The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Used modules worth it? Modular Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Used modules worth it?

Is it generally fine to buy used modules? Is it worth the savings, when most places have sales kind of often and warranty?

I’ve always bought new but as I plan to get more into it I’m wondering if it makes sense to buy used.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't think it's all that risky to buy used modules... most of them haven't been out for long enough to have something go wrong - it's not like buying a 40-year-old MiniMoog or whatever - and they're usually made of brand-new parts, so it won't be like ancient capacitors leaking or something. Another bonus is that they're so small and light that it's not like they'll get banged up during shipping, and even an idiot with some bubble wrap could pack them well enough to survive UPS shipping.

So I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
I don't think it's all that risky to buy used modules... most of them haven't been out for long enough to have something go wrong - it's not like buying a 40-year-old MiniMoog or whatever

So I wouldn't worry too much.
exactamundo

electronics go bad at like 10-50 years. and then it the caps to lose their values and need to be replaced. But I see very very few electrolytics in modern modules!!

So if the design is sound they might just keep working until the end of the universe. in like 64 billion years or so. or whenever thats scheduled to happen.

But now with lead free solders we have "whiskers" that grow out of the solder and short stuff out. look it up on youtube.

You might think that this is fantasy bullsh1t. but i have actually found these whiskers in ram memories in computers that were only 3 years old. and they had grown and shorted out and destroyed the actual memory module. it looked kinda like spiderwebs but from very small spiders that is. computer spiders.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I often see people touching a module's circuit board with their hands which can destroy active components like op amps because of the electrostatic discharge.
Using worng packaging can do this too.

I bought a Frequency Central System X Filter second hand and had to exchange all op amps because they were dead.

But this wouldn't stop me from buying second hand. Most modules can be repaired easily and most of the time I got what I paid for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For 10-15% off retail, for me that’s not worth the various potential hassles. But there are modules out there that are so deflated on the second hand market (Wogglebug v1, original Rene, etc) that they are potentially worth picking up from a trusted seller.
Old 4 weeks ago
I buy almost all used, it's generally the only way I can afford Euro. Buy on Reverb and the buyer protection is insane, I haven't gotten burned on a purchase ever on Reverb. Muffs market also seems reputable, most of their sellers have threads that go back years and they wouldn't want to screw up their reputation. Paypal also protects you to some degree I think, but NEVER EVER do Friends and Family style payments with a stranger and you should be fine. I don't think I have ever bought a module off ebay so nothing to say about that. One great source for used modules is definitely modular stores. I know for a fact Control Voltage tests all of their used stuff before putting it on the website, my guess would be this is standard practice for anywhere that does good business. YMMV of course, but I'd say go for it and save some scratch.
Old 4 weeks ago
I buy mostly used.
The reality is, most modules are lightly used and often as good as new.
In my market 10% off retail is not the going rate. People might look for that, but then their modules don't sell.
I've been selling a lot of 'lightly used' modules. I have people offering me 50% or less, and I am usually shipping free too.
You are lucky to get 20% off retail, and then it's usually the in high demand modules. If I'm selling something that is less well know (even Random*Source) it tends to take weeks and you are selling it at a big discount.
In reality, the average modular punter knows and trusts Intellijel, Tip Top and Make Noise.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you very much everyone! I’ll start buying used as I expand.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I buy mostly used as well. Out of my hundreds of modules, I can only name a couple that gave me any issues, and a lot of the time if you touch base with the manufacturer, they'll help you out. Studio Electronics and G-Storm in particular were very helpful when I had problems. In spite of the massive jump in popularity, it's still mostly a small group getting into all these toys, so most everybody is super friendly with each other. There's only a couple dudes where I would say avoid them because they're pricks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
But there are modules out there that are so deflated on the second hand market (Wogglebug v1, original Rene, etc) that they are potentially worth picking up from a trusted seller.
Agreed heavily. If you can stay a bit behind the flavor of the month, there's plenty of deals to be had. There's quite a few modules that I got precisely because the deal was so good, I thought I might as well. To be frank, I never intended to get as many drum modules as I have, but when somebody is selling three modules for a hundred bucks (this has happened to me twice now), it just doesn't make sense to say no.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

if it was a sale price + warranty situation which was local, that would probably be my preference every time.
it often trumps most other options ime. less uncertainty etc. though you might be able to ask the shop for a current list
of things they have had part exchanged. they would rather sell you something new, but you can just claim you like old stuff.
like what they do on gearslutz.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
I think if you get the good deal and perfect condition really worth it .But if the price not difference from the new Better buy new !
Old 3 weeks ago
yes.
and +1 on the static free packaging.
and +1 on staying behind the curve.
I've bought about 80% of what I owned new. but the market is huge now, so almost everything is available.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I buy entirely used because:

* Modular especially you can't always try before you buy, flipping is part of the deal imo
* Flipping costs almost zero buying used
* As a rule I buy on eBay/gumtree and ask the seller lots of questions. The modular community generally seems respectful and I'd judge folks are unlikely to send duds and likely to accept returns (also eBay always swings in buyer's favour in disputes)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search