The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First build - Determining module cohesion? Modular Synthesizers
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
First build - Determining module cohesion?

Planning my first build out before I purchase everything. I’ve got it all on Modular Grid but size is no issue as I’m getting a pretty big case as investment for the inevitable future.

I’m more concerned with my system’s cohesion as a novice.

Current plans:

Case - Pittsburgh Modular Structure 270
Oscillator - Mutable Instruments Plaits
Filter - Doepfer A-106 SEM
Functions - Make Noise Maths
Various utility - Expert Sleepers Disting MK4
[̶U̶]̶A̶D̶S̶R̶[̶/̶U̶]̶ ̶-̶ ̶2̶H̶P̶ ̶A̶D̶S̶R̶ ̶x̶ ̶2̶
[̶U̶]̶V̶C̶A̶[̶/̶U̶]̶ ̶-̶ ̶2̶H̶P̶ ̶V̶C̶A̶ ̶(̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶)̶
Midi Control from Octatrack - MB Hexinverter
Other - Attenuator (forget which, I think Dreadbox)

Anything here you’d remove or add? Any advice in general as to how these would function together and the amount of creativity to be found? I’m not necessarily looking to spend toooo much more but I will for the right module that’d enhance this setup’s capabilities for a while (I am selling my OB-6 for this after all).

Cheers
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Skip the 2hp stuff. They’re for when you know what you want and aretrying to squeeze the last bits of functionality into your limited HP.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Skip the 2hp stuff. They’re for when you know what you want and aretrying to squeeze the last bits of functionality into your limited HP.
Gotcha makes sense. Thank you.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Cohesion was the main reason I passed on Mutable stuff. While very cool and all, they just
seemed to me like they were best suited to being paired with their sibling modules. E.g. if
I were going to buy them, I would prefer to get a good range of them at the same time.
Of course this is just my personal preference and certainly not a rule.

Anyway, size and availability issues prevented that, so I passed on them, even while
some of them were on sale for a really good deal. Also I wanted something different,
everyone goes for the mutable stuff, seemingly.

Back on topic, I would think with such a large case whatever you choose wouldn't
matter too much. Just be sure you have a functioning synth to get started, paying
attention as to the usefulness of each module in the long run. Do this with regard
to they type of sounds you want to create and you should be fine.

It's a good idea to mess with the virtual products as well, e.g. VCV, Voltage Modular
Reaktor etc. This can give you a good idea of the types of modules you will get
a lot of use from. Then you can make sure to account for them on the hardware side of things.

While personally, I am new to Eurorack, I am no stranger to the technical side of audio
synthesis, so I had years of foreknowledge to leverage while making my decisions.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Cohesion was the main reason I passed on Mutable stuff. While very cool and all, they just
seemed to me like they were best suited to being paired with their sibling modules. E.g. if
I were going to buy them, I would prefer to get a good range of them at the same time.
Of course this is just my personal preference and certainly not a rule.

Anyway, size and availability issues prevented that, so I passed on them, even while
some of them were on sale for a really good deal. Also I wanted something different,
everyone goes for the mutable stuff, seemingly.

Back on topic, I would think with such a large case whatever you choose wouldn't
matter too much. Just be sure you have a functioning synth to get started, paying
attention as to the usefulness of each module in the long run. Do this with regard
to they type of sounds you want to create and you should be fine.

It's a good idea to mess with the virtual products as well, e.g. VCV, Voltage Modular
Reaktor etc. This can give you a good idea of the types of modules you will get
a lot of use from. Then you can make sure to account for them on the hardware side of things.

While personally, I am new to Eurorack, I am no stranger to the technical side of audio
synthesis, so I had years of foreknowledge to leverage while making my decisions.

Cheers and good luck.
I decided to finalize my main setup before getting into modular actually. I just snagged a Digitone for a pretty low price, and that completes my non-modular setup. I studied computer/electrical engineering at University but I didn't do too much soldering as I was focused on coding. I'm thinking about picking up a hot air reflow station and doing a gang of complete DIY modules before I spend money on high-end modules. I've been using synthesizers for around 6-7 years now, my first was a MicroBrute which introduced me very subtly to the concept....

Still haven't broken into the hobby for good reason (money...).

Oh well, next year will be my modular focused year I suppose, I'll just have to chop up modular samples with my Octatrack for now and keep designing my dream on Modular Grid before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the info regardless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search