The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buchla & Associates sponsors System 100 remakes under "Red Panel" brand name
Old 25th January 2019
  #1
Buchla & Associates sponsors System 100 remakes under "Red Panel" brand name

Interesting developments here:



Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Buchla & Associates sponsors System 100 remakes under "Red Panel" brand name-red-panel.jpg  
Old 25th January 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I just saw this too. Very exciting.
Old 25th January 2019
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
This explains a lot, actually. I've been meaning to buy a voice of Catalyst modules, but they've been out of stock for months. Looks like it's going to be worth the wait. I'm excited. Chrisso's videos have given me a boner for the series 100 sound. My poor wallet is going to hate me this year.
Old 25th January 2019
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
This explains a lot, actually. I've been meaning to buy a voice of Catalyst modules, but they've been out of stock for months. Looks like it's going to be worth the wait. I'm excited. Chrisso's videos have given me a boner for the series 100 sound. My poor wallet is going to hate me this year.

Some Catalyst Audio modules here in Ashley's case. Sadly I didn't have more footage, somehow I mess up the audio when recording these two. They said they're going to move someplace, hope they'll stay on the modular scene somehow: talented, underappreciated.
Old 25th January 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

I guess they're a bit late for the party now when everyone and their dog have already cloned and marketed these modules.
Old 25th January 2019
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
I guess they're a bit late for the party now when everyone and their dog have already cloned and marketed these modules.
Not really. Guys like Sputnik and Make Noise are after the newer Buchla paradigm with complex oscillators and stored random voltages. These new ones are going to be based on the 100 series which isn't quite as complicated a system and doesn't have 'magic' modules. Think less Alessandro Cortini and more Morton Subotnik.

Clone or not, I think this is a great tribute to Don's memory, and I can't wait to get a row or two of this in my rack.
Old 25th January 2019
  #7
Yeah, the 100 is much more raw, radiophonic-stylee.
Not really similar to anything Make Noise.
Actually I'm more bummed they haven't done this in Buchla format.
I am not a fan of the 'E' type, and would love to add a couple of 100 style modules to my Buchla.
I didn't watch the whole video. The problem with the Catalyst modules were that they were so true to the original Buchla values they had lots of different voltage and audio volume inconsistencies with the Doepfer 'standard'.
It kind of means you had to jump through a few hoops to integrate them, or just make them their own system.
I don't know if these are more in line with standard Eurorack voltages, or whether (again) they've gone for the pure Buchla ethos.

Please make this for Buchla, not just Eurorack!!
Old 25th January 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
In the sonic state interview with Todd he says red panel will not be limited to eurorack. Also, one of the modules was adapted to be more eurorack voltage friendly.
Old 25th January 2019
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I didn't watch the whole video. The problem with the Catalyst modules were that they were so true to the original Buchla values they had lots of different voltage and audio volume inconsistencies with the Doepfer 'standard'.
It kind of means you had to jump through a few hoops to integrate them, or just make them their own system.
I don't know if these are more in line with standard Eurorack voltages, or whether (again) they've gone for the pure Buchla ethos.
Did a little bit of research, and I'd be willing to bet that these are rebadged Catalyst modules. The top row of 'funcitonal' modules is the entire current Catalyst lineup, including the Voltage Processor M configured for Eurorack. I hope this means that distribution will be expanding. *synthsturbates*
Old 25th January 2019
  #10
100% agreed.
They’ve swallowed up the Catalyst project.
All the modules are exactly the same, including the one made to be more Eurorack friendly.
They hint at wanting to swallow up other clone projects.
Old 30th January 2019
  #11
Back in 1981 the college that I transferred to had a giant Buchla 100 system which no one was interested in using, so I spent all my time learning that thing. Coming from the Moog modular that I was studying before, it was so different. I've always wanted to go back and explore one of these things again, I'm looking forward to trying them out once my local synth store gets them in stock.
Old 31st January 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 

If only they’d make a real “red panel” module
Old 31st January 2019
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
Coming from the Moog modular that I was studying before, it was so different. I've always wanted to go back and explore one of these things again, I'm looking forward to trying them out once my local synth store gets them in stock.
It will be different because it doesn't follow the Buchla work methods. It's just a different sounding Eurorack module effectively.
Old 31st January 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It will be different because it doesn't follow the Buchla work methods. It's just a different sounding Eurorack module effectively.
And I'm a different person then I was 38 years ago so maybe we will match.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #15
EDIT: The youtube now has been taken down YouTube

This says available in 2-3 weeks: Catalyst Audio Model 106 – Thomann UK
hmmmmm

anybody curious; this how these sound
Old 2nd February 2019
  #16
Old 2nd February 2019
  #17
The 106 is just a basic audio mixer. Sounds no different to other basic Eurorack mixers.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #18
Ksp
Lives for gear
 
Ksp's Avatar
 

for me this is all about quality of the sound , if the Oscillators sound like the originals great .
Old 2nd February 2019
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The 106 is just a basic audio mixer. Sounds no different to other basic Eurorack mixers.
I posted it as an example of availability of the modules. I'm curious what's happening. (Why would they delete a perfectly fine NAMM interview? ) Here's the lot on Thomann: Catalyst Audio – Thomann UK

That out of the way; I think the Model 158 oscillator would be a good addition for getting that sound? You have experience with these kinds of systems, right? I understood it's a bit different from eurorack and 200 in approach: Not interested in getting a whole system (too rich for me), though that would offer more of a Buchla 100 feeling, I presume.
Or should I also get a CV processor to go along with that?
PS: I know it tracks 1.2V/Oct, that is not a problem.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #20
I have 258's. Quite similar to 158.
Very good at FM'ing. Also a very nice warm vintage sounding oscillator. Haven't heard the Catalyst version except for on Youtube.
Old 22nd February 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
I don't think that RED PANEL logo does the original design much justice. I liked the Catalyst blue with the low key module numbers. What colour were the original 100's anyway (hard to tell from google pics)?

Soundwise the demos seem fantastic.

Old 22nd February 2019
  #22
Dennis (Mono-Poly) here from Rotterdam he had a Buchla 100. nearly filled it up too. But I think he sold a bunch of it.
euh to answer your question: thinn black or blue lines on white background.

yeah the big "RED PANEL" lettering is a bit eeh tacky I agree. "Good wine doesn't need a banner" as they say here.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
This obvioulsy absolutely true story sure creates good publicity for certain upcoming product.

Accidentally dosed by LSD while repairing a Buchla
Old 23rd May 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
HoPMiX's Avatar
lol yeah be careful under those red panels.
Old 24th May 2019
  #25
And still no prices announced...
Old 20th August 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar


Nice demo. Love Todd Barton.

But to the disappointment of many that HIDEOUS logo is still there. I wonder if there's anyone who actually prefers it. Anyone here? No one? Thought so.
Old 20th August 2019
  #27
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
And still no prices announced...
I just found a quote on Synthtopia saying "between $300 and $500 per module."
Old 21st August 2019
  #28
Kja
Lives for gear
At this point I really don't see the market spending 3 grand or so on this when it seems like the voltage lab from Pittsburgh sounds atleast as good to me and can do sooooo much more.
Old 21st August 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Well to be fair voltage lab is a semi so of course it is going have a better cost/feature ratio same as the Mothers and other semis. The market for the Red Panels is more than likely people looking to pick up specific modules that they feel will add that Buchla flavor. I'm curious about the details on all the modules.
Old 23rd August 2019
  #30
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Well to be fair voltage lab is a semi so of course it is going have a better cost/feature ratio same as the Mothers and other semis. The market for the Red Panels is more than likely people looking to pick up specific modules that they feel will add that Buchla flavor. I'm curious about the details on all the modules.
The voltage lab is not a semi, it's full euro. The Microvolt was a semi but the new one is not.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump