify the signals with it. Creative
gating or envelopes, boolean operations etc... You've got a nice rig there, lots of fun stuff to do.
Thx for the ideas! I use Maths mostly for three things yet. As a classic AD Envelope, a LFO and to get a glide effect I slew the CV before going into the Oscillators. But I know, I could do so much more with than those basic things. Good point...gotta check out Maths more! Whats boolean operations btw?

Btw...I hope you guys got my idea right...its not only about my rig...I guess there are many ppl out there like me, kind of stuck to the same patches. So everybody is welcome to post their cases and asking for inputs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Boolean is just a fancy way of saying it has logic functions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Boolean is just a fancy way of saying it has logic functions.
haha...got it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Maybe try having the MIDI sequence the pitch of a line, and then use the Metropolis to control filter modulation?
I like to use Marbles' X outputs for that too, either random or not-so-random.

Also feeding pitch CV from Metropolis into Marbles' Spread input in order to process the Metropolis melody can be worthwhile. Or to add a variation of it.

Or feeding X1 from Marbles into V/Oct of Plaits and X3 from Marbles into Plaits' FM input. Sometimes this can sound nice, most of the times it doesn't =)

However, you have a nice rig, looks like endless fun to me.

edit: And I think this thread is a good idea!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just think that's something that's overlooked, and why I love buying sequencers, is that they can be used for a number of different things besides pitch. Korg MS2000 is what got me into thinking about modular because its sequencers can be assigned to so many different modulation destinations. In particular, arpeggiation plus sequenced filter cutoff is a recipe for magical sounds.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search