The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where are the Moog modular reissue owners?
Old 12th January 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
Where are the Moog modular reissue owners?

I have maybe seen less than 8? If that Youtube videos of Moog Modular reissue owners.

They were sold and went into the abyss not to be seen from again.

Any Moog Modular reissue owners here? What models do you own.
Old 12th January 2019
  #2
Seems mainly a collector piece at those frankly outrageous prices and limited runs. I’d wager a large number of them still live in their official Moog packaging, never to be played at all.
Old 12th January 2019
  #3
Gear Nut
Moog 15 here. I‘m not a collector. Just busy making music.
Old 13th January 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Seems mainly a collector piece at those frankly outrageous prices and limited runs. I’d wager a large number of them still live in their official Moog packaging, never to be played at all.
Actually most of them went to artists, a friend of mine being one.

Robin Pecknold bought one.

Check instagram, there is actually a lot of people using them.
Old 14th January 2019
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Actually most of them went to artists, a friend of mine being one.

Robin Pecknold bought one.

Check instagram, there is actually a lot of people using them.
I meant no offense by the remark at all, it's clearly a musical instrument that is also a collector's item. But unless you work for Moog how can you actually know where most of them went? Not really challenging you on this just a little counterpoint. My assumption and yours have equal merit in my view.
Old 14th January 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I meant no offense by the remark at all, it's clearly a musical instrument that is also a collector's item. But unless you work for Moog how can you actually know where most of them went? Not really challenging you on this just a little counterpoint. My assumption and yours have equal merit in my view.
I made the same assumption as you to be honest.

I know my friend and a few others got the Model 15 for about 6.5k so they must not have sold well at 10k.
Old 14th January 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I made the same assumption as you to be honest.

I know my friend and a few others got the Model 15 for about 6.5k so they must not have sold well at 10k.
That’s a great price! Since I’m already 2x that deep in Euro I’d be looking at the One if I had that kind of cash though. Moog Modular sounds incredible obviously but Euro has all the digital bells and whistles that make my ears happy.
Old 14th January 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I didn't think the reissues were practical because of their price. Me personally, I'd go the 5u route. Plenty of Moog clones out there for way cheaper.
Old 15th January 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
That’s a great price! Since I’m already 2x that deep in Euro I’d be looking at the One if I had that kind of cash though. Moog Modular sounds incredible obviously but Euro has all the digital bells and whistles that make my ears happy.
6.5K I would buy another love my model 15. I will never get rid of my Model 15 and Minimoog reissue. Those two will be handed down to my niece when I croak

I do have some eurorack stuff ie cwejman stuff etc.. in 2 portable setups. I Wish Moog Music would create 901.904 etc.. modules in eurorack size. They need to get with the program.

I am glad they reissued those classics not back when I was broke and unable to afford it. I guess perfect timing. Since I was a kid I always dreamed of owning both instruments now they sit in the B room.
Old 15th January 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
I Wish Moog Music would create 901.904 etc.. modules in eurorack size. They need to get with the program..
There are plenty of them out there in Eurorack.

AION MODULAR Eurorack Synthesizer Modules
Old 16th January 2019
  #11
DSC
Gear Maniac
 
DSC's Avatar
Don't worry, after they have satisfied their richer clientele, they should come back down to the ground and satisfy the rest of us common folks. In the meantime we can at least dream, right?

Old 16th January 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
I love looking at your creations. That rig is very drool-inspiring.
Old 1st April 2019
  #13
Here for the gear
Moog 15 vintage & reissue

Hi all!!!
I'm from Argentina and I have both a vintage Moog 15 (with RA Moog and Moog Music modules) and a Moog 15 reissue, plus a 960 Sequential Controller (Moog Music, vintage), a 962 Sequential Switch (RA Moog, vintage) and a pretty old 950 Keyboard controller (from 1968, I think).
My first experiences with totally modular synthesizers were when I acquired a Technosaurus Selector C in the year 2000 and, shortly after, a vintage modular E-Mu system of good size. Although I had my first synthesizer in 1988 and already in the early 90s in my set I had incorporated Korg MS20 and SQ10, ARP2600, EMS Synthi AKS, etc. I always felt fascination with the modular synthesizers and their enormous possibilities and the panorama of their massive resurgence at all seemed to be in sight at the beginning of the '90s and even less the possibility that there would be modular Moogs again (the brand was literally missing in that time)... Timidly the picture began to change towards the end of the '90s, Doepfer, Technosaurus, MOTM, Analog Systems, etc. and even different incarnations of Moog (Moog Custom engineering, Don Martin's Moog, etc.) resumed the path Modular that seemed to have been buried in the sample players and workstations and when I finally could compare in real studio and live situations the real power of the modular I had no doubt that there resided a "truth". Also the fact of experimenting simultaneously with a vintage modular (the E-Mu) and a "new" (the Technosaurus) allowed me to compare similarities, differences and potentialities of the options. When Moog resurfaces from the hand of Bob and then when, at last, they decide to make large modular models again (after the experiences -for me very gratifying- of, for example, the Moogerfoogers and Voyagers) I felt that finally it was close to that the circle closes in a virtuous way and that along with it new paths are also opened for the classic Moog models both made by the brand itself and by companies that clone them (Mos-Lab, COTK, SynthWerk, Corysynth, DotCom, etc.). Modular Moog has always been my highest fantasy in modular systems for sound, ergonomic, historical reasons, etc. but this was only intuitions based on recordings, photos, videos, books, etc. A couple of times I had tried to acquire modular Moogs at the beginning of the 2000s but they escaped me and the prices did not stop going up... In 2015 I had the opportunity to buy a Moog 15 reissue and I did not doubt it. Although I knew I was paying more than double for a similar model of other brands that already cloned the 15 I sensed that there was something genuine within the new Moogs (I can not say for sure, maybe because of the access to instruments and documentation and components and original prototypes and the work of technical specialists in vintage Moogs) and when in 2016 I finally received my unit I felt absolutely overwhelmed by the beauty of the experience. The instrument really shine in its main area: the inspiration that produces its sound and its performative use, and the feedback that develops with it. Despite my absolute love for the modular E-Mu there is an indescribable magic in the Moog that I could experience in person after thirty years of playing synthesizers and thirty-five years of listening to electronic music... That magic I felt present in the Moog reissue, despite noticing certain inconsistencies (some knobs, for example, are not up to the level of vintage Moogs, although the appearance and overall construction quality is excellent). A few months after that experience I definitely wanted to deepen it and I found a vintage Moog 15 with sequencer at a good price in the UK. I got indebted (thanks to the help of a very good friend!) and I acquired it. I was in doubt whether, when I could compare both instruments, there would be much superiority on the part of the vintage (which would have implied that it might have been better to buy a Mos-Lab instead of a Moog 15 reissue, for example) or almost no difference (which implied having paid almost twice as much as a reissue only for the "historical" value of the vintage). When I finally had the two were perfectly integrated and to this day are, for me, the same instrument... the vintage has, indeed, a superior quality in some components and pieces but the reissue is felt and experienced authentic and dialogue between them is excellent. I have noticed differences in the bands of the fixed filter banks (in the vintage I have a 907 R. A. Moog, the reissue is inspired by the 907A, although in theory there should be no technical differences between them beyond the size of the module and its disposition) and at the levels of the noise generator (the noise of the reissue sounds louder and brighter and, for example, the 907A tends to saturate a bit with all the bands very high in sounds with a lot of harmonic content). The response of the regeneration between the two 904A is a little different but even in certain settings I tend to prefer the vintage and, in another, the reissue.
In 2016 I toured Europe and tried the Moog 35 reissue with Sequencer Complement by Hannes Bieger and a few months ago my generous Argentine friend received a full Moog IIIC reissue, with the Sequencer Complement and, beyond noticing in that model again some inconsistencies in details of termination of some knobs and switches (which seem to have been made with lower quality components since some things like backlit/retro illuminated switches, buttons used sequencer and Bakelite are not available in our days) the instrument is really impressive. A little convincing detail of the IIIC reissue of my friend is the duophonic keyboard 953 (black) that has a construction and an aesthetic that is not according to the quality of the rest of the system but another friend of mine, the Spanish Toni Gutierrez (who makes the Antonus 2600 and Step Brother) tried another 953 (wood) and it was better built.
On a recent travel to France I made the opportunity to use a vintage Moog with oscillators 901 and I felt the 901 reissue very close to that thick and warm feeling of the originals.
I will gladly extend my experiences if you wish, my friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the Moog modular reissue owners?-dsc_8665.jpg  

Last edited by ernestoromeo; 16th April 2019 at 02:16 PM..
Old 13th April 2019
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Hello Ernesto!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestoromeo View Post
Hi all!!!
I'm from Argentina and I have both a vintage Moog 15 (with RA Moog and Moog Music modules) and a Moog 15 reissue, plus a 960 Sequential Controller (Moog Music, vintage), a 962 Sequential Switch (RA Moog, vintage) and a pretty old 950 Keyboard controller (from 1968, I think).
My first experiences with totally modular synthesizers were when I acquired a Technosaurus Selector C in the year 2000 and, shortly after, a vintage modular E-Mu system of good size. Although I had my first synthesizer in 1988 and already in the early 90s in my set I had incorporated Korg MS20 and SQ10, ARP2600, EMS Synthi AKS, etc. I always felt fascination with the modular synthesizers and their enormous possibilities and the panorama of their massive resurgence at all seemed to be in sight at the beginning of the '90s and even less the possibility that there would be modular Moogs again (the brand was literally missing in that time)... Timidly the picture began to change towards the end of the '90s, Doepfer, Technosaurus, MOTM, Analog Systems, etc. and even different incarnations of Moog (Moog Custom engineering, Don Martin's Moog, etc.) resumed the path Modular that seemed to have been buried in the sample players and workstations and when I finally could compare in real studio and live situations the real power of the modular I had no doubt that there resided a "truth". Also the fact of experimenting simultaneously with a vintage modular (the E-Mu) and a "new" (the Technosaurus) allowed me to compare similarities, differences and potentialities of the options. When Moog resurfaces from the hand of Bob and then when, at last, they decide to make large modular models again (after the experiences -for me very gratifying- of, for example, the Moogerfoogers and Voyagers) I felt that finally it was close to that the circle closes in a virtuous way and that along with it new paths are also opened for the classic Moog models both made by the brand itself and by companies that clone them (Mos-Lab, COTK, SynthWerk, Corysynth, DotCom, etc.). Modular Moog has always been my highest fantasy in modular systems for sound, ergonomic, historical reasons, etc. but this was only intuitions based on recordings, photos, videos, books, etc. A couple of times I had tried to acquire modular Moogs at the beginning of the 2000s but they escaped me and the prices did not stop going up... In 2015 I had the opportunity to buy a Moog 15 reissue and I did not doubt it. Although I knew I was paying more than double for a similar model of other brands that already cloned the 15 I sensed that there was something genuine within the new Moogs (I can not say for sure, maybe because of the access to instruments and documentation and components and original prototypes and the work of technical specialists in vintage Moogs) and when in 2016 I finally received my unit I felt absolutely overwhelmed by the beauty of the experience. The instrument really shine in its main area: the inspiration that produces its sound and its performative use, and the feedback that develops with it. Despite my absolute love for the modular E-Mu there is an indescribable magic in the Moog that I could experience in person after thirty years of playing synthesizers and thirty-five years of listening to electronic music... That magic I felt present in the Moog reissue, despite noticing certain inconsistencies (some knobs, for example, are not up to the level of vintage Moogs, although the appearance and overall construction quality is excellent). A few months after that experience I definitely wanted to deepen it and I found a vintage Moog 15 with sequencer at a good price in the UK. I got indebted (thanks to the help of a very good friend!) and I acquired it. I was in doubt whether, when I could compare both instruments, there would be much superiority on the part of the vintage (which would have implied that it might have been better to buy a Mos-Lab instead of a Moog 15 reissue, for example) or almost no difference (which implied having paid almost twice as much as a reissue only for the "historical" value of the vintage). When I finally had the two were perfectly integrated and to this day are, for me, the same instrument... the vintage has, indeed, a superior quality in some components and pieces but the reissue is felt and experienced authentic and dialogue between them is excellent. I have noticed differences in the bands of the fixed filter banks (in the vintage I have a 907 R. A. Moog, the reissue is inspired by the 907A, although in theory there should be no technical differences between them beyond the size of the module and its disposition) and at the levels of the noise generator (the noise of the reissue sounds louder and brighter and, for example, the 904A tends to saturate a bit with all the bands very high in sounds with a lot of harmonic content). The response of the regeneration between the two 904A is a little different but even in certain settings I tend to prefer the vintage and, in another, the reissue.
In 2016 I toured Europe and tried the Moog 35 reissue with Sequencer Complement by Hannes Bieger and a few months ago my generous Argentine friend received a full Moog IIIC reissue, with the Sequencer Complement and, beyond noticing in that model again some inconsistencies in details of termination of some knobs and switches (which seem to have been made with lower quality components since some things like backlit/retro illuminated switches, buttons used sequencer and Bakelite are not available in our days) the instrument is really impressive. A little convincing detail of the IIIC reissue of my friend is the duophonic keyboard 953 (black) that has a construction and an aesthetic that is not according to the quality of the rest of the system but another friend of mine, the Spanish Toni Gutierrez (who makes the Antonus 2600 and Step Brother) tried another 953 (wood) and it was better built.
On a recent travel to France I made the opportunity to use a vintage Moog with oscillators 901 and I felt the 901 reissue very close to that thick and warm feeling of the originals.
I will gladly extend my experiences if you wish, my friends.
Old 14th April 2019
  #15
Gear Nut
 
becks bolero's Avatar
 

thanks for the detailed explanation, Ernesto!

ps I find it hilarious that you joined here in 2009, and have only 2 posts!
Old 17th April 2019
  #16
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
thanks for the detailed explanation, Ernesto!

ps I find it hilarious that you joined here in 2009, and have only 2 posts!
Hi!
Gearslutz is a forum with a lot of participation and many contributors and may require a very active participation that I (for my musical activities and teachers and the activities of my study) could not have, so I found it useful to contribute something in this specific discussion because There is a lot of information about Moog modular reissue and vintage and I think I can help someone with my experiences. But it is likely that I will begin to have more participation, I like the idea, hahaha
Old 18th April 2019
  #17
Gear Nut
 
becks bolero's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestoromeo View Post
Hi!
Gearslutz is a forum with a lot of participation and many contributors and may require a very active participation that I (for my musical activities and teachers and the activities of my study) could not have, so I found it useful to contribute something in this specific discussion because There is a lot of information about Moog modular reissue and vintage and I think I can help someone with my experiences. But it is likely that I will begin to have more participation, I like the idea, hahaha
ha, yes, I was not being negative at all...but you obviously have more self restraint ( or maybe just self control? ) than most!

Old 18th April 2019
  #18
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
ha, yes, I was not being negative at all...but you obviously have more self restraint ( or maybe just self control? ) than most!

To tell the truth I do not have so much self-control when I start to investigate the peculiarities of each synthesizer and incorporate it into our studio, hahaha...

Seriously speaking, I still deeply love wonderful synths like the Yamaha CS80 and DX1, Korg PS3300, EMS Synthi AKS and VCS3, PPG Wave, MemoryMoog, Prophet T8 & 5, etc. and several modular ones there is NOTHING that I like to use more than the Modular Moogs and everything that I can contribute to this forum to the users or interested I will do it.

Last edited by ernestoromeo; 18th April 2019 at 08:27 PM..
Old 18th April 2019
  #19
Gear Nut
 
becks bolero's Avatar
 

agree, they are very inspiring

I am building a modest 5U system, cannot wait to get it running
Old 19th April 2019
  #20
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
agree, they are very inspiring

I am building a modest 5U system, cannot wait to get it running
and with which modules?
Old 19th April 2019
  #21
Gear Nut
 
becks bolero's Avatar
 

a mix of Oakley, Catgirl, Yusynth, etc

I'll send you a PM, so as not to derail the thread!
Old 23rd April 2019
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for this great post Ernesto!
It's really useful and interesting!
I see you have SW 901, how close is it to the Moog (Vintage or Reissue)? I have a Model 15 since 2016 too and it has been my go to synth for every projects I worked on since... but two weeks ago, I just got my IIIp and this thing is so deep I have to learn again!
Cheers
Old 24th April 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 

I can confirm that a Chicago-area enthusiast had purchased a reissue Model 35 and 15 (at least) and had them in storage prior to putting them up on the market. I think they did eventually sell.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #24
Here for the gear
Thank you laflamme! I'm glad the comment is useful.
Actually the modular Moog makes a difference between dozens of other synthesizers. It is a really special instrument full of character and subtleties!
And congratulations for the IIIP ...! It has a very peculiar tone, it is the beginning of everything practically! It does not have many secrets at the synthesis level and the configuration is very rare for the later standard of synths, it is a rare synthesizer system the III..., ten oscillators and only one set of VCFs and only 3 VCAs and EGs ...! But what a wonderful sound! It helps to think music and sound synthesis in another way!
The SW901 is beautiful! I could not compare it with VCOs Moog 901 since I still do not have those original oscillators in my system ... I used 901 of Moog in the IIIC Reissue of a friend of mine and in the vintage Moog of Francois Marcaud in Paris but I never made comparison 1:1. Still, I highly recommend Synth Werk modules. They have a great quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflamme View Post
Thanks for this great post Ernesto!
It's really useful and interesting!
I see you have SW 901, how close is it to the Moog (Vintage or Reissue)? I have a Model 15 since 2016 too and it has been my go to synth for every projects I worked on since... but two weeks ago, I just got my IIIp and this thing is so deep I have to learn again!
Cheers
Old 7th May 2019
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Thanks Ernesto!

Yeah the IIIp (mine is Reissue) is quite simple on paper... but as you could know, the way you can make mixers saturate and the amount of VCOs you can pack together makes this machine a super deep synth. And the amount of sensibility or brutality this synth can reach is quite magic! This what I wanted to say by "I have to learn again"...

My friend is about to order SW901s... he's been blown away by the quality of the 901s... We then be able to compare the Moog Reissue 901 and the SW901... I'll let you know!

Best!

Sam
Old 1 week ago
  #26
Here for the gear
I've been spending several days with the Moog IIIC reissue of my friend Gustavo (in addition to using, permanently in my studio, my two Moog Modular System 15 -vintage and reissue-) and every day I am more surprised of the incredible sonority, power and musicality of those instruments. I really feel that since I began to relate to the Moog modulars I understood a lot more than what the first steps of electronic music meant but also of its present. The tone obtained from the combination of the VCOs, mixers, VCFs and VCAs Moog is surprisingly beautiful and I can say that this is valid for both the 900 and 920 series of oscillators and that in the sound field the reissue really are very well achieved, They sound genuine and powerful, with all the subtle characteristics of vintage Moogs.
I also continue to experience the consequences of construction differences in some details of the reissue compared to originals that are not up to the level of such expensive instruments (selectors, knob adjustments, sequencer and sequential switch buttons, etc.), but in the total amount they are still details given that the sound and the sensation is tremendously genuine and each session with the modular Moogs (of any epoch) is extraordinarily pleasant... I have also been using some SynthWerk modules in my system for a long time. and also experimenting with DotCom systems and some (few) COTK modules and, for the moment, I think the SynthWerk are the highest quality of all... but I think I would like to know more COTK modules to give a more solid opinion and I would also like to experiment with Mos-Lab.
When you have more comparisons of the Moog with the SynthWerk or other clones, let us know, Sam
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflamme View Post
Thanks Ernesto!

Yeah the IIIp (mine is Reissue) is quite simple on paper... but as you could know, the way you can make mixers saturate and the amount of VCOs you can pack together makes this machine a super deep synth. And the amount of sensibility or brutality this synth can reach is quite magic! This what I wanted to say by "I have to learn again"...

My friend is about to order SW901s... he's been blown away by the quality of the 901s... We then be able to compare the Moog Reissue 901 and the SW901... I'll let you know!

Best!

Sam
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Elsapo2001 / Modular Mania - All Things Eurorack and Modular Synths/effects
53
Firechild / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
5
tok / Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump