The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much gear needed for this? (Lyra-8) Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 2nd March 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 
JavaLaurence's Avatar
How much gear needed for this? (Lyra-8)

Hi,

I'm wondering *roughly* how much $$$ would buy the kind of modular setup that can produce this music as one live take?

Any pointers to what kind of minimal setup could reproduce this style of music?

YouTube

Cheers.
Old 2nd March 2019
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaLaurence View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering *roughly* how much $$$ would buy the kind of modular setup that can produce this music as one live take?

Any pointers to what kind of minimal setup could reproduce this style of music?

YouTube

Cheers.
It’s a video that says what single piece of gear was used to make it. One Lyra-8. That is the most minimal setup that can make that music. You’ll pay 3x more to do it in modular if you’re lucky.
Old 2nd March 2019
  #3
And your name is on the video's youtube channel, so this is nothing more than stupid clickbait spam. @ Reptil , cleanup on aisle 5 please...

Old 5th March 2019
  #4
< I'm on it >
Old 5th March 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 
JavaLaurence's Avatar
Following a gentle suggestion from the moderator I've been asked to explain my original post. Not used to those kinds of requests, but here goes anyway.

My track was made with just one Lyra-8 costing me 500 euros (second hand). Given how different the sounds that come out of the Lyra are to my other, more conventional gear (see my gear list), I strongly suspected that I managed to create stuff more usual for modular systems. Hence my *curiosity* at what kind of modules would be required to create a similar track without the Lyra. I was interested in knowing what kind, and what kind of price I'd be looking at, because the Lyra has given me an appetite for the kind of unconventional audio routings my classic synths cannot give me.

Hope that explanation doesn't generate more conspiracy theories. If it does, I can't really help you further. ;-)
Old 5th March 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ImJohn's Avatar
Hi,

It would take a while for someone to analyse the contents and structure of the Lyra-8, especially for someone like me who has never owned one. Since you own one I'd suggest you study it closely and read through the manual here:
https://somasynths.com/wp-content/up...alEng_V2.0.pdf

And then set up a ModularGrid account and build a virtual modular the best you can that has similar contents to the Lyra-8 (total price will be calculated for you ):
Plan your modular synthesizer rack on ModularGrid

I'm guessing what you'd end up with would cost quite a bit more then the Lyra-8, not sound or function exactly like it, and be able to do a of of things it can't.
Old 5th March 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaLaurence View Post
Following a gentle suggestion from the moderator I've been asked to explain my original post. Not used to those kinds of requests, but here goes anyway.

My track was made with just one Lyra-8 costing me 500 euros (second hand). Given how different the sounds that come out of the Lyra are to my other, more conventional gear (see my gear list), I strongly suspected that I managed to create stuff more usual for modular systems. Hence my *curiosity* at what kind of modules would be required to create a similar track without the Lyra. I was interested in knowing what kind, and what kind of price I'd be looking at, because the Lyra has given me an appetite for the kind of unconventional audio routings my classic synths cannot give me.

Hope that explanation doesn't generate more conspiracy theories. If it does, I can't really help you further. ;-)
Thank you so much for explaining. That makes a lot more sense now.

Looking at the Lyra, it looks like it's four oscillators intermodulating each other, with the touch-controls providing some of the interaction. This could be replicated with attenuators or VCA's controlling each module's modulation. The rest of it is an LFO, a delay, and some sort of overdrive/distortion. It's a simple setup, something like this:

How much gear needed for this? (Lyra-8)-modulargrid_864419.jpg

I went with Noise Reap because I'm a fan of his work, and they're probably some of the cheapest modules on the market. Like ImJohn said though, this is going to cost you more than a Lyra. This setup is $767 before you even include the case, the power, and any tactile control modules you want.
Attached Thumbnails
How much gear needed for this? (Lyra-8)-modulargrid_864419.jpg  
Old 6th March 2019
  #8
Gear Head
 

Modular can be re-patched.
Old 12th March 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Old 13th April 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
maks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thank you so much for explaining. That makes a lot more sense now.

Looking at the Lyra, it looks like it's four oscillators intermodulating each other, with the touch-controls providing some of the interaction. This could be replicated with attenuators or VCA's controlling each module's modulation. The rest of it is an LFO, a delay, and some sort of overdrive/distortion. It's a simple setup, something like this:



I went with Noise Reap because I'm a fan of his work, and they're probably some of the cheapest modules on the market. Like ImJohn said though, this is going to cost you more than a Lyra. This setup is $767 before you even include the case, the power, and any tactile control modules you want.
theres alot more going on then just take a few osc modules and wire them together , the way circuits are implemented inside is quite unique and routing via switches, you have to play one to understand
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ClaySchmitt / Mastering for Beginners
3
zerocrossing / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
9
Deleted #310173 / Low End Theory
8
Koyaanisqatsi / Live Sound
3
Vatraxos / High End
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump