The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new in eurorack : ambient stuff
Old 14th February 2019
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbfort View Post
+1. Got one recently and it’s just fantastic. Highly recommend pairing it with a Worng Vector Space and slowly modulating all the things.
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Head

didnt notice that when i make some change in the modular ,the pic changes... and there is a glitch with last one,... anyway,here is my last testing..
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagon View Post
didnt notice that when i make some change in the modular ,the pic changes... and there is a glitch with last one,... anyway,here is my last testing..
Those modules look great, but your down to one sound source now.

I think if you add Pam's, Maths, and a filter to what you have, you'll have a solid starter setup to play around with, and you'll start to figure out what you're missing.

I would spend some time thinking about which filter first, so many in Eurorack, and most are very good.
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Head

here is a setup from modulargrid that can fit in my intentions , using external fx or another little case with erbverb and other fx modules.
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Head

Suggestion for beginners - ambient

Hi! Long time musician here thinking about exploring modulars. There’s so much out there my head is spinning a bit. Knowing what you know, if you were starting fresh, which modules would you start with if interested in Eno-esque ambient, or maybe even some Steve Reich like minimalism? I know I like the sound of some Instruo oscillators as well as their harmonaig. Otherwise I’m an open book. Thanks!
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtycho View Post
Hi! Long time musician here thinking about exploring modulars. There’s so much out there my head is spinning a bit. Knowing what you know, if you were starting fresh, which modules would you start with if interested in Eno-esque ambient,
Mutable Instruments seems to be the brand of choice for ambient.
Quote:
or maybe even some Steve Reich like minimalism?
Rings! I kept thinking of Reich while playing with mine on the weekend, especially in four voice polyphonic mode where you can switch voices at odd times with a trigger.
Quote:
I know I like the sound of some Instruo oscillators as well as their harmonaig. Otherwise I’m an open book. Thanks!
If you like the idea of the Harmonaig have a look at the ACL Sinfonion.
Old 26th August 2019
< hi welcome to the forum @ jtycho - I've merged your tread with an earlier one
Also please see this thread: ambient eurorack: options. an this one: Small but flexible setup for ambient >
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsy View Post
Mutable Instruments seems to be the brand of choice for ambient.

Rings! I kept thinking of Reich while playing with mine on the weekend, especially in four voice polyphonic mode where you can switch voices at odd times with a trigger.

If you like the idea of the Harmonaig have a look at the ACL Sinfonion.
Thank you! That ACL Sinfonion looks like a beast.
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear
I think the most important question to ask is: How am I going to compose? Lots of modules can give you gates and triggers, that's easy. It's also pretty easy to get random pitches, even scale-quantized random. But is that the composition you want? That's the bleep-blorp krell self-generating path, the set-it-up and let it run method. Beyond that there's a range of simple to complex Euro sequencers. IMO they tend to be pretty basic, often 16-step based, and a bit tedious to use to go beyond that. So then do you want an external keyboard, a more complex external sequencer or even full DAW integration?

That's the flow chart I'd travel down. Then decide on modules.
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Addict
Interesting set-up, im going slightly in the same direction.

Regarding oscilators and filters, is purely personal I think. I chose the Studio Electronics ones. Probably going para/polyphonic for some pads. I chose the Intellijel dual-ADSR because it can go slow. A Maths, because I am used to work with the blofeld and being able to use the mathematic functions is imho super nice to create really long and evolving pads.

also super personal, I prefer to stay away from the mutable instrument ones. They are really nice, but like the strymon (big/blue)sky reverb, you do just hear the effect. You can tell what's in there and I personally don't like that. The earlier mentioned Valhalla DSP is super nice and are recognizable but not as much as the other modules mentioned a sentence earlier.

For me, im not sure if ill be mistaken ambient with pads for you, but phasers and chorus are super important fx to me. There are really beautiful phasers in eurorack.

And different noise types and a good panner. The latter one is hard to get right imho. Intellijel Panner 2 could be super nice to bring some animation in long sounds as well.

Its by the way really cool to read everyone's approaches. I'm also just started. I have my rack parts planned, but they change a lot every time i read more. Luckily, ill take it slow with buying ;-)
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

I love granular in ambient, like Qu-bit Nebulae
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtycho View Post
Hi! Long time musician here thinking about exploring modulars. There’s so much out there my head is spinning a bit. Knowing what you know, if you were starting fresh, which modules would you start with if interested in Eno-esque ambient, or maybe even some Steve Reich like minimalism? I know I like the sound of some Instruo oscillators as well as their harmonaig. Otherwise I’m an open book. Thanks!
Since you mentioned Reich, this is worth a watch:

Old 29th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Since you mentioned Reich, this is worth a watch:

That was pretty great!
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Nut

How to "ambient" : get a few, maybe 3-4 modules together, and figure out how they WORK... then, with your new insight, watch demos of modules online (Divkid, Mylar Melodies, et al), figure out what you'd like to do, and how you'd like to do it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search