The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buchla & Associates sponsors System 100 remakes under "Red Panel" brand name
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

I'm really not trying to start an argument over semantics but even on the PM website voltage lab is listed under "synthesizers" along with the microvolt and their previous black box units.

https://pittsburghmodular.com/lifeforms-synthesizers
Old 23rd August 2019
From what I've seen there is nothing seriously special about any of the modules - other than a vibe. maybe the oscillator FMs nicely, maybe in a nicer way than other oscillators.
But they are a premium price. for example the mixer, it's a basic mixer with a bit of 'Buchla vibe'.
A good part of the Buchla magic is in the original modules, with the touch plate and separated audio and voltage workflow.
These modules are for fanatics or completist collectors IMO.
Old 24th August 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm really not trying to start an argument over semantics but even on the PM website voltage lab is listed under "synthesizers" along with the microvolt and their previous black box units.

https://pittsburghmodular.com/lifeforms-synthesizers
It's not semantics, the voltage lab is not normaled at all and is eurorack. It is a synthesizer but it's also eurorack, not a semi modular.
Old 26th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
....... snip....

Nice demo. Love Todd Barton.

But to the disappointment of many that HIDEOUS logo is still there. I wonder if there's anyone who actually prefers it. Anyone here? No one? Thought so.
second video (his stuff is in my feed as well )
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

The logo still hurts my eyes but Mr. Barton's demos are wonderful. Here's another one with a nice little history overview:

Old 9th September 2019
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think that RED PANEL logo does the original design much justice.
it looks appalling , i would personally have to respray them they look that bad , its like why do you need to read ' Red Panel ' so clear on every panel ? its not even red panel ? its just bad design.
Old 9th September 2019
Ksp
Lives for gear

on the + the oscillators in the 100 do have a very unique twang and the systems form factor encourages a more minimal use of modular compared to euro rack with 3000 waveforms and endless black hole options ,

Its all about the sound of the Oscillators for me with these and the form factor and getting that early buchla sound but those Red panel logos need erasing badly
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru

Buchla's site says they should have started shipping these out last week.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
it looks appalling , i would personally have to respray them they look that bad , its like why do you need to read ' Red Panel ' so clear on every panel ? its not even red panel ? its just bad design.
I've yet to see anyone preferring or liking that ridiculous logo, here, MW or FB. For me it may even be a dealbraker. From what I've understood (and also presumably) there were a number of requests to Buchla USA to get rid of it. Maybe it's just one genious there making these decisions, who knows.

OTOH they seem (see their FB page) to be planning to rerelease the 100 and classic 200 series in 4U format and the former seems to have the classic look. But I won't go 4U, too expensive for me.

So, although I'd preferred a white faceplate like the original, I guess the Tokyo Tape Music Center is the way to go. Good vibes there. Already have the 158 through hole version and love it.

Edit: TTMS is now offering white panel options, yay!

Last edited by Ossicle; 9th September 2019 at 04:40 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've yet to see anyone preferring or liking that ridiculous logo, here, MW or FB. For me it may even be a dealbraker. From what I've understood (and also presumably) there were a number of requests to Buchla USA to get rid of it. Maybe it's just one genious there making these decisions, who knows.
!

as odd as it sounds i wont buy them on the basis of that design as have to live looking at stuff and i dislike bad design , i avoided tons of synths due to that and the nord modulars i owned i resprayed.... maybe its a ' red ' thing...all person taste

The new Buchla series 100 / 200 looks great as it looks like the old designs but yeah $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm not buying the red panel series either, mostly because of the logo. I keep saying this repeatedly, I know, but the logo really irritates me, and the fact that we get this idiotic looking incarnation after such a long wait and after they went and - AFAIK - consumed the nice and friendly Catalyst Audio project.

The Tokyo Tape Music stuff is cheaper, through hole (in case that makes a difference) and better vibe overall.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search