The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Volca Modular
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Addict

With 741s are you using a dual or single power to the chips?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpugsley View Post
I finally completed and troubleshot (?) a circuit that takes the VMod Pitch Out and converts it to 1 V/Oct for other synths to use. My primary interest was to be able to use the VMod's sequencer (with 'Exotic' et.al. scales, Note Randomization, and Stochastic mode) to run other synths. Hard to find those features on other sequencers (cheaply). The circuit uses two 741 op amps; one to scale up by a factor of about 5x, and the other to DC offset down a few octaves. If interested, yell.
Old 18th August 2020
Here for the gear
My original mistake (which paused me for a few months), was using a single power supply. I finally read "...most op amps like a (dual?) power supply...".
So I am using a +/- 9V power supply, even though all the CVs I'm using are (theoretically) positive. I guess, even if I use a 'Non-Inverting Amplifier' circuit, internally the signal must need negative voltages.

Does that make sense?

Aside from a back-to-back pair of 9V batteries, my power supply is a pair of back-to-back DC wall warts (not too close to 9V). I use 3 conductor PWM cables (black/red/white(yellow)) for convenient power cables.

I think I have used a single PS with a 741, but probably had a voltage divider for the 'ground'. (Not sure if that's legal.)
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Nut

Just a question: Does anyone know, what exactly does the firmware update to version 0108 change (so far the latest one)?
Thank you for answering.
Enjoy your day!
rolf
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
Although I am holding onto my Korg Modular, I played with mine for a few months but found the duPont cables to be fiddly, as they are not meant for many insert-disconnect cycles.

I bought the midi in parts to mod, but the traces are micro small so I shelved the idea. The traces on the Monotribe are generous, by comparison.

Too low item to sell, so maybe some time in the future I will find a use for it!

Buying synths can sometimes be a hit-miss proposal.
I have seen many good YT uses for this box, but for the moment, it fell out of favour with me.
quoting you here for continuity - don't quite feel up to reading entire thread, or scouring YT right now. as you read, i'm not impressed with it at this point. even wondering if it is working properly > n00b - i got it 2nd hand (vgc, looks great, in box 'as new', even has orig. batteries)

i should be scouring the manual and example patches. (print too small.. have to download pdfs)

Last edited by ibtl; 2 weeks ago at 08:37 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
quoting you here for continuity - don't quite feel up to reading entire thread, or scouring YT right now. as you read, i'm not impressed with it at this point. even wondering if it is working properly > n00b - i got it 2nd hand (vgc, looks great, in box 'as new', even has orig. batteries)

i should be scouring the manual and example patches. (print too small.. have to download pdfs)
It does look nice and have left on shelf next to Waldorf 2 Pole and Vermona Retroverb. But unlike the latter items, the Volca Modular sits unplugged.

So as an art installation, the Korg Volca Modular is nice to have "hanging around"!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
art installation
(whinge suppressed :P)

Last edited by ibtl; 1 week ago at 07:02 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Volca Modular sits unplugged.
yeah so, i'm getting what you mean, about putting it away and hanging onto it. sort of wondering what it would be like plugged into something else, because it's quite limited really. lack of midi is a killer, don't know why they didn't include the optocoupler on those inputs. so far i've run off audio while tinkering with it. don't even know if this one fully works - what does LPG2 do? can you plug outputs into outputs? it sometimes does something like this. it IS very pretty, and cables do fall out. puzzling when you pull some out and the sound doesn't change... ?:-/ do i have time for this? it's triggering a latent fury/aversion about modular
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I think I found a use for it after all.
My Retroverb has a VCA on it so when I make sine wave sounds I can attenuate
the sounds through it AR envelope.

My 2 Pole does not have VCA but I might ignore the oscillator signal components of the Korg Modular and feed the signal from the 2 Pole direct to the Low Pass Gate and use my midi clock to trigger to gate the envelope of LPG.

Round about way, but now I have to make due with what I have.
Gear-sluttery funds have been cut to the bone!

(I hung up my Gearsluttery way in late 2018, my last new synth purchase)

Quote:
yeah so, i'm getting what you mean, about putting it away and hanging onto it. sort of wondering what it would be like plugged into something else, because it's quite limited really. lack of midi is a killer, don't know why they didn't include the optocoupler on those inputs. so far i've run off audio while tinkering with it. don't even know if this one fully works - what does LPG2 do? can you plug outputs into outputs? it sometimes does something like this. it IS very pretty, and cables do fall out. puzzling when you pull some out and the sound doesn't change... ?:-/ do i have time for this? it's triggering a latent fury/aversion about modular
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Here is the Waldorf 2 Pole routed through the Volca Modular as a VCA.

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is the Waldorf 2 Pole routed through the Volca Modular as a VCA.
nice. so the vMod is 'letting through' the signal from the other stuff ... ?

um.. aaah.. of course you know that as soon as (i) sell it, korg will bring out the other half as a different volca modular pt2, or something. i just find it too grating as it is. probably don't understand it, and should 'work' harder at it.

i'm not really of a mindset to try to make it work better, with other stuff (maybe). did think about pulling out signals from the pcb connections on other volcas eg: bass/keys - already have a piece of ribbon picking up all the wave outputs inside a Bass, thinking about attaching those to a piece of ribbon header, instead of having minijack outputs. the ribbon header presumably would take dupont cables? (2: do i *need* to sell it, other than for headspace? rid myself of underwhelm?) (name for a band/track?) (movie?)
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Yep and all I use is one Dupont connector.
The CV In on the VM can also be used as external input from other synths.

So the 2 Pole 1/4" signal OUT connector gets converted to 1/8" and goes into the
CV Input jack on the Modular.

The Top position on the CV area goes to the signal IN on
the first LPG via the one Dupont cable.

So now all the internal signals from the Modular are bypassed
and the LPG/VCA can control external inputs.

In order to synch the Modular's first EG, I take a trigger pulse from CV OCD,
which ensure the attenuation is done to the beat.

Quote:
nice. so the vMod is 'letting through' the signal from the other stuff ... ?

um.. aaah.. of course you know that as soon as (i) sell it, korg will bring out the other half as a different volca modular pt2, or something. i just find it too grating as it is. probably don't understand it, and should 'work' harder at it.

i'm not really of a mindset to try to make it work better, with other stuff (maybe). did think about pulling out signals from the pcb connections on other volcas eg: bass/keys - already have a piece of ribbon picking up all the wave outputs inside a Bass, thinking about attaching those to a piece of ribbon header, instead of having minijack outputs. the ribbon header presumably would take dupont cables? (2: do i *need* to sell it, other than for headspace? rid myself of underwhelm?) (name for a band/track?) (movie?)
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
I've been loosely following this thread, thinking I should contribute some ways that I find the VModular interesting.... (but I'm lazy). So interesting, I bought a 2nd one, which is tough for a tight budget...
One of the things I love is the sequencer: the unusual scales, especially the stochastic mode, and the usual (for Korg) Active Steps (LOVE those!, a swipe of the finger, and a new sequence, and back again!).
Too bad it didn't have MIDI out, but I breadboarded a Pitch CV scale and offset circuit, so I can use the sequencer to drive my other synths (Neutron, Crave, etc.)
The sound is unusual, and I like it, but I know what you mean about it being hard to get anything aside from a standard. Takes some getting used to....
📝 Reply