The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are your eurorack of choice oscillators and why?
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Now there is something I want to try before buying any new oscillators: getting a Doepfer A-133 for boosting my VCOs either directly to VCA or to the FM input of another VCO. This is supposed to make them meatier and apparently (one of the) 'secrets' of the Buchla 259 is its high gain to FM. Wonder how that will turn out....
I think you'll find it'll turn out well.

Below is a simple sequence which begins with an unfiltered sine wave, then linear FM is applied at full strength using a triangle wave from the same oscillator followed by that same triangle wave being amplified by the A-133 then back to the sine in reverse.

As you will hear, that little extra boost has a pretty dramatic effect. You could basically do the same thing with a simple VCA, but then you could only amplify in one direction (that is, no polarizer).

It's definitely a handy module to have around, especially for Buchla emulations.
Attached Files

Doepfer A-133 FM.mp3 (1.71 MB, 1881 views)

Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I think you'll find it'll turn out well.

Below is a simple sequence which begins with an unfiltered sine wave, then linear FM is applied at full strength using a triangle wave from the same oscillator followed by that same triangle wave being amplified by the A-133 then back to the sine in reverse.

As you will hear, that little extra boost has a pretty dramatic effect. You could basically do the same thing with a simple VCA, but then you could only amplify in one direction (that is, no polarizer).

It's definitely a handy module to have around, especially for Buchla emulations.
Fantastic! Good to get a confirmation especially from you. I've really gotta try the A-133 now.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

hey man mistAh skypainter. just get the **** that appeals to you. you know what? if you dont. then you will get it anyway.

just get the **** you already want and then use it!
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
hey man mistAh skypainter. just get the **** that appeals to you. you know what? if you dont. then you will get it anyway.

just get the **** you already want and then use it!
I hear u man! It's been well worth asking here though. I'm pretty set on getting the Instruo Ts L and Doepfer A110 4 to start.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

I have a spectrum vco and can attest that it is a great basic analog vco.

I have a cs-l on order...can’t wait!
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

for solid basic vco I recommend Intellijel Dixie II

digital, go with synth tech e370

rich analog.. I like my erica varishape, but I'm gonna keep my eye out on the new Vintage Synth Lab CEM3340 or the new SynthTech analog VCO. The AJH is great, but i really dislike the handling. The AJH are already pricey, but they feel cheap - for me that's a deal breaker.
Old 4th April 2019
M32
Lives for gear

I'm really keen on getting the Pittsburgh primary oscillator since I played with a Microvolt3900 a while back.

Dixie and DPO sound really great as well.
Love the Verbose stuff, but dang that's pricy.

How do you guys think about buying double Vs having different flavours?
I'm building my first case, with money and space constraints.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
How do you guys think about buying double Vs having different flavours? I'm building my first case, with money and space constraints.
I've been asking myself the same question and I reckon that if you want smooth / consistent duophony, then two same oscillators is the way to go. If you plan for your rack to be above all a mono synth, then different oscs will provide more sonic variation. I'm planning on 2 different.
Old 4th April 2019
M32
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypainter View Post
I've been asking myself the same question and I reckon that if you want smooth / consistent duophony, then two same oscillators is the way to go. If you plan for your rack to be above all a mono synth, then different oscs will provide more sonic variation. I'm planning on 2 different.
On the other hand, a detuned pair of oscs does have interesting timbral qualities, and nothing phases/drifts like two similar oscs detuned.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
How do you guys think about buying double Vs having different flavours?
Depends on the oscillator. If it's your basic square/saw/tri oscillator, then I'll get multiples. Detuning oscillators is more than just a hilarious meme, ya know.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
On the other hand, a detuned pair of oscs does have interesting timbral qualities, and nothing phases/drifts like two similar oscs detuned.
and 3 is even better.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
and 3 is even better.
Yep. 3 times AJH VCOs is beastly. Sounds utterly amazing.

I'd also highly recommend the Erica Black Series VCO 1. That's a very powerful oscillator all on its own.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear
Schippmann omega phi ii is amazing. FM and PM like no other VCO I tried!
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

After my latest purchases I realize I have too many VCOs for a 9U. I've been thinking about them a lot and decided to give MHO roughly in the order I bought them in.

DixieII
This was my first VCO. I liked it enough that I bought another almost immediately. It's pretty basic but I have not found a better traditional VCO. It tracks well and does not take too long to stabilize when turned on. The LFO mode is great. I use them in LFO mode as often or more than audio rate. The sine is fairly clean to my ears and makes a great modulator in an FM patch due to the stability. The only cons are lack of attenuation and no dedicated PW knob. Also it's not the best carrier in an FM patch because there is only linear FM and no through zero. Despite the cons I don't ever see these leaving my rack. I always want two VCOs to detune in my synth.

STO
This is probably going to drop off my rack. It has in the past but there's something I really love about it and it keeps finding its way back in. The waveshaping is fairly basic but gets interesting when used in a more complex patch. I often use it in a traditional subtractive way and get very nice results messing with the waveshaper when it's being low passed and the higher frequencies are being cut. There's a specific patch I keep coming back to where I have the waveshaper set to an inverse of what the cutoff on a VCF after it is set to. Modulating that gets really interesting.

Telharmonic
I have to say this one was a little bit disappointing. At the time I bought it there were not many options for chord like voices and I struggled between this and Braids as my first digital VCOs. The sound it really interesting. I really love that it puts out three related waveforms all based on different algorithms. It was a bit of a brash almost Casio like digital quality but it can be tamed by a VCF and turned into something a little more analog. But I found it very difficult to use as a chord machine. The interface is not intuitive. While it looks cool, the single color LED for chord and voicing is hard to do anything accurate with. I gave up trying to sequence an actual progression and let it be more of a happy accident tool. I do really like the noise output. It's great for self patching which gets gritty really quickly. The shift register mode is also really cool but a PITA to remember how to get in and out of.

Braids
When I gave up on the Tel's chord mode and decided to move on I bought Braids which had been the runner up in my digital VCO decision. At the time it was exactly what I wanted. Chord mode is a lot more intuitive. The wavetables are a little boring but the WTX4 was great. I found I didn't really want screamy wavetables when stacking four of them. It's really hard to understate how powerful Braids was for its time. Shapeshifter was the only thing comparable and that was a lot bigger and more expensive. The drum and noise modes allowed it to used as a drum voice. The Z**F modes get into that old school Casio sound that the Tel did nicely. If it was not for Plaits I would still have it in my rack. I have it parked in an overflow rack that I still turn to when I need that one more voice.

Plaits
Basically Braids 2.0, Plaits was an immediate pre-order for me. It adds a third parameter with CV control while Braids only had two. It adds a second audio output which nearly always blends well with the first. The modes are really well thought out. I like that the drum modes are separated in the UI from the melodic modes. It responds better to audio rate FM than Braids did. It's smaller and the UI is more intuitive but in general it feels very much like a Braids revision. Having bought it when it came out I still feel like I'm learning it. It's very active in my rack lately as a drum and weird texture voice.

MCO
This is one of my new VCOs so I haven't spent as much time with it but it is essentially a very basic wavetable VCO with a pulse and sub output. It is unabashedly digital. The reason I was attracted to it was that sound which is reminiscent of Dinky's Tiako (which I own and did not include in this list because it is much more of a drum module and the v/o tracking is very rough). Both the MCO and Dinky can produce really rough digital sounding noise, something I loved on the Tel. It's a great building block for both FM and drum patches. Unfortunately there's no FM option at all which is a bit of a shame. The non-noise wavetables are pretty basic but blend smoothly together when modulating. The jury is still out on this little guy but so far it's been really nice having some of that old school digital vibe back in such a small package.

Ts-L
This is also a new one for me but I can tell already it's a keeper. My reason for buying was to replace my Ultrafold with a VCO that included a wave folder just to save some space. The onboard wave folder is not nearly as full featured as the Ultrafold but honestly I wasn't using the Ultrafold to it's full potential anyway so I think I'm good. In addition to the folded wave and a basic square/triangle/sine it also has a PWN output which is not like any PWM I've ever heard. There is just so much analog goodness packed into this small space. Unfortunately that means some of the knobs are pretty hard to get at when patched. I'm not really sure what they were thinking putting the shape controls below the jacks. But while this limits hands on tweaking, these are controls I would generally drive with CV anyways. Other than that my only gripe is there's no saw shape so it falls a little short of a go to traditional VCO. Also not cheap here in the states. All together this is a beast of a VCO in a tiny package though.
Old 1st May 2019
I find interesting to use different synthesis:
Analog, digital, fm, modal, granular, e drums, sampling:
I use: Roland 512, Klavis Twin waves, Akemie's Castle, Elements, Phonogene, Telharmonic, Bastl Teakick & Noise, Tip top one.
Old 4th May 2019
M32
Lives for gear

Would you prefer

a Pittsburgh Primary Osc and a Dixie2+

or 2 Pittsburgh Primary's?

The PB have more options, but they are saw core, and i believe the Dixie is triangle based. I notice often complex oscillators have one of each, so would there be an advantage to having the two types?
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

I currently have e352, DPO, STO as designated oscillators but also have Maths and Pressure Points I’ve used in that context. Oscillators I use to have include Telharmonic, PDO, Mysteron and e350.

For analog, I would without hesitation recommend the STO. I think it sounds warmer than the DPO. For digital, I am all about the e352. I had the e350 and sold it when I decided to get the DPO. I kinda regretted it almost right away but it all worked out in the end as I find the e352 more versatile. Also the e352 is the only other piece of hardware that sounds as big and full “on my system” as my Buchla Easel clone.
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would you prefer

a Pittsburgh Primary Osc and a Dixie2+

or 2 Pittsburgh Primary's?

The PB have more options, but they are saw core, and i believe the Dixie is triangle based. I notice often complex oscillators have one of each, so would there be an advantage to having the two types?
Tough call. A matched pair of VCOs is a nice tool to have in the box for hard sync type patches. But form what I've heard of the Primarys they have a grittier sound than the Dixie so if you're wanting clean sines and triangle type shapes I could see a Dixie being useful. I almost got the Primary instead of the Ts-L but space is tight right now so the low HP won me over. Anyway I almost ended up with 2 Dixies and a Primary and I think that would have worked out just fine for me.
Old 5th May 2019
M32
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Tough call. A matched pair of VCOs is a nice tool to have in the box for hard sync type patches. But form what I've heard of the Primarys they have a grittier sound than the Dixie so if you're wanting clean sines and triangle type shapes I could see a Dixie being useful. I almost got the Primary instead of the Ts-L but space is tight right now so the low HP won me over. Anyway I almost ended up with 2 Dixies and a Primary and I think that would have worked out just fine for me.
I just ordered a Cs-L complex osc, Ceis envelope and Io47 filter, so my budget's kinda gone.

Probably will add both a PmOsc and Dixie later. The clean sines and triangles would come in handy for audiomod rate modulation/lfo use of the dixie.
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

You’re going to love the cs-l
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

I just bought my first dedicated Oscillator module, a Cranial Saw. I only picked it first - from a group of several contenders - because I encountered this particular used Cranial Saw so cheap ($170 total).

I would like to try a Mangrove, and a Pittsburgh Primary also. They seem very characterful sounding. That is what I want - big character to supplement my Boog's, MS20's, and Roland 510's.
Old 27th May 2019
M32
Lives for gear

Just got the Cs-L. Wow that thing is awesome.

There's so much packed into that modue, and there's even an internal modulation routing system leaving your patchpoints free for other uses.
The waveforms have so much girth, the timbral range seems infinite, from soft to brutal and beyond.
I also have the Io47 arp 2500 inspired filter and these alone together are already the best monosynth i've got. Fm-ing the filter is just unreal.

The experience has significantly changed my future oscillator module plans. I think i'm just going to buy a second one, and maybe later get the brilliant Joranaogue Generate3 for through-zero experimentation.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

There's so much packed into that modue, and there's even an internal modulation routing system leaving your patchpoints free for other uses.
The waveforms have so much girth, the timbral range seems infinite, from soft to brutal and beyond.
I also have the Io47 arp 2500 inspired filter and these alone together are already the best monosynth i've got. Fm-ing the filter is just unreal.

The experience has significantly changed my future oscillator module plans. I think i'm just going to buy a second one, and maybe later get the brilliant Joranaogue Generate3 for through-zero experimentation.
Congrats! That's inspiring. Would love to hear some of those sounds, care to post?
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypainter View Post

I don't have plans dream of building a massive system and not aiming at self-generative styles. Just a good sounding very flexible 3 osc synth. I'm also not looking to nail a vintage sound.

I'd be really interested to hear your experiences with oscillators, which you prefer, why and what they excel at. Cheers

Given your stated goals, you might want to look at the Behringer D.

It gives you three oscillators that sound really good. They drift a little. You can use CV in, and take the output after the mixer (before the envelope and the filter). There's an LFO that you can patch separately.

It's more limited than buying three separate oscillators, but for under $300 it's hard to beat the sound, and if you're planning on using it like a three osc synth, then you might not really need the added flexibility. Given the price, if it proves too limiting you can sell it later for nearly what you paid.
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
Given your stated goals, you might want to look at the Behringer D.

It gives you three oscillators that sound really good. They drift a little. You can use CV in, and take the output after the mixer (before the envelope and the filter). There's an LFO that you can patch separately.

It's more limited than buying three separate oscillators, but for under $300 it's hard to beat the sound, and if you're planning on using it like a three osc synth, then you might not really need the added flexibility. Given the price, if it proves too limiting you can sell it later for nearly what you paid.
If I needed a fixed architecture mono synth with decent sound at budget price I'd consider Behringer, but not for eurorack.

I've still not taken the plunge. Should have funds in a couple of months. I avoid debt like the plague
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The experience has significantly changed my future oscillator module plans.
I can imagine. Both the Cš-L and Iō47 are on my to buy list. If my local distributor wasn't out-of-stock, I'd have already ordered them along with the first batch of Instruō modules I ordered last week.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear
Kilpatrick k3021 is nice
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

My frame of reference, sadly, is limited to the Boog oscillators and the Neutron oscillators, both good... but compared to them - and in general - my new-to-me Cranial Saw is the business... By itself, no filter or effects, it sounds *rich*. I love that. That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for from eurorack. Success.

The little Roland voice (510) has proven to be a great choice. Great clean and bell like tones, smooth as silk, plus I mix the waveforms with the Erica Mixer, dialed in just so... It sounds great. My $500 Roland voice. Success, again.

I hope to score an SH05 Oscillator kit from AMSynths to supplement my 510. I also saw someone with an old SH03A made into a module with CV/Gate, etc, and I think that is an interesting idea, no more expensive than buying something like two more Roland 500 series modules... seems like a cool Oscillator to add, right...?
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I can imagine. Both the Cš-L and Iō47 are on my to buy list. If my local distributor wasn't out-of-stock, I'd have already ordered them along with the first batch of Instruō modules I ordered last week.
I bought directly from Jason. Back then his modules weren't available at Schneiders at all.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
I bought directly from Jason. Back then his modules weren't available at Schneiders at all.
I've already written Jason, thanks. Am awaiting a reply. I guess he must be busy.

In the meantime, I've got a Tš-L on the way. I'm still not sure yet if I really even need/want a full-on complex oscillator. I might be able to make do with just the tòna/Tš-L combo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search