The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLouds - successor? or uClouds Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear
CLouds - successor? or uClouds

So i found a second hand Clouds module and made a deal, but the seller stopped responding.
I really wanted one, so now i'm looking at other options.

Two questions:

There is some talk of a succesor, can anyone shed some light on what timeframe to expect for it to be released?

There are the uClouds alternatives, like from a company called Tall Dog,
but does anyone know where to order one in Europe (specifically Belgium)?
I can't seem to find any online stores selling it...
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

I have a Clouds and a uClouds.
I find uClouds more cramped to use.
The MI Clouds turn up on Muffwigglers from time to time- I'd hold out for one there if I were you.
Old 30th March 2019
Go wild, go Supercell.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

I got the super cell

brings so much more ease of use and versatility to the module.
it's how it's always been meant to be.
Old 30th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
There is some talk of a succesor, can anyone shed some light on what timeframe to expect for it to be released?
No one could. Émilie, the creator, has said that there is no ETA at the moment. She hasn't been working on it for many months and don''t know when she will pick it up. When it's picked up it'll be many months before it's actually produced.

My guess is that it won't be released in 2019.
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear
Supercell is cool, but that is one big fat module!

The good thing is the seller did come through, so i am now oficially into eurorack with my first module, an original clouds

I'm really torn as to what to get next, as i don't have a huge budget. Wondering what to get that will be a good long term investment, as well as expanding the functionality quickly so i can have more fun with it...

I'm thinking
1.Rings
2.Veils
3. some kind of modulator, maybe the batumi LFO

I already have a dreadbox Nyx semi-modular that can interface directly.

Edit*
I've just been experimenting with it and it is amazeballs.
Only problem is i like my first patch so much, my reaction was, damn. i'm just going to have to keep it like that and buy another one

It's amazing how you can get endless beautiful variations with just some random modulations and a looping envelope!
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

One thing I overlooked for a long time on clouds is the trigger input which lets you control when it reads in grains. A lot of fun can be had by putting the output of a clock divider in there and clocking it at various divisions of your tempo.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

I still think MI discontinued it prematurely. It's one of the best-selling modules ever made and there's currently no successor. Meanwhile, all these other little companies are raking in the dough by making a clone. I've got a clone Rings, and honestly it just feels weird using one of Emilie's ideas in someone else's panel. I'm often tempted to buy an OG just so I can sleep at night. Hopefully she'll come back to Clouds and bring us something monstrous and awesome.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Holy cow, that SuperCell is super big.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

A couple of months ago I got the uClouds , was very impressed but hated the tiny knobs so soon changed it for the real thing. I don't like the bigger clones either for the same reasons Derp mentioned. And the OG MI is very good build quality which helps the nano dialing that is often required.

First I thought Clouds was fun but a one trick pony. But it didn't take long to realise its much deeper and more versatile than that. I'm still constantly finding new sonic territories and I haven't even tried the alternative firm wares, and only recently begun using external cv modulations. Once it actually started to mumble like a talking robot - too bad I lost that patch
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

If you're after Clouds for the granular capabilities, the new Rossum Panharmonium sounds like it might be another option from the few demo's I've seen.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
I haven't even tried the alternative firm wares
I stopped recommending alternate firmwares because they're usually a pain in the ass with all of the odd button pushing and changed functions, but Parasites for Clouds is a great one. The Oliverb mode on it is worth getting a Clouds for. It rivals Halls of Valhalla as far as my favorite reverbs are concerned. And you can use the Clouds as normal without having to change back.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
If you're after Clouds for the granular capabilities, the new Rossum Panharmonium sounds like it might be another option from the few demo's I've seen.
Not exactly Clouds but that sounds pretty damn good:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I saw this one yesterday:

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Holy cow, that SuperCell is super big.
New version is much smaller though...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vcvrack clouds are very nice, they have about every version and format available. Easy to integrate in your euro rack with es-8. Is nice having 4 clouds to bounce off each other, then flip that back into the physical rack. Clouds with chronoblob I think is a nice combo too in vcvrack. I do want to get a couple of clouds when the new version comes out, so the vcvrack is helping on my gas till the physical version is available .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search