The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Neutron + Korg SQ-1 Cv/MIDI/DAW Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th March 2019
Here for the gear

Behringer Neutron + Korg SQ-1 Cv/MIDI/DAW

Hi, I am hardware newb and would really appreciate an advice regarding proper setup of the mentioned things. My audio interface is UR-22 which has midi in/out. I would like to know if it is possible to record the midi sequence from SQ-1 to the DAW (Reason 10) to be displayed as midi notes. Can I also backwards sequence Neutron from the DAW? And can I sync it to the DAW so it stops the sequence when I stop the playback in DAW? Basically I am looking for how far the hw setup can be incorporated with the DAW to be comfortably used for production or live jam, rather than just recording audio output. Thanks much!
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, you can do all of these things with just MIDI cables and what you have.
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yes, you can do all of these things with just MIDI cables and what you have.
Thanks a lot! Would you be able to tell me if the sq-1 can be both charged and midi/ sync via the usb-midi at the same time?
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head

Yes, that's how mine it set up, though only as sync/ charging by USB, never tried to record its MIDI output but now it's been mentioned....
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

So far I have not been able to start/stop and tempo sync Reason with Neutron. I use the data usb cable and Reason detects the device but nothing..although I have set the sync in edit/preferences. I guess it is supposed to be possible to hit play on SQ so it triggers play on Reason or the other way round. Also I am wondering if it is possible to start/stop sync the LFO to the sequencer, not only to key. Thank you for help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I figured it out. Change clock button left in the bottom of Reason sequencer. Now it syncs to tempo and start /stop. The change of grid of SQ-1 wihin the same tempo is a bit tricky though. It requires a switch off, which makes SQ removed from Reason and the external midi/sync needs to be adjusted again in Reason preferences.
Old 4 weeks ago
I believe you HAVE to use the MIDI output to record it back into the DAW. If the SQ-1 is synced over USB, it stops outputting MIDI over USB. If its not synced, then it will send whatever out USB/MIDI/everything.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You can likely use a midi loopback to record from the SQ-1 without having to turn it off or reset it etc. I use loopbe 1 for that type of thing. Though I never tried to record it specifically in Reason.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
I believe you HAVE to use the MIDI output to record it back into the DAW. If the SQ-1 is synced over USB, it stops outputting MIDI over USB. If its not synced, then it will send whatever out USB/MIDI/everything.
When the SQ-1 receives MIDI Clock data over USB it does not send out any MIDI notes over DIN either. Just CV/Gate.

I'm using an Arduino Pro Micro to generate SQ-1/Volca sync signals from MIDI Clock data sent by my DAW via USB. If you're not afraid of soldering a single patch cable to an Arduino Pro Micro and loading a very simple sketch into the Arduino that's a ~ 6 EUR solution for the sync problem ;-)

If anyone's interested I'll upload the sketch and the very simple instructions somewhere in the next couple of days.

(The other way is to use a Korg Volca: Sync it via DIN MIDI to the DAW and use its Sync Out signal to synchronize the SQ-1.)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search