The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg Volca Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
I'm in full agreement with you on this.

Instead, discussion of the VM gets shunted into a modular ghetto where it's specs and form factor will get torn apart by 'experts' who will judge it on how well it fits (or doesn't) into their giant walls of Eurorack.

The irony is the device isn't targeted to that demographic. Maybe Korg should have called it the 'Volca West' just so it isn't arbitrarily dumped into a place where it isn't even appreciated for what it brings to the table for those who don't have a four figure investment in modular gear and for the fact that someone new to the forum wont even be able to find the discussion.

Surely we have the technology to have the same discussion mirrored in two forums... If not, maybe we should make some donations for more flexible forum software.

It really should have been called the Volca West

Or Volca West Coast

It is in the wrong subforum IMO. Any prebuilt self contained modular systems should be in the synth forum, all else here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Ugh...

No one has torn it apart, and you don't know the couple of mild criticisms have been made by people with 'giant walls of Eurorack'.
Move it back to 'Electronic Music' where it 'belongs'...fine, but I think some of you need to get a grip...
... and I no longer question why you cable-guys wanted your own separate echo chamber.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here's another decent sounding demo..

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... and I no longer question why you cable-guys wanted your own separate echo chamber.
I was the one who lead the charge for a modular forum, and it was so we didn’t annoy the rest of the synth users with our chat, and to have an area where we could talk in more depth and with easier search than having a single annual Modular thread that we all sequestered ourselves to.
Old 4 weeks ago
It could have been in both forums.
I look all over Gearslutz for topics that interest me. I can see why most people would not delve into the modular only sub forum. I don't think it's a problem to have two threads going at once.
No one called the Arp 2600 or Korg MS20 'modular', and I agree, this is MOST likely going to appeal to the person who has yet to try modular synthesis, or synths with patch points.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

the "micro modular with jumper cables" is a ghetto in itself, not an appealing one I must say... I'm disappointed the volca went that way
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Teenage Engineering have done what I thought Korg had done when I first saw the Volca Modular news. It's cheap, it's easy to understand, it basically conforms (volts and cables) to the huge Eurorack eco system.
I don't find that cheap at all. For 400 or 550 bucks nowadays you can find good semi-modular stuff that doesn't look like legos
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by naos View Post
For 400 or 550 bucks nowadays you can find good semi-modular stuff that doesn't look like legos
Like?

The smaller 9 module system including keyboard is £329. The keyboard/sequencer is £139.
Not as cheap as the Volca, but what else competes?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Behringer Neutron? $329.99 + Arturia KeyStep $119.00
Old 4 weeks ago
In the UK that combo is about £50 more than the TO red system.
If the TO modular isn’t ‘cheap’ then someone has to point to several semi-modulars that are much cheaper.
The Volca is quite a bit cheaper, but also smaller (fiddley)
Old 4 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
The TE modular does sounds a whole lot better than this and more alive and huge. Shame it is so simple but maybe a whole lot of better modules will come. Specifically the lpg's on this sound terrible to me.. like just really fast envelopes with none of the natural bounce and richness of other west coast stuff, it just sounds like a mono synth with a average at best wavefolder. Sorry to anyone excited by this, none of my opinion means you can't make great stuff, and the "reverb" thing I think sound good to me, I find that very interesting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If people can't talk honestly about gear, and decide if this gear works for them, then what is this forum for?

I was just trying to figure out how this would interact with gear I have, and other gear I intend on getting. The VM probably isn't for me, not because of sound (it sounds good), not because of design (it's a good design/concept), but because I'm already invested in other devices/systems that could do much of the same things without having to do some electrical engineering to make everything compatible. Ymmv, as they say.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Sheesh this little Volca sure can stir up some folks.

Who gives a toss if it doesn't offer much connectivity to your eurorag. At least you can feed voltage into it!
I don't think anyone has mentioned how fun this Volca will be for messing with some breadboard creations, remember what FUN is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
It really should have been called the Volca West

Or Volca West Coast

It is in the wrong subforum IMO. Any prebuilt self contained modular systems should be in the synth forum, all else here.
Quote:
Don't assume out of slight that this forum is some echo chamber where a bunch of "cable guys" are in some bubble deciding what's the right synth or opinion about a synth, and what is not.
That is INSULTING to the people that try to make this subforum a fun and inviting place, where ideas about ALL modular synthesis is welcome. Including the "semi-modulars" which are in a "grey area". It's not some subforum taking "possession" of some topic, "owning" some synthesizer and pulling it into their territory, where some "cable standard" is Holy Canon.

That is just UNTRUE and a complete misrepresentation of what the whole open and friendly spirit of modular, and this subforum is about. WTF
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
The Hz/V, V/octave was much like the Betamax/VHS battles of old.

The superior standard might have been the one to fail to garner support.
Or maybe not.....
Quote:
Yep. More stable tuning over a greater number of octaves.

The other big advantage of Hz/V is the math is easy to change octaves through simple voltage division/doubling.
Hz/v may have been the better standard and I am just bitter I can't patch my ms-20 with my moog/sequential/euro/etc... but also Korg has a history of this. The weird clocking system on the volcas that require a clock divider or the implementation of their TRS midi that was contrary to what everyone else was doing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Hz/v may have been the better standard and I am just bitter I can't patch my ms-20 with my moog/sequential/euro/etc...
Check out the Touell Skouarn Jedonian? (no I don't know how to pronounce most of their products either.)
TouellSkouarn Jedonian PDF
And there's the Harvestman/Industrial Music Electronics English Tear
http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/products/15

Quote:
but also Korg has a history of this. The weird clocking system on the volcas that require a clock divider or the implementation of their TRS midi that was contrary to what everyone else was doing.
I assumed it would work just fine with a 4MS RCD ??? I really want that Volca Drum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I assumed it would work just fine with a 4MS RCD ??? I really want that Volca Drum.
That should do it. The volcas send and receive every other clock to be in the same tempo. This is actually one of the easier issues to work around.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't assume out of slight that this forum is some echo chamber where a bunch of "cable guys" are in some bubble deciding what's the right synth or opinion about a synth, and what is not.
That is INSULTING to the people that try to make this subforum a fun and inviting place, where ideas about ALL modular synthesis is welcome. Including the "semi-modulars" which are in a "grey area". It's not some subforum taking "possession" of some topic, "owning" some synthesizer and pulling it into their territory, where some "cable standard" is Holy Canon.

That is just UNTRUE and a complete misrepresentation of what the whole open and friendly spirit of modular, and this subforum is about. WTF
I use Eurorack, spent too much money on Eurorack.

I just don't believe everything "modular" should be made with Eurorack in mind. Especially while Volca is really it's own format. They're all kind of semi modular appealing to tinkerers due to the multiple solder pads available.
Old 4 weeks ago
Sure, but mini-jack has become a bit of a synth standard, even going back to the 70’s, as has 1v8ve.
In the 90’s I had a synth set up with Arp, Roland and Doepfer all working together.
Companies can do what they like. I just don’t see many positives in making their product isolationist.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I use Eurorack, spent too much money on Eurorack.

I just don't believe everything "modular" should be made with Eurorack in mind. Especially while Volca is really it's own format. They're all kind of semi modular appealing to tinkerers due to the multiple solder pads available.
The point is that "modular" is an idea, not a brand on format, and that this forum is not about eurorack only or just for people with huge monster hardware systems.
This place is really open for any format. If it was not, that would be stupid.

With that out of the way. The strength of Dieter Doepfer's idea is that it's open for other manufacturers.
But.. There's already a bunch of modulars with these breadboard cables, so maybe this is a new parallel development to eurorack. You do want to connect it to other stuff, right?
Yeah Volca modding is cool. I really like that, about Korg. They nailed that part.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

One not oft spoken "feature" of the MS-20 is sans oscillators, the HP and LP filter in self-oscilation can be tuned V/octave.
PITA to get right, but doable.

I want the Korg Modular strickly as a modulator for the VCF on my Microbrutes
or my Monotribes.
woggle, woggle, woggle.

YouTube

Quote:
Hz/v may have been the better standard and I am just bitter I can't patch my ms-20 with my moog/sequential/euro/etc... but also Korg has a history of this. The weird clocking system on the volcas that require a clock divider or the implementation of their TRS midi that was contrary to what everyone else was doing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The point is that "modular" is an idea, not a brand on format, and that this forum is not about eurorack only or just for people with huge monster hardware systems.
This place is really open for any format. If it was not, that would be stupid.

With that out of the way. The strength of Dieter Doepfer's idea is that it's open for other manufacturers.
But.. There's already a bunch of modulars with these breadboard cables, so maybe this is a new parallel development to eurorack. You do want to connect it to other stuff, right?
Yeah Volca modding is cool. I really like that, about Korg. They nailed that part.
Of course.

I think it's to early to say it can't be integrated with eurorack, being able to clock it and control it via 3.5mm connections is certainly a start. But I do apologize if I came off dismissive with my original post.

Quote:
Sure, but mini-jack has become a bit of a synth standard, even going back to the 70’s, as has 1v8ve.
In the 90’s I had a synth set up with Arp, Roland and Doepfer all working together.
Companies can do what they like. I just don’t see many positives in making their product isolationist.
Sure, but I just don't see it as an isolationist product myself. It may be some third parties greatly increase the compatibility with Eurorack or there could be some options on the PCB ready to go.
Old 4 weeks ago
thanks man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
This person's videos have turned me onto this device!
That is pretty good. Sounds nice as well; better than I have heard thusfar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just said that because I thought it would be better placed with the "regular synths" so it did not get as much bashing from modular pros. I'm not a cable guy nor a hater, just here for the experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Korg Volca Modular-larry-cable-guy-491274-1-402.jpg   Korg Volca Modular-img_7968-1.jpg   Korg Volca Modular-a8e59638ea2c794d5c0e6ba2c398f86d.jpeg  
Old 4 weeks ago
1) It has not received much 'bashing'.
2) Sure, start a thread in the main 'electronic' forum because I think Volca Modular probably appeals more to musicians who do not already own a modular and/or don't look through the 'modular' sub forum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Like?

The smaller 9 module system including keyboard is £329. The keyboard/sequencer is £139.
Not as cheap as the Volca, but what else competes?
how about a second-hand Minibrute2 ? i've seen them around 400 bucks
Old 4 weeks ago
A second hand one on Ebay UK is £435. £100 more than the new TO 9 module system.
Bottom line, it IS very good value and only matched by the odd Behringer or Korg semi-modular.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Two more in his series....

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) It has not received much 'bashing'.
2) Sure, start a thread in the main 'electronic' forum because I think Volca Modular probably appeals more to musicians who do not already own a modular and/or don't look through the 'modular' sub forum.
I guess I am not most people then.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This video is dedicated to the step sequencer, can someone explain to me if finally this Volca has transpose function, because I think that it does this, but from this video this isn’t so clear to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post

This video is dedicated to the step sequencer, can someone explain to me if finally this Volca has transpose function, because I think that it does this, but from this video this isn’t so clear to me.
Function + Tonic then select note is the transpose. Seems kind of clunky...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search