The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
analogue synths live - limiter? headphones? iem?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

analogue synths live - limiter? headphones? iem?

Hello all - I've been asked to join a local noisy psychadelic blues band for some bass and swirly noises... this is all well and good but the gigs are generally 'bring your own pa' type things, and the PA is mostly for the singer.

I should mention they play LOUD.

So then there's me with a mopho and a monotribe, through a desk, into one side of the PA (leaving the other side for the vocals undistorted by whatever I'm pushing through)..

The issue is I can barely hear any damn thing. So I'm thinking headphones, closed or maybe IEMs... but the blasting occasional squeals from the synths (by accident more than design, but hey) pose a serious threat so I reckon I'll need a limiter..

So my general question is: as a synth player with a very loud small-fry band, how do you cope?

and my more specific question: what limiter should I grab? I think the obvious answer would be a second hand dominator, but I wouldn't really want to use that elsewhere in the studio, can an 1176 be fast enough for ear-protection, that would have more non-live mileage for me...?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

It's funny reading about somebody wanting a limiter/compressor for what they were originally intended for. Part of me's like "dude, you're doing it wrong!" but technically, you're quite right.

For your situation, I'd vote headphones, but put through a separate headphone amp so you can control the level coming to your ears. Just ride the volume and roll it back a little whenever you know you're about to squeal like a sexy saxophonist. You could use a limiter or a compressor, but to me that just sounds like overkill if you're using it for monitoring.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just ride the volume and roll it back a little whenever you know you're about to squeal like a sexy saxophonist.
yeaaaaaah, but sometimes I don't actually know that's about to happen...
The more i think about it the more I think my ears, the tweeters, the audience, the band probably need a limiter in there...

It seems some folk use rnc for this so that might be useful in the studio still

but I'd really love to know if anyone thinks an 1176 could do protection duty??
Beuller?
anyone??

P.s. I realise i posted this in modular by mistake, (I mean, it applies just as much to modular folk, but I'm not using one) feel free to move to where it oughta be...
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

First, I'd suggest a small mixer with a headphone out for monitoring. Get something with balanced outs to make the FoH guy happy and skip the DI's.

As for a compressor, the RNC is really nice. I have one hooked up to the output chain of my modular with a "glue" type setting; A 2:1 ratio with the reduction set so just the first couple of LEDs light up, about a 2-4db reduction.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
First, I'd suggest a small mixer with a headphone out for monitoring. Get something with balanced outs to make the FoH guy happy and skip the DI's.

As for a compressor, the RNC is really nice. I have one hooked up to the output chain of my modular with a "glue" type setting; A 2:1 ratio with the reduction set so just the first couple of LEDs light up, about a 2-4db reduction.
cheers, yes we're using a desk, which is probably how i'll drive the headphones if I can ensure a limiter is always upstream.

your RNC settings sound like "glue" rather than protection though.. Playing live do you use it at infinite as an actual limiter?
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

An 1176 FET style comp is pretty fast, especially if it has the "all buttons in" setting available. They are also quite dirty when they are set up as limiters though. It can be a great effect on drums and electric guitars but I don't think I would want it on all my synths. Not to mention that they are usually mono (may not be a problem). An SSL style VCA comp would probably be a better choice but I feel like it would be even better to just have more control over the dynamics at the source.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

yeah i think the idea is that general produced sounds wouldn't hit the threshold, but it would be there if a resonant squeal or a synth snare suddenly got out of hand... I don't want that in my headphones...
Old 5th April 2019
M32
Lives for gear
Something like the RNC wouldn't be limiting, just averaging out the dynamics, making the softer passages more present and the squeals a bit less jumping out, you'll be able to set the average level a bit more accurately.

Good monitoring is essential, I'd rather have a monitor or amp next to me than headphones so I can hear the other musicians and the overall balance a bit better.

I did a gig with some acoustic musicians a while back, and my monitor died during the first few minutes, so I did the rest on headphones. Not so nice, I had a hard time knowing how everything sounded in context, afterwards people said it sounded good, but I had the feeling I was playing blind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search