The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ornament and Crime
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Ornament and Crime

This module is recommended very often. I am considering to get one instead of buying a Turing Machine.

GS search shows no dedicated thread for it, and i have trouble finding a general overview on the interwebs.

I know there are different modes and several channels. Several OS as well?

Can modes mixed and matched? Like TM and quantizer together?
Old 6th November 2018
Before I bought mine I watched several O&C tutorials on Youtube. I think a channel called 'Learning Modular' has some excellent ones?

No, it's one function at a time. Of course you can own more than one O&C.
Let's keep it simple.....
O&C is basically a DIY module with open source code. I'm not a builder, but you can find reputable builders with a long list of customer reviews to check their credentials from. Or buy a second hand O&C.
The standard O&C operating system is well documented online on their official webpage. It has a very good manual explaining all the programs in detail. Can't remember the address, 'google' Ornament & Crime modular, or Eurorack.

There is more than enough in the standard OS for me. I've mostly used the basic sequencer (Sequins) and the quantiser so far.

Now to the variables......
Someone has developed a smaller version of the module, like the uBraids.
So you can buy two versions, full size and micro size.
Next.....
Someone has developed an alternative operating system. I find the original so useful and bomb proof I have no intention of exploring the alternative.
But you have the option to load the alternative on to your O&C, or flip flop between them. Just look and see which firmware offers you the most useful functions.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
This module is recommended very often. I am considering to get one instead of buying a Turing Machine.

GS search shows no dedicated thread for it, and i have trouble finding a general overview on the interwebs.

I know there are different modes and several channels. Several OS as well?

Can modes mixed and matched? Like TM and quantizer together?
ornament & crime
If you visit that page look under "Firmware", there you will find descriptions of all the apps.

At the moment there are two firmwares. The "standard" one and then there's the Hemisphere Suite.
If you buy an o_c you will very likely get the standard firmware which offers serveral applications which you can think of independent modules.

If you want Hemisphere you have to install that yourself which overwrites the standard firmware. So you can't use both on one module.

With the standard firmware you can just load one app at a time. With Hemisphere, which offers different apps, you can load two at a time (split screen so to speak).

Most apps of the standard firmware offer a versatile set of functions. E.g. Piqued is 4 envelope generators but it can be an euclidian sequencer too/additional.
Quantermain is a quantizer app which lets you deceide if it should sample from CV or from an internal source which can be for instance a Turing Machine - maybe that answers your question.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Excelent info. Thanks guys. Its beyond me how i overlooked the manual in the firmware section of the website.

There are micro_C available. I find to work with my micro_braids quite tedious to be honest. Mainly due to the small knobs.

Would you recommend full size versions for certain apps? I consider to get 2, so space is a concern.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have the micro o_c (8hp) which I am fine with, no problem at all regarding its size. The display is the same size on all different version, so are the knobs and encoders, I believe.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Beige Maze
- YouTube

Here you can watch some videos showing the Hemisphere firmware.

I am actually thinking of getting a second uo_c and install Hemisphere on it in addition to my first o_c with the standard firmware.
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Quantermain mode can be used as four Turing Machines, and you don't need a quantizer.
Old 6th November 2018
It wasn't 'Learning Modular' on Youtube, it was Voltage Control Lab - my bad.
They have a series of O&C videos that completely demystified it for me. Excellent videos:
Old 7th November 2018
I got one (traded for an Ardcore and Seq Switch) but I have to build it. Thanks for the infos.
Old 7th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
(traded for an Ardcore)
How did you like it? That's one that pops up on occasion that catches my attention. I love reprogrammable modules in theory, but as shown with my Equation Composer, I never actually get around to learning how to do anything with it.
Old 7th November 2018
Changing firmware terrifies me.
If I have a module working, with firmware that I use, I tend to just leave it that way. For example, if I was interested in the Hemisphere version, I would buy a second O&C.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Changing firmware terrifies me.
If I have a module working, with firmware that I use, I tend to just leave it that way. For example, if I was interested in the Hemisphere version, I would buy a second O&C.
I absolutely concur with this. There are instances where alternate firmware works without a hitch (Parasites for Clouds for instance), but then there are ones that make the module tougher to use or more cryptic, even if the module was already tricky to work in the place. (I'm looking square at Dead Man's Catch for this one.) I used to be gungho about trading out firmware, but some of them just mode the module too cumbersome to use without constantly referring to a manual. Now my Clouds is the only thing that I have an alternate firmware on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
How did you like it? That's one that pops up on occasion that catches my attention. I love reprogrammable modules in theory, but as shown with my Equation Composer, I never actually get around to learning how to do anything with it.
I don't know, sorry. A friend passed by and we swapped kits. (I had 2 Ardcores and 2 seq. switches so it made sense). I have to drill a few holes in a panel too but that's not an issue either.
With some work coming my way, I'll have some parts soon so then the soldering can begin. I'll start a thread, and post what I found when it's time. Probably be next year.
Old 8th November 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I absolutely concur with this. There are instances where alternate firmware works without a hitch (Parasites for Clouds for instance), but then there are ones that make the module tougher to use or more cryptic, even if the module was already tricky to work in the place. (I'm looking square at Dead Man's Catch for this one.) I used to be gungho about trading out firmware, but some of them just mode the module too cumbersome to use without constantly referring to a manual. Now my Clouds is the only thing that I have an alternate firmware on.
Once I installed Warps Parasites I could’t imagine going back to the original. It’s too good.
Old 8th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Once I installed Warps Parasites I could’t imagine going back to the original. It’s too good.
Oh yeah... you know that one works so smoothly, I actually forgot that it was Parasites until you reminded me.
Old 8th November 2018
I have Marbles. Phantastic module!
I sold O&C I regret it and will buy it again somewhere next year.
Looking forward to this combo.
📝 Reply