The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Constantly Transposing Sequences Modular Synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Constantly Transposing Sequences

Transposing the pitch of a sequence every bar or every few bars?
Some people say you can input a voltage to the FM input of your oscillator.
Other people suggest precision adders. But there aren't any simple precision adder videos/tutorials on Youtube. Just complex patches where you can't see what is doing what.
I would rather not manually switch the transposition. And I don't want to transpose octaves - more like whole tones and semi-tones.
Any advice or comments?

(The Sequencer doesn't have it's own transpose feature)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've done this using Maths. Sequencer CV out on a channel. Transposing voltage on another channel. Sum out to CV in on oscillator. Adjust channel levels (I believe) to scale tracking. Supposedly you can do this with any CV mixer. I'm guessing the precision adder allows you to control this more precisely.

I've done the "FM in" trick on the STO as well adjust the level until it tracks as closely as possible. It didn't seem to work as well on the DPO for some reason.

I've had my eye on the Doepfer quantizer for doing this. It would allow me to quantize 2 pressure points channels and transpose externally. I've thought about this less since getting o_C... I know it quantizes, not sure if it allows transposition.
Old 2 weeks ago
I have O&C.
It just does octave transposition.
An alternative is to program two or three separate sequences and switch between them in O&C, but that seems like a lot of extra work.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just curious, which sequencer do you have, Chris?

A lot of the sequencers I have do have transpose inputs but for ones that don't I might use a second sequencer (or independent row of the same sequencer) along with a precision adder to transpose. And I'd likely use a clock divider so that the sequencer or row doing the transposition is running much slower.

The T43 by VPME has 3 inputs that can be accurately summed, I have one and it works well and is inexpensive:
T43 – vpme.de – Vladimir Pantelic Musikelektronik

Another device I've had my eye on but haven't purchased is the Tonic module by Rebel Technology. Combined with a precision adder you could use gates and other CV to automatically transpose a sequence:
Tonic – Rebel Technology

In a prefect world a new version of the Tonic would add at least one precision CV input OR a new version of the T43 would add gate inputs to turn on and off the transposition?
Old 2 weeks ago
I've been through a lot of sequencers.
I'm mostly using sequins on O&C right now. I also have a simple Befaco Muxlicer and I can use Reaktor Blocks (basic sequencer).
I can't justify the expense of a Rene II, Stilson Hammer or Winter Modular.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
The T43 by VPME has 3 inputs that can be accurately summed, I have one and it works well and is inexpensive:
T43 – vpme.de – Vladimir Pantelic Musikelektronik

Another device I've had my eye on but haven't purchased is the Tonic module by Rebel Technology. Combined with a precision adder you could use gates and other CV to automatically transpose a sequence:
Tonic – Rebel Technology

In a prefect world a new version of the Tonic would add at least one precision CV input OR a new version of the T43 would add gate inputs to turn on and off the transposition?
I've had my eye on the T43 for months, but there are no simple walk through videos of what it does and how.
Second, I would prefer CV transpose, rather than manual switch.
Tonic looks very interesting. But the fixed interval thing (with adjustment on the back of the module) could drive me mad.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I've had my eye on the T43 for months, but there are no simple walk through videos of what it does and how.
You just plug the CV out of your sequencer into one of its SUM inputs and then use the center off toggle switches to add and subtract a number of 12ths of volts (half steps) or 1 or 2 volts (octaves). You use a combination of switches to get the desired interval.

I've never done a good demo for it, or even a bad one, but here is a quick test I did on Instagram for what it's worth.
John Rice on Instagram: “Quick test of of the new vpme.de T43 I got to replace the Doepfer precision added. Both are great modules but the T43 will better suit the…”
Old 2 weeks ago
Thanks. Perfect video. Why VPME can't do that?
The only negative is the glitch when you manually switch it. That's why I prefer a CV switch rather than manual.
This module does everything I want, just the manual switch is the negative.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm not nearly as skilled as John at videoing but I thought I'd take a stab.

• Here I am clocking 2 different sequencers (Pressure Points and Rene) from Tempi.
  • The Pressure Points (8 steps) is running a flat pitch initially. I am running the CV out into a channel on Maths.
  • The Rene (4 steps) has some quantized voltage programmed and CV out is going to another channel on the Maths.
  • Maths Sum out is going to the 1v/oct in on the DPO.
  • DPO sine out to audio mixer.

The channel levels on Maths control the amount of influence of the CV. You can use this to scale your CV until it seems to be tracking properly.

• Here I am clocking 2 different sequencers (Pressure Points and Rene) from Tempi.
  • The Pressure Points (8 steps) is running a flat pitch initially. I am running the CV out into 1v/oct in on DPO
  • The Rene (4 steps) has some quantized voltage programmed and CV out is going to Expo in on DPO.

The Expo in on the DPO scales the tracking of the incoming pitch. Some tweaking should get you pretty close.

• Tempi clocks going to T1 (Channel 1 clack in) and T3 (Channel 3 clock in) on o_C (running Hemisphere and Sequencer5 on both halves)
  • o_C output C (Channel 3 CV out) sequence is going to C1 (Channel 1 CV in) to transpose.
  • o_C output A (Channel 1 CV out) is going to 1v/oct on DPO

This is all quantized CV should track exactly as you like.

I was nervous about trying hemisphere in my o_C but the change doesn't require any re-calibration and as long as you have access to the back of the module, the change in programming only takes about 10 seconds and is super easy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A quick FYI. Mutable's Links was designed to be a precision adder, specifically the second and third blocks. I had one in a rack for more than a year before I realized it. Personally, my old Disting Mk 3 is my go to adder given how easily you can also shift octaves after the voltage offset.

Even with an adder though, I prefer to run everything through a quantizer afterwards to ensure consistency of key and mode.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The first thing that comes to mind is the whole sequencers sequencing sequencers thing. Have your main riff played by your main sequencer, and then have another sequencer to transpose or mix with the output that's being driven by a clock divider so that it's only outputting a pitch change ever x number of steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Stilson Hammer
Expense aside, I can't recommend it. It's fiddly as can be. At best, it's a cool random sequence generator.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've done this with the two sequencers on the BSP mixing the two v/o signals together with a Triatt at unity gain. I was actually surprised how well it worked. I expected that it would be slightly out of tune but I didn't even need a quantizer after it. In the video the yellow sequencer is transposing the green one.

Old 2 weeks ago
I think Links is going to do it, and it's super cheap.

Thanks void23. Also, the other comments were interesting too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I've done this with the two sequencers on the BSP mixing the two v/o signals together with a Triatt at unity gain. I was actually surprised how well it worked. I expected that it would be slightly out of tune but I didn't even need a quantizer after it. In the video the yellow sequencer is transposing the green one.

That was dope! Inspired me to get the BSP out of the “To Sell” pile and try something similar next week.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
That was dope! Inspired me to get the BSP out of the “To Sell” pile and try something similar next week.
Thanks! I also have my BSP sidelined after my MPC Live/Yarns purchase. I love the MPC Live but I do miss the immediacy of the BSP. You could certainly do the transposition trick but I don't think there's any way to change the tempo divisions on the fly like that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search