The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Volca Modular
Old 10th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Yes, the modulation capabilities....
Right now I am using the S&H out of a fullsized MS-20Kit to supply
my Dreadbox Abyss with S&H modulation. Not really a space saving solution.
As I don't really have room for the MS-20 in my lab, the Woggle and the fact
all this can be synched to a Volca is a tick for me on the plus side.

Also, the 1/8" synch cable supplies a ground for input and output.

As a bonus I can add in the modular sound into my board as well.

I won't know until they are in stock at Canadian stores...
Old 11th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Amazona.de review

Google Translate
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head

Interesting and helpful review here for waverers like me: Review: volca modular takes on creative synthesis in a small package - CDM Create Digital Music
Old 12th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 859c1b8 View Post
Yeah, I posted that one page back, nobody seemed to care. :(

Also, I wish mine would hurry up and get here, I have so many things I want to try with it! (including running it through my Buchla Music Easel.)
Old 12th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
My Bad! All I saw was the big comb at first! :>

This one is new....

I'm alway combing Youtube for new videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Yeah, I posted that one page back, nobody seemed to care. :(

Also, I wish mine would hurry up and get here, I have so many things I want to try with it! (including running it through my Buchla Music Easel.)
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Nut

Any actual shipping dates?

Last edited by vromber; 13th February 2019 at 12:27 AM..
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Addict

Korg Volca Modular

NanoSynth NS1

&

Kastle Bastl goes on a Acid Trip

Old 14th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8

Old 14th February 2019
Here for the gear

Just got mine a few days ago. . .

Valadon on Instagram: “Three’s company! #novationmonostation MIDI out to #makenoise0coast, both playing Mono’s sequence. 0-coast’s Contour EON to #volcamodular…”

Haven't had time to do a longer video with good audio. So far, I'm loving this thing. I'm driving the sequencer steps with the clock out of the o-coast, which is receiving MIDI from Mono Circuit.

I don't have a TRS cable to try the CV in and control the pitch (with a regular patch cable I only get gate), but I actually like just driving the internal sequences to play a different part. Just scratching the surface.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Head

(Translucent) red Microbrute for sale in SOS mag online - CV out to control a Volca modular - just saying
Synthesizer Keyboards | Sound On Sound
Old 15th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8

Old 15th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
2 Week ETA to Canada!
I am planning in my head what I can do with this.

pace....pace.......pace...
Old 15th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post

very cool!
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valadon View Post
Just got mine a few days ago. . .

Valadon on Instagram: “Three’s company! #novationmonostation MIDI out to #makenoise0coast, both playing Mono’s sequence. 0-coast’s Contour EON to #volcamodular…”

Haven't had time to do a longer video with good audio. So far, I'm loving this thing. I'm driving the sequencer steps with the clock out of the o-coast, which is receiving MIDI from Mono Circuit.

I don't have a TRS cable to try the CV in and control the pitch (with a regular patch cable I only get gate), but I actually like just driving the internal sequences to play a different part. Just scratching the surface.
Congrats on the V Modular.

I was wondering if you could say whether or not it's possible to get an external signal into the Volca Modular, either through the vca, lpg, or by any other means?
Furthermore, have you found if it's possible to patch the raw oscillators (post fm/wavefod) to external sources as well?

Can't wait to get mine. Really hoping I'll be able to break the box out and integrate its clock divider, oscillators, and lpg with the rest of my studio.
Old 15th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
Congrats on the V Modular.

I was wondering if you could say whether or not it's possible to get an external signal into the Volca Modular, either through the vca, lpg, or by any other means?
Furthermore, have you found if it's possible to patch the raw oscillators (post fm/wavefod) to external sources as well?

Can't wait to get mine. Really hoping I'll be able to break the box out and integrate its clock divider, oscillators, and lpg with the rest of my studio.
The CV IN is a stereo input that carries pitch and gate together (tip/sleeve). I tried it with a mono cable and was only getting gate, so I just ordered a cable with a stereo tip in one end, and a two breakout mono tips at the other end so I can get pitch and gate from external sources.

I don't see any options to patch anything OUT of the Volca, unless you had a mini plug to wire adaptor. . . which wouldn't be practical anyway. Those patch wires are VERY tinny and thin.

I know the Volca has a narrow purpose in life, but it would be really nice if it had more standard connections. I think it sounds really good.

Imagine if Korg would build a bigger semi-modular with standard connections and plenty of patch points, different types of synthesis and an expanded sequencer? Something to compete with 0-coast and Microvolt 3900. . . so much potential. People love Volcas but I see everybody jumping through hoops trying to integrate them with the rest of the world.
Old 15th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
If you are using the SYNC connection the ground is handled.
Technically, a dab of solder to one of these wires to an 1/8" jack would
be all you need.

As these are not shielded I would use the shortest possible cables.

Fortunately the noise of my Monotribes will mask this!

Quote:
The CV IN is a stereo input that carries pitch and gate together (tip/sleeve). I tried it with a mono cable and was only getting gate, so I just ordered a cable with a stereo tip in one end, and a two breakout mono tips at the other end so I can get pitch and gate from external sources.

I don't see any options to patch anything OUT of the Volca, unless you had a mini plug to wire adaptor. . . which wouldn't be practical anyway. Those patch wires are VERY tinny and thin.

I know the Volca has a narrow purpose in life, but it would be really nice if it had more standard connections. I think it sounds really good.

Imagine if Korg would build a bigger semi-modular with standard connections and plenty of patch points, different types of synthesis and an expanded sequencer? Something to compete with 0-coast and Microvolt 3900. . . so much potential. People love Volcas but I see everybody jumping through hoops trying to integrate them with the rest of the world.
Old 16th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Old 16th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Head

Odd to say but I have just had that as background music while doing other stuff on the computer. A very odd but pleasant experience.
Korg have created a very 70s Dr Who type synthesiser wth this for me.
I am still undecided as to whether it is right for me but that indecision doesn't stop me liking it and admiring Korg for their boldness.
Old 16th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Old 17th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8

Old 18th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Head

That's the best demo of the sound that I had heard this far. Sinister but musical
3 though! How lucky are you?
Old 18th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
My total Volca Modulars=0, as Canada seems to be on the slow boat
for getting these.

But 3 seems quite lucky for the person who has these.

I was thinking 2, but in in reality I should get 1 new
and then wait on kijiji for the first waves of sales.

I need to see a video of this being controlled via CV
and see if the CV does track the keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar. View Post
That's the best demo of the sound that I had heard this far. Sinister but musical
3 though! How lucky are you?
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Head

Hi Zaphod, agree re tracking via CV. Thus far everyone seems to be relying on the box itself, which is good but...
Old 20th February 2019
Here for the gear

So I got my stereo patch cable in the CN IN of the Volca, connected to the CV and gate output of my Circuit Mono Station.

From the CV IN slots in the Volca I got one wire going to the Function/Attack (gate) and one to the Source in (pitch).

I'm getting pitch and gate tracking perfectly but both devices are not in tune with each other!

When I play a C on the Mono Station, the Volca is playing an E. Because I'm using the CV out of the Mono, there is no way to correct the offset. If I tuned the oscillator in the Mono, the interval carries to Volca, and Volca doesn't have oscillator tuning, right? It has micro tuning but for the notes of the sequences.

If I play a sequence from Mono Station, the Volca plays is just fine, but again, it plays it three whole notes higher.

Any suggestions?
Old 20th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 859c1b8 View Post
That's amazing. Love how it can sound like a clarinet or woodwind instrument -- I happily discovered that the other day...
Old 20th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
Try this:
CV to Tip as usual from Mono Station.

To Ring (CV offset) you will have to jury rig
a voltage source and a linear pot for tuning.

As I do not have a modular yet, I can't fab it up.

from the manual
whereas the right
channel (ring) of the input expects a 1V/octave signal (0–+6V) and
converts it to the volca modular’s internal pitch offset voltage control
signal. Connecting a 3.5mm mono patch cable to this jack will result in
the same signal being applied to the CV and Pitch Offset inputs.

As this CV is 0 to 6V, I wonder how the hoof you can tune it down.

Wonder what would happen with a negative voltage to Ring?

EDIT: When I get mine at the end of the month I will feed it negative voltage.
I have hacked my Monotribes and not blown out any of the 6 with CVs beyond Vcc.

Quote:
So I got my stereo patch cable in the CN IN of the Volca, connected to the CV and gate output of my Circuit Mono Station.

From the CV IN slots in the Volca I got one wire going to the Function/Attack (gate) and one to the Source in (pitch).

I'm getting pitch and gate tracking perfectly but both devices are not in tune with each other!

When I play a C on the Mono Station, the Volca is playing an E. Because I'm using the CV out of the Mono, there is no way to correct the offset. If I tuned the oscillator in the Mono, the interval carries to Volca, and Volca doesn't have oscillator tuning, right? It has micro tuning but for the notes of the sequences.

If I play a sequence from Mono Station, the Volca plays is just fine, but again, it plays it three whole notes higher.

Any suggestions?
Old 21st February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search