The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are your eurorack of choice oscillators and why?
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I've already written Jason, thanks. Am awaiting a reply. I guess he must be busy.

In the meantime, I've got a Tš-L on the way. I'm still not sure yet if I really even need/want a full-on complex oscillator. I might be able to make do with just the tòna/Tš-L combo.
With the tòna/Tš-L combo you can do similar things, I'd have a hard time deciding if I'd need a Cs-L too, though I like its AM types and internal routing capabilities a lot.

Enjoy your tòna/Tš-L combo!
Old 4th June 2019
M32
Lives for gear
I asked Jason (Instruo) what he thought about adding either the separate modules or a second Csl a while back

He sent me this interesting reply:

RE additional oscillator(s)…
I personallysource and the second can be LFO, AM processor, used for wavefolding external signals, clock etc.
My biased thought is that every system should have two of course :P
Very wide use case for a pair for sure.
With that said, I have designed all my oscillators to have their own unique characteristics. Circuit core wise, the Cš-L can be looked at as being a Tòna and a Tš-L under the hood, but there is of course the INDEX control routing added and some other features.
Sonically, each oscillator has some unique characteristics that can make them complementary as opposed to being redundant duplicates.
The Tòna’s wavefolder was my first implementation of the folder. It is very smooth. Completely different response curve on the fader. And it is very symmetrical. Extremely smooth sonically. (Cš-L can get close, but the symmetry bias addition does alter its folding in certain ways).
The Tš-L is much smaller of course, but it has a super aggressive edge. It’s wavefolder has a unique harshness to it that can be dialled in with its symmetry, which is implemented very differently. It’s PWM shares similarities to the lower core of the Cš-L, but can crossfade into a bizarre split triangle signal. It’s the most dense control wise, but small form factor by design.

Let me know if you have any other questions
I can talk about oscillator for days!
There are definitely pros and cons to going either rout for additional voices
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
I asked Jason (Instruo) what he thought about adding either the separate modules or a second Csl a while back

He sent me this interesting reply:

RE additional oscillator(s)…
I personallysource and the second can be LFO, AM processor, used for wavefolding external signals, clock etc.
My biased thought is that every system should have two of course :P
Very wide use case for a pair for sure.
With that said, I have designed all my oscillators to have their own unique characteristics. Circuit core wise, the Cš-L can be looked at as being a Tòna and a Tš-L under the hood, but there is of course the INDEX control routing added and some other features.
Sonically, each oscillator has some unique characteristics that can make them complementary as opposed to being redundant duplicates.
The Tòna’s wavefolder was my first implementation of the folder. It is very smooth. Completely different response curve on the fader. And it is very symmetrical. Extremely smooth sonically. (Cš-L can get close, but the symmetry bias addition does alter its folding in certain ways).
The Tš-L is much smaller of course, but it has a super aggressive edge. It’s wavefolder has a unique harshness to it that can be dialled in with its symmetry, which is implemented very differently. It’s PWM shares similarities to the lower core of the Cš-L, but can crossfade into a bizarre split triangle signal. It’s the most dense control wise, but small form factor by design.

Let me know if you have any other questions
I can talk about oscillator for days!
There are definitely pros and cons to going either rout for additional voices
If I wouldn't have a Rubicon 2 I'd be thinking of getting a second Cš-L too.

Often I use Cš-L's upper oscillator as FM source for its lower oscillator (or vice versa) and Rubicon 2 simultaneously while another two sounds are processed independently with its AM processor.
It can be a flexible module.
Old 6th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
My oscillator of choice for eurorack is Freak. Reason for it being that it is almost like it was designed for my tastes
Isn't phase sync just what a proper sub oscillator does?
Old 6th June 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
I'm working this out myself as a noob. Right now I only have Twin Waves which is a joy to use, very versatile and plays nicely with other modules... Looking to expand my oscillators though.

Thread hijack imminent... 3.. 2.. 1..

Current gear : Octatrack MKII, DSI OB-6, recording gear and my guitar/pedals.

Modular : I have a 420HP case with power supply (future proof )

- HI Mutant Brain (sequencing from OT)
- WORNG Vector Space
- Klavis Twin Waves
- Disting MK4
- Befaco Rampage (In the mail, it was on sale and should replace Disting in a few essential functions and open it up)
- Make Noise X-Pan
- Quad Passive Attenuator

Any suggestions on my next oscillator? I've been using vocal samples lately to make a mixture of techno/synthwave. I also really like funk tho... Maybe on the next track. I know I want the Joranalogue Filter 8 based on the sound demos, I love it... Not sure what to run through it... Maybe get a bunch of Doepfer modules (VCO, env, VCA)? I was considering Make Noise DPO + QPAS but I think those are beyond my skill set currently to make sound musical. I love to play the Twin Waves with my MIDI keyboard through the OT currently and sequence it live.

The Rossum Trident looks really feature heavy but I'd need the filter and envelope/VCA to make proper use of it and that'd get expensive quick.

Cheers
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth_Chord View Post
I'm working this out myself as a noob. Right now I only have Twin Waves which is a joy to use, very versatile and plays nicely with other modules... Looking to expand my oscillators though.

Thread hijack imminent... 3.. 2.. 1..

Current gear : Octatrack MKII, DSI OB-6, recording gear and my guitar/pedals.

Modular : I have a 420HP case with power supply (future proof )

- HI Mutant Brain (sequencing from OT)
- WORNG Vector Space
- Klavis Twin Waves
- Disting MK4
- Befaco Rampage (In the mail, it was on sale and should replace Disting in a few essential functions and open it up)
- Make Noise X-Pan
- Quad Passive Attenuator

Any suggestions on my next oscillator? I've been using vocal samples lately to make a mixture of techno/synthwave. I also really like funk tho... Maybe on the next track. I know I want the Joranalogue Filter 8 based on the sound demos, I love it... Not sure what to run through it... Maybe get a bunch of Doepfer modules (VCO, env, VCA)? I was considering Make Noise DPO + QPAS but I think those are beyond my skill set currently to make sound musical. I love to play the Twin Waves with my MIDI keyboard through the OT currently and sequence it live.

The Rossum Trident looks really feature heavy but I'd need the filter and envelope/VCA to make proper use of it and that'd get expensive quick.

Cheers
My recommendation would be a good wavetable VCO next. An E352 maybe.
Old 7th June 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My recommendation would be a good wavetable VCO next. An E352 maybe.
I watched DivKid's video on those Russian modules today, SSSR Labs... They have a wavetable plus waveshaper that seem to go really well together.

The Kotelnikov and the AWS.

The E352 looks very nice.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

A few years in the oscs that have stuck are Rubicon and Dixie, Mangrove, Morphing Terrarium and although Rings isnt really an oscillator I cant imagine not having one in my rack.
Old 7th June 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
The Polygogo looks quite interesting. The recent sonicstate video mentioned using it for LASER BEAMZ.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
A few years in the oscs that have stuck are Rubicon and Dixie, Mangrove, Morphing Terrarium and although Rings isnt really an oscillator I cant imagine not having one in my rack.
I have my favorite wavetable, but then again, I've only owned 6 so far. They're good at given you tonal depth beyond just the simple (but good) stuff Klavis gives you. Do your research and find one that fits your style.

That said, wavetables in general can start really thin. With the phasing magic the E352 does, it gains a lot of tonal depth without having to throw a filter at it. The filter just acts as additional shaping or control without having to fill in the "gaps".

I'm sure other's having their magic. The Erica was nice when mixing the sub out and primary through a DTM. Braids and Plaits need a bit of help to thicken things up. Chord 2, because of what it does, fills out pretty well, but I also usually pair that with a Lo-Fi Junky for stylistic choices.

With any wavetable though, it needs modulation; either sweeps or envelopes. When you find that right sweep, it's magic, but that's my style of music. I'm a big fan of the mid / late 80's DM sound design so you know where I'm coming from.

Here's the E352 doing the "chant" sounds ...

Old 7th June 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Edit : my bad thought you replied to me... lol... I’ll leave the text wall there anyway

I tried out the 4ms SWN but it wasn’t really my style. Lots of harsher tones. I’m more of a “the sweet spot is mostly everything” type of person rather than a “you’ll have to work for the sweet spot but it’s really nice when you find it” type. The SWN was very modulation heavy but something about the overall design I didn’t gel with even though it could sound really nice.

The E352 has a very nice tone that is sounds full, the demo had a fantastic growl. It’s not in stock anyway, but I’m a huge fan of the tone.

I’m sort of young and honestly, don’t listen to much electronic-centric music even though I make it... most electronic sounds are supplements in the music I like, Tool, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Parliament... however there are a few electronic artists I listen to outright such as Daft Punk, Tipper, Emancipator, Shpongle. Then there’s classic music that utilizes synthesis heavily like Tears For Fears, etc.. When I want to listen to random electronic music I usually pop on synthwave radio that’s gained a few darker notches from tailoring it over time.

I’m actually about to get some didgeridoo samples! Those would go amazingly with the E352 methinks....

Until the E352 comes in I’m actually content with what I have... I’ve never heard wavetables sound so lush though... even on the Peak when I used one.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth_Chord View Post
Edit : my bad thought you replied to me... lol... I’ll leave the text wall there anyway

I tried out the 4ms SWN but it wasn’t really my style. Lots of harsher tones. I’m more of a “the sweet spot is mostly everything” type of person rather than a “you’ll have to work for the sweet spot but it’s really nice when you find it” type. The SWN was very modulation heavy but something about the overall design I didn’t gel with even though it could sound really nice.

The E352 has a very nice tone that is sounds full, the demo had a fantastic growl. It’s not in stock anyway, but I’m a huge fan of the tone.

I’m sort of young and honestly, don’t listen to much electronic-centric music even though I make it... most electronic sounds are supplements in the music I like, Tool, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Parliament... however there are a few electronic artists I listen to outright such as Daft Punk, Tipper, Emancipator, Shpongle. Then there’s classic music that utilizes synthesis heavily like Tears For Fears, etc.. When I want to listen to random electronic music I usually pop on synthwave radio that’s gained a few darker notches from tailoring it over time.

I’m actually about to get some didgeridoo samples! Those would go amazingly with the E352 methinks....

Until the E352 comes in I’m actually content with what I have... I’ve never heard wavetables sound so lush though... even on the Peak when I used one.
Tears had some PPG going for it also. I can go a lot darker too, big Puppy fan and Jack Danger's got me into modular in the first place. Seeing him work a 2600 in the studio was amazing. Just didn't have the money back then, then this Euro fad came out.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b7a9c8d View Post
The Kotelnikov.
I've got that one. Haven't dipped my toe too deep, but it sounds really good and doesn't require that much work. Once you get past the fact that it's a multi-function module (Oscillator, function-generator, VCA), you find that it's a lot more simple than it first appears, but it's a good simple. It's not nearly as deep as other wavetables, but other wavetables usually have a lot of "fluff" in them.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Do any of you guys have the Pittsburgh Primary now? The demos sound good; inexpensive, too.

I was thinking of adding one to my Cranial Saw voice, something different from the 510 and Boog.

I haven't decided what to get for a 3rd Oscillator for this new voice. Something very characterfull, analog - because I prefer it.

Something "sounds really good all by itself" good... and wouldn't sound out of place with the Cranial Saw and a Primary.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

I should not have just watched that Kotelnikov video. I have absolutely no space left dammit!
Old 8th June 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I should not have just watched that Kotelnikov video. I have absolutely no space left dammit!
I told you it was pretty nice.. I really like that with the waveshaper as well as the E352... sigh... the curse of choice.
Old 8th June 2019
M32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Do any of you guys have the Pittsburgh Primary now? The demos sound good; inexpensive, too.

I was thinking of adding one to my Cranial Saw voice, something different from the 510 and Boog.

I haven't decided what to get for a 3rd Oscillator for this new voice. Something very characterfull, analog - because I prefer it.

Something "sounds really good all by itself" good... and wouldn't sound out of place with the Cranial Saw and a Primary.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
I tried the microvolt, which has about the same oscillator, it's great. Flexible, sounds great FM-ed.
My only gripe with the Microvolt was that I wanted 2, PWM sounded amazing and I think 2 of those detuned with different pwm rates should be massive.
I was planning to get two, but then I discovered Instruo, both have great products, but I like it when there's some uniformity and when a case has a consistent look. Still, that Primary is amazing, especially given the price.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Haha. I understand. I don't mind mixing brands, but the mismatched colors drive me bonkers.

Before I'm done all of my eurorack will match if I have to repaint all of the damn panels myself.

Or, at lesst each case of it will match. The black one, the silver one, etc. I can't help it. Must do it.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think @ justjools has one. I've got eight of its predecessor and think they're great. Pittsburgh stuff is usually pretty basic and utilitarian, but they sound pretty good from what I've heard/used.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think @ justjools has one. I've got eight of its predecessor and think they're great. Pittsburgh stuff is usually pretty basic and utilitarian, but they sound pretty good from what I've heard/used.
Eight?

That's a heck of an endorsement.

Very cool.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eight?

That's a heck of an endorsement.

Very cool.
I dunno, have you seen Derps rig? He buys 8 of a single module before breakfast.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I dunno, have you seen Derps rig? He buys 8 of a single module before breakfast.
Hey, I resemble that remark! I don't have too many modules that I have multiples of. Usually oscillators since so many of them work better in pairs: Pitts Waveforms, SE Oscillations, Noise Reap Bermuda, Doepfer A-110-4, EMW Alias, and Mutable Tides. I've also got two Zlob THEQ's and two EMW Wave Compressors for some stereo action. The only other things I have more than two of are the Waveforms, the SE Oscillators (which I'm now seeing that I was probably just fine with only two as I rarely bust out the third), and of course I've got uZeus's falling out the yazoo.

My mom just moved back in, so my finances should stabilize again soon. I just really want a Nord Lead 4, and then I'll be able to get back to module-collecting.
Old 15th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Isn't phase sync just what a proper sub oscillator does?
Sub oscillator is usually phase synced yes, but it's also usually just one or two (untweakable) waveforms and that's about it. Freak can handle different synthesis algorithms phase synchronized to each other (VA + FM, PM + VA, FM + Wavetable, etc...) and from various octaves as needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypainter View Post
If I needed a fixed architecture mono synth with decent sound at budget price I'd consider Behringer, but not for eurorack.

I've still not taken the plunge. Should have funds in a couple of months. I avoid debt like the plague
Have you gotten any oscs yet??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search