The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
modular and acoustic instruments Audio Interfaces
Old 31st March 2019
Here for the gear

modular and acoustic instruments

I dusted off the old cello for this rather gritty, mainly modular piece. Heavy focus on Warps, Rings and Plaits.

Anybody else into combining modular synth compositions and acoustic instruments?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I used an acoustic guitar and mounds of modular for this track:

A Decanter of Nothing (Online Exclusive) | The Organism
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I used an acoustic guitar in the video below. It was just recorded dry into the MPC so there's not much modular interaction going on. It was the last thing I added to the track and I'm glad I did it. There was a sonic hole in the mix that was just begging for guitar chords. I'm thinking I might work on the mix a little. There is something funny about he way it sits but it may just be that my ears aren't used mixing to acoustic guitar.

Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I dusted off the old cello for this rather gritty, mainly modular piece. Heavy focus on Warps, Rings and Plaits.

That was great! I really enjoyed it!
Old 5th April 2019
M32
Lives for gear
A good friend is a wizard on anything with strings, and we've been doing all kinds of experiments.

guitar, cello and bass through a squaver pitch/envelope tracker playing various synths is brilliant, especially the resonances and timbre of the electric cello gave some superinteresting character to analog synths, we did a jam where he was playing the lead like this and I was doing the ensemble strings with the Seaboard rise. Instant Riuichy Sakamoto/movie soundtrack vibes.

We also experimented with electric bass and clouds and the shimmer algo from a Big Sky, lovely to have all those harmonic washes from those fundamental bass string vibrations. Ever played a choir from a bass?

E bass through a Sherman filter is just gnarly, it has envelope and pitch tracking as well, and you can do all sorts of rythmic sidechaining from the drums. Fat.

I have rings for a few days, but we haven't even got round to experimenting with the excitation input, it's so deep and wonderfull.

Guitar and a phase locked loop module is another experiment, gets weird really quickly and hard to control/ use consistently. Needs more research.

Guitar/bass with moogerfooger pedals seems more traditional, but you can get pretty far out. The ring mod and especially the phaser with the LFO in or near audio rate gives all kinds of formant vowel characteristics.

The nicest was pitch following a guitar, sending it into the mf108 chorus, thats just on the edge of feedback and having the pitch track the rate/frequency of the chorus. You get this singing saw/theremin like duet between the guitar and the feedback noise, reminded me of the 'La Cite Des Enfants Perdus' or 'Delicatessen' soundtracks.

Processing audio and acoustics is my main goal now getting into eurorack, I have plenty of other gear for more traditional synth sounds. That and percussive sounds outside the classic drum spectrum.
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Derp: nice, dark mood.

subdo: chill! like drinks on the beach.

M32: Many interesting ideas! A bunch more developed and intricate than what I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
That was great! I really enjoyed it!
Thanks!
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Anybody else into combining modular synth compositions and acoustic instruments?
Nice I thought that really excellent. Would be great for film imho.
Anyway, I think one of the biggest hurdles in regard to eurorack is figuring out how to incorporate it into one's musical ideas.

This is a very successful example I think.

-Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Great stuff, enjoyed this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search