The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
You have 107 HP. Go! Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Actually, I was referring to guitar strings a bit. I like wound G-strings rather than plain.

In any case, we'll see what happens. It may be that I just end up with a Neutron and a Dominion-1, who knows?
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

perfect circuit has a cool series on youtube of 54hp setups.

this one is for a "bass" synth but might give you some inspiration for a classic east coast voice like you seem to be after

Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

i think the "standard" 84 hp is the lowest you want to go.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

I am not really purely after an EC voice, even though Neutron is that - I'm more about, if I get a Neutron and I like it, what could I expand it with (within constraints of kb37) that would be interesting and different. 0-coast is also interesting... but it's not directly Eurorack mountable, yes, you'd need to modify it? And then again, would it fit into 107 HP along with Neutron?
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

I think i have seen the no coast mounted more than 15 times. so i'd say its doable. they just donr want you to do it.

I have however never heard any pleasant sounds coming out of one though. I wouldn't get one even if I got payed. But thats just me. horses for courses.

and also many of the people that have it says it "bottoms out" acoustically pretty fast.

I'd go as far as saying this: you want a modular get a modular and fukk it with all these semi modular shizzle. you will understand sooner or later. ( i edited the word understand in later because i'm drunk but you get the point.

get oscs
mixers
filters
vcas
atts
lfos
wavefolders

and so on.

more importantly is that you get good sh1t.

if you want recommendations i can provide. with own knowledge and other peoples condensed.
Old 10th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Moog Grandmother.

$100 less than the KB37.
That must be in the USA. Here (in Norway) the Grandmother is $300-400 more than the KB37.

*edit: To be exact it's $332 more, I just checked.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I am not really purely after an EC voice, even though Neutron is that - I'm more about, if I get a Neutron and I like it, what could I expand it with (within constraints of kb37) that would be interesting and different. 0-coast is also interesting... but it's not directly Eurorack mountable, yes, you'd need to modify it? And then again, would it fit into 107 HP along with Neutron?
The issue with questions like that is that the answers are highly personal. I can give you some generic Costco answers. Doesn’t mean they’re good for you tho.

I have three modular racks which can all function independently and cover a few different styles for my needs, and can form like Voltron for bigger patches. They’re all very personally customized. I doubt any suggestions I could throw out when use be as good as something you’d pick yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

if i was a musician type keyboardist there is no way i would buy that (awesome looking) kb37. expert sleepers style autotuning is prob the only thing in eurorack that will give you consistently what you are used to. if the bastl 1983 turns out to be all its cracked up to, i would do that and a mantis plus whatever controller you already have and like. bigger, cheaper, way more flexible, uglier but more fun. like my gf ig.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I think I have two ideas for you. I will not put every module in place, but you will do it based on my guidelines, if you like the idea(s).

1) First concept:

I imagine Neutron standing as standalone unit, and inside KB37 is modulation monster/heaven. I would put inside:
1) xaoc batumi + poti (10 + 3)
2) xaoc zadar + possibly upcoming nin expansion (10 + ?)
3) mutable instruments tides (14) (note: batumi and this module are totally different, despite first impression of overlapping a lot; depending on your intended usage - for one voice I would lean toward tides, I use zadar and batumi for my e370 for my four voice modular poly)
4) mutable instruments stages (14)
5) xaoc samara or maths (10 vs 20) - for science! ...kidding ;-)

Fitting one of each, not counting nin, but with samara and maths, will occupy 81 hp. You can add A LOT with only this. For remaining space I would add some effects for your Neutron voice after you moved its sound with all that modulation. OR connect more MI Stages for longer "module"

2) Second concept:

I like two of my Waldorf modules and they fit well aesthetically with kb37, but also - sound great. I don't use compressor at all and VCA is too much space for too little possibilities. I think that I would use:

1) mutable instruments ears (4) (for starters: you connect mic and provide phrases to create unique wavetables in next module)
2) waldorf nw1 (32)
3) waldorf vcf1 (18)
4) xaoc tallin (6) (yeah, I'm biased, but either way I find this module to sound great; I don't like Waldorfs VCA as I don't use most of its functions; only problem here is summing its outputs)
5) xaoc zadar + nin? (10 + ?)
6) mutable instruments stages (14) (I like planned - like unstochastic brother of S&H - stepping modulation; whatever you like)
7) mutable instruments tides (14)
no batumi this time, but you might find some usage for this unit

And together: 98 hp of great instrument with great modulation, supplemented with voice from Neutron, taken directly from Neutron's VCO or VCF into tallins secondary input, back to Neutron's sum inputs and back to kb37's output sockets (or from tallin to outputs and summed in the mix).

Addition to both concepts) There's always usage for buffered splitters.

I tell you something. From recommended above I have: MI ears and stages; Xaoc tallin, zadar and batumi with poti; Waldorf nw1 and vcf1. If my memory serves, you live in Slovenia or Croatia, and I trust you enough to propose what follows:
I can take out each of mentioned modules, pack them with RackBrute 6U and send them to you on my cost or shared (depending of shipping costs, but up to some degree I can pay entirety by myself - will have to check cost with shipping companies).

My requirements:
1) reply in the next few days - as I don't want to remember about this thread for eternity. ;-) Also I would ship before my winter holidays so my toys will not be used during this time anyway.
2) you will have up to two weeks to try everything up, patching, experimenting, but ALSO caring for them like sane and good person would.
3) I might throw something more - like Erica Synths Fusion VCO or something, that I think might sound interesting and give you peek into interesting sounds of modular world, BUT not too much, so the package will not increase too much in value and make it cumbersome regarding two next requirements. This is less requirement and more proposition, which you can partially or entirely reject. Will consult that with you, if something pops in my head.
4) parcels will be protected to survive shipping like there was no journey.
5) shipping back to Poland is entirely on you.
6) requirement 4 applies both ways.
7) parcel has to be tracked and insured.
8) same as 6, but regarding 7.

Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for a very elaborate post and ideas! My thinking was definitely not to have Neutron as a standalone unit next to kb37. I mean, for starters I would have JUST the Neutron, but if I end up liking it, the idea really was to get kb37 and put Neutron in it, then accessorize the other 27 HP (yes, I know it's not a lot) as best as possible. I really wish Waldorf offered some sort of extension to it, honestly... The keyboard really looks great.

Also thank you for the offer, but if it wasn't entirely clear, I did not intend to start off with Eurorack/kb37 any time soon. It was just a what-would-you-do scenario and a mental excercise, basically just me picking the brains of people here. And all the replies are absolutely welcomed and I'm thankful for them. So, you don't have to pack up your modules and send them over here (I'm in Croatia) - I don't have the room for that at the moment, plus I have a one year old flying around the place, so it definitely wouldn't be a safe haven for your gear, ehehe. Keep having fun with your modular, I will decide what to do much later down the road, when we move to a house and I have a whole room just for myself and gear (and a lock behind it, to keep the little one away! Right now my "home studio" is in our living room, so imagine how it is during the day )

That said, I very much like Xaoc Zadar. Not only is it a very flexible module, it's also named after our coastal city I love the most. Hehe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
That said, I very much like Xaoc Zadar. Not only is it a very flexible module, it's also named after our coastal city I love the most. Hehe.
Wow! You have most loved city in Croatia? I cannot grasp idea of picking only one! (rule applies also to the synths)

Anyway, I get your point. Therefore I will leave them in my room, where there is only a cat. On synthesisers. In space...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, it's only because I got so used to Zadar and its surroundings, being there for 8 summer vacations

But in truth, I love Osijek the most (that's why I said "coastal city", Osijek is my fav inland city, hehe). It's where I want to spend the rest of my life with my family, after we get house renovations done there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AJH from left to right... personally
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Man, that Waldorf KB37 is really cool. I have a monster Euro rig but I am downsizing. If they offered this with another row, I would definitely consider it.

Was wondering if you had any thoughts on your setup. If you had to purchase KB37 and Neutron today (and had to fill the rest of the space up) what would you go with?

Also, I know you probably want modulation with the Neutron, but have you seen Make Noise QPAS?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search