The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacing Maths - Marbles, Tempi or Planar2? Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Replacing Maths - Marbles, Tempi or Planar2?

Hello all, longtime lurker here and I would appreciate some expertise please.

I have a full 2 x 84HP rack that currently includes Maths which I want to replace.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_761710.jpg

I want to make the rack more performance oriented. I use both a Synthstrom Deluge and a Minibrute2S for sequencing and extra CV. My music set begins in ambient mode and warms up to more rhythmic lounge, jazz house grooves as the night wears on. Hence I gravitate from the Modular to the Deluge which can then drive the modular harder!!
I don't consider Maths the right tool for performance as it requires too much pre-meditation to get the most out of patches. I mainly use it as a simple LFO. I need something more immediate and useful.

Also it will help if the new module drives the BitBox which has plenty of samples and CV inputs.

So I have been looking at adding more clocks and random CV. My current three faves are Tempi, Marbles and Planar2. All are tweakable with the Planar being most expressive. But I like that Marbles can also add some extra melody. Preferences or any others I should look at?

All responses appreciated :-)

Last edited by SpiderMullum; 1 week ago at 01:37 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What about a Bastl CV Trinity? It's six function generators that work as either synced LFO's, envelopes, or knob movement recorders.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
What about a Bastl CV Trinity? It's six function generators that work as either synced LFO's, envelopes, or knob movement recorders.
Thx Derp. Yep that's one I'd forgotten about. So I hit the Ewetoobs today. It's a complex beast. I'll have to RTFM to understand how easy it works live :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got interested in this myself (mostly for LFO duties) but on a quick look it seems to be digital: grungy and people are doing anti-aliasing mods. Doesn't seem to be my thing. I knew this was too good to be true. Or maybe I'm judging it too quickly.

The 4ms pingable LFO seems pretty good though.

Last edited by Ossicle; 1 week ago at 10:45 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

To each their own. The Trinity is digital, but I like it.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm no purist and digital voltage generation is fine by me. Now if I can maintain the voice I am modulating/triggering as analogue then that is preferred. Cause that's the bit I hear :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post

The 4ms pingable LFO seems pretty good though.
And yes I like the 4MS pingable LFO too.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
To each their own. The Trinity is digital, but I like it.
Yeah - and I admit being quite picky and maybe even prejudiced in this regard. I do like digital oscs and efx, but not modulation.

I'm also looking into the option of three or four Ladik LFO type modules instead of a bigger all in one. For 4 Ladik modules the price and HP is not much more than, say a (digital) Batumi, but very versatile.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Yep I have Ladik LFOs on the list. Best value for money by far :-)
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I like this one. Powerful and flexible. And the demo video is amusing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search