The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Got a Korg MS 20 Mini...where to learn about modular part? Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Got a Korg MS 20 Mini...where to learn about modular part?

OK, I've got a new MS-20 Mini sequenced by a SQ-1, but I want to dive into the modular part of the Korg. Manual: Nothing. Internet: Nothing. Maybe I didnt look in the right places, but I really cant find anything at all on this. I want to know everything about this because I know there is a world of possibilities out there.
Anyone can guide me here to the right sources?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoking View Post
OK, I've got a new MS-20 Mini sequenced by a SQ-1, but I want to dive into the modular part of the Korg. Manual: Nothing. Internet: Nothing. Maybe I didnt look in the right places, but I really cant find anything at all on this. I want to know everything about this because I know there is a world of possibilities out there.
Anyone can guide me here to the right sources?
dead easy mate

look to the right hand side of the synth, it is hard to miss and the is all you need.

experiment , seriously don't be afraid just get to it

joking aside, youtube has lots of people with ms20 showing patches, @Goldenbeers did a full book on how to program percussion and drum - see wave alchemy site and find synth drums ms20

just google
Old 1 week ago
If you want to actually learn what everything does instead of just messing around, these videos are pretty good:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just experiment. Patch an output to an input and see what happens. That's how you learn with modular gear. You won't break anything.

Some of the stuff is stupid easy. The wheel, push button and sample and hold are connected to nothing at all until you patch them in, so if you want to do pitch bends, patch the wheel to the oscillators and so forth. A lot of the patchbay allows things that hardwired switches just have switches and knobs for. For example, to use the pulse LFO shapes you have to patch them to whatever you want them to modulate (the hardwired LFO shape is the saw/triangle/ramp one).

The one section that can be hard to understand is the ESP, which lets you use audio to control/modulate the synth. It's also for me the most interesting part of the MS20.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

yeah definitely marc doty's videos. i used them to learn the iMS-20 app...which led me to hardware synths...which led to a lifelong passion for synths (fixed, semi-modular, and modular)

he's great
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It looks like u have been given some resources.
I would add that if u know about synthesis in general u can apply that knowledge to patching the MS-20.
Old 1 week ago
< Moderator message - I'm moving this thread. @neoking in the "Thread Picks" link on top of the forum you'll find a few links. And do a search. It's quite a popular synth. >
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Downloads | MS-20 mini - MS-20 Patch Book | KORG (USA)
News | MS20 Patch Book - A collection of new sounds to program on the MS20 | KORG (USA) (really useful - it was great to see the simple patch for "Flat Beat")
20Patch - Online MS patch librarian

It is worth noting that the MS-20 patch bay isn't nearly as powerful as it looks. You don't have access to a lot of things you would want for a true modular synth:

- VCO outputs for VCO1/2
- separate inputs for VCO 1/2 CV (there is a VCO2 CV In, but it disconnects the keyboard voltage)
- mults
- mixers (in order to sum the keyboard voltages with other control voltages)
- attenuators (there is a VCA, but having several attenuators is useful in a modular synth)

The Moog Grandmother is an example of a modern semi-normalized modular synth, that has all of the above. It makes it much easier to use as a normalized synth. For that matter, the Korg ARP Odyssey reissue has a sound architecture that can be far more powerful than the MS-20 with regards to routing modulation signals all over the place, and does it with sliders and switches.

Don't get me wrong. I love the MS20. I have both an MS20 Mini and the full sized MS20 kit. The dual filters on the MS20, the use of the External Signal Processor as a distortion/shaping device, and the overall nonlinearity of the MS20 sound engine, make it a far more powerful synth than the limitations of the patchbay would suggest. However, I do get frustrated with the patch bay from time to time.

At some point, I might try modding the MS20, to add a lot of the features that are missing:

YewTreeMagic ~ MS-20 Retro Expansion

I'd try this on the MS-20 Mini first. My MS20 Mini has a slight bug (no sawtooth on VCO2) that needs to be repaired anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
If you want to actually learn what everything does instead of just messing around, these videos are pretty good:

Thanks! This video is exactly the kind of video Im looking for
Also big thanks for the other reactions! This will help me find my way for sure to get to know this amazing synth inside out!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
dead easy mate
@Goldenbeers did a full book on how to program percussion and drum - see wave alchemy site and find synth drums ms20

Those golden beers videos really helped me get my head around the ms-20. Specifically working around some of its quirks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search