The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Arturia Keystep - infinite hold, sustain, drone..... Desktop Synthesizers
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Head

Question Arturia Keystep - infinite hold, sustain, drone.....

Howdy,

I don't know what to actually call it. I want to be able to hold a note to infinity whenever I want, to free up hands.

There's a hold button on the keystep, but it only seems to hold an arp to free your hand, or hold on a note in arp or sequence.

So, sustain pedal? is that the only way to do this? I'm not really a traditional piano or keys player at this point, so I'd rather just turn the thing on or off rather than have to sit and step on a pedal.

Can I just take a 1/4 TS plug and short it? Or add a small enclosure to the TC and put a toggle switch on it?

How are you guys typically creating infinite sustain?

My synths at the moment are minitaur, mother 32, slim phatty, and by and large I'm using MIDI keyboards like the keystep.

I do use CV, just not from the keys (yet). I have used a moog exp pedal to trigger a hold before on phatty, I think in the KB Gate.

Thanks

TB
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Might want to check the EMI&EMP subforum for this. I will say that there is a trick involving a screwdriver that people have used to hold notes where you hold a note, and jam the screwdriver between that key and the one beside it. Even more low-tech, you could tape notes down.
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Might want to check the EMI&EMP subforum for this. I will say that there is a trick involving a screwdriver that people have used to hold notes where you hold a note, and jam the screwdriver between that key and the one beside it. Even more low-tech, you could tape notes down.
Thanks, I'll give that a look.

I know that it worked on my Little Phatty I think into the KB gate, but this isn't all analog....

CM
Old 6th April 2019
Here for the gear

I have 5 small fishing weights that I keep next to my Keystep. Saw Robert Rich, I believe, using this old school method of holding down notes in a YT video and it is an inexpensive and effective solution. The advantage of the weights is that you can lift one up and move to another key to change chord inversion or "decorate" a simple triad with more notes.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Definitely not modular, but I've been known to tape down keys on the Emax back in the days when I played live shows. From the expert, use that white labeling tape the FoH guy usually has, not duct tape .
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsongstudio View Post
I have 5 small fishing weights that I keep next to my Keystep. Saw Robert Rich, I believe, using this old school method of holding down notes in a YT video and it is an inexpensive and effective solution. The advantage of the weights is that you can lift one up and move to another key to change chord inversion or "decorate" a simple triad with more notes.
Thanks! Those are great and simple ideas. Duh, why wouldn't you just use a weight right? hahahaha

The tape is also a no brainer.

As an engineer I tend to overthink things....

Thanks again,

CM
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Head

I used large
clothes pegs on my microbrute
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict

I use toothpicks. I'm surprised they Arturia haven't included a hold / drone function in a firmware update. Behringer did with the Deepmind. It's a surprisingly useful addition.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear
What kind of a modular forum is this anyway? Shah!

Surprised no one else seems to do this... although @ Derp 's screwdriver comment does somehow seem appropriate next to his avatar
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Keystep - infinite hold, sustain, drone.....-kimg1173.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search