The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
XOR Electronics NerdSEQ - Video Review Walkthrough Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

XOR Electronics NerdSEQ - Video Review Walkthrough

Hi,
I have uploaded Part 1 of my hands on review/walkthrough of the XOR Electronics NerdSEQ. I am sure you all know it's a 'Tracker' based sequencer which ads 4 sample playback sequencing lines to 6 modular tracks (Trig/Gate and 2 CVs per track)... plus expansion modules.

In Part 1 I try to give an overview of the NerdSEQ going over most features, some with detail... I also cover navigation and then focus on the main Sequencer Screen where you can build your tracks, multi track clips, etc.. editing
I also describe all the Patch Voices used in the video, some voice parameters controlled by NerdSeq internal LFO or per-step MOD output (CV 2)

A few weeks ago I also posted this track which is was I build after switching the NerdSEQ on for the first time... built a simple track to start learning it.

I hope you find these useful!
Thanks for checking them out
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Nut
I look forward to watching it. I cant believe its taken this long to get a decent review video going!
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstirlitz View Post
I look forward to watching it. I cant believe its taken this long to get a decent review video going!
Hi,
I hope you will find the video useful.

Shooting of part 2 should start soon, had to reorganise files, back up stuff, add some HD space (disks full )... almost done with sorting space out.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Nut
Nice work. It took me three sessions to get through the video, but it was comprehensive, and I even learnt a couple of new things! Well done. I hope others enjoyed it, as there are few videos out there on the Nerdseq.

The things I would really like to see are more details on cv recording, midi recording, fx and modulation, if its of any use to you.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstirlitz View Post
Nice work. It took me three sessions to get through the video, but it was comprehensive, and I even learnt a couple of new things! Well done. I hope others enjoyed it, as there are few videos out there on the Nerdseq.

The things I would really like to see are more details on cv recording, midi recording, fx and modulation, if its of any use to you.
Thank you. The next video will cover all the Pattern screen features including FXs, patch, tables, etc....

Recording and midi will have to be on another video but it will come
Thanks for watching
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Addict

@Hokut, Eloquencer or Nerdsequencer?
Two different beasts I know...but still 2 sequencers.
Never thought I would like the Nerdsequencer (That screen OMG!), but I do like it a lot. Your vids helped a lot .
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
@Hokut, Eloquencer or Nerdsequencer?
Two different beasts I know...but still 2 sequencers.
Never thought I would like the Nerdsequencer (That screen OMG!), but I do like it a lot. Your vids helped a lot .
Hi,
I am running a bit late with the follow-up video (temporary health/other issues, nothing too bad, just show stoppers) which may help more with better identifying differences between the two sequencers.
Next video covers pattern creation, per step parameters, groove, tables, etc...

It's hard to just 'say' which sequencer because as you mentioned they are different, so one can be a better fit for this or that specific user.

I need to collect overall thoughts over the sequencers I covered in the videos, then maybe make a sort of comparison summary video which will help me pinning down key differences and possibly help others.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Hi,
PART 2 is up and it starts digging deeper into the Pattern Screen and Features, specifically
Pattern Screen GUI Elements
The Note Column (CV1) with AutoGate On/Off related function
Tables! (a 16 step mini sequencer you can have 'per step')

I hope you find it useful, happy viewing
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Hi,
Part 3 is up, this time I look at Triggers (Triggers, Delayed Triggers, Trigger Repeats, etc... AutoGate)
Special parameters like FE, FD (Toggle), KILL parameters, etc...

CLICKABLE INDEX in the Video Description under the video

XOR Electronics NerdSeq - PART 3 - INDEX:

00:00 AutoGate On/Off & Gate Off
01:32 Triggers and Trigger Length
03:15 Trigger Value ’00’ and ‘KILL 000’
6:01 Inverted Triggers (Delayed Triggers)
08:06 Trigger Repeats
12:38 Trigger FE and FD
14:11 KILL ‘parameters’
15:24 Auto Gates & Triggers quick recap
16:39 Auto Fill In Triggers
17:21 End of Section and more…
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Hi,
XOR Electronics NerdSeq Video Review and Demo PART 4 is up. Looking at:
- the MOD CV Output (2nd CV Out per track) and sequencing column.
- start covering some of the FXs. Effects per track and per step.
YouTube

XOR Electronics NerdSeq - PART 4 - INDEX:

00:00 MOD column and Mod(n) output per track.
Voltage Range, Voltage Offset Switches.
Screen values and using Note Names in the MOD Column for Pitch Control.

03:17 MOD1 CV output from a sequence. Mod 1 Output controlling Resonance on the AJH Synth GEMINI 2412 eurorack filter module.

05:16 MOD 1 CV Output from a sequence. Mod 1 CV Output controlling different parameters (CV Inputs) on the Gemini 2412. (Pitch CV, Freq, Reso...)

06:41 Using both CV outputs of just 'one' NerdSeq Track, CV1 and MOD1 outputs, to control the pitch of 'two' different VCOs (Erica Synths Pico VCO and Pico Voice) - Making it easy to create two voices intervals.

08:05 We start looking at the FXs, Effects available on XOR Electronics NerdSeq Modular Sequencer Tracks.

10:21 Pitch FX

12:19 Glide FX

13:35 Glide Stepped Changes FX

15:52 MOD FX (example modulating the pitch of a note during that voice 'Release' time)

17:38 Glide Modulation FX & Glide Modulation Stepped Changes.
Applying glide to MOD FXs!

20:31 Trigger FX (please refer to Video Review PART 3 video in this NerdSeq Series for more details and examples of NerdSeq Trigger Features)

21:09 CV1-6, MOD 1-6, Trigger 1-6:
Controlling CV, Triggers and Modulation values of any of the 6 Modular Tracks from any one specific track. E.g. Controlling Modulation Output of Track 3 from sequence-steps in Track 1!

26:26 Probability FX CVs

29:58 Probability FX Triggers (Also changing voice pitch without retriggering Envelope-Attack for that voice)

33:36 about the other types of Probability FXs (ProbMod, ProbTables, ProbFX1...2...3..4)

35:45 End of Section and more to come…
Thank You!
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing these. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I'm going to get one, and this adds to the mental warfare.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thanks for sharing these. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I'm going to get one, and this adds to the mental warfare.
yes, I tend to do a lot of back and forth like that, the higher the price tag and HP size of the module, the more back and forth there will be for me
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

XOR Electronics NerdSeq eurorack sequencer review

XOR Electronics NerdSeq eurorack sequencer review Part 5 is up.
Time to go through some more of the FXs, Using per-step FXs to control automator (in this case, LFO) parameters... per-step BPM changes, RNDM jumping and more...

yes there will be a Part 6!

XOR Electronics NerdSeq - PART 5 - INDEX:

00:00 Introduction to the ASLx FX which allows us to control Automator (e.g. LFO) parameters ‘per step

1:07 Description of the simple patch used, without FXs, before we start applying FXs

2:34 A recap of the Automator menu and specifically the LFO and LFO’s Parameters

5:51 Adding the FX: ASLn to Pattern-Steps. We can start and stop the LFO ‘per step’ and use the ASLn FX to control a bunch of other Automator (LFO) parameters ‘per step’ - e.g. LFO Shape, LFO Speed, LFO Shape, LFO Phase, etc…

11:36 RNDM FX (Randomize the parameter of the next FX)

15:30 SPFX (a set of Special FXs) - With these you can activate specific commands on any Pattern-Step, e.g. Stop Track at End of Pattern, Stop Track Now, Stop Song Now…
Also,
- a quick summary of available Clock/Reset ‘output’ commands
a quick summary of FX ‘Reset’ commands

20:22 SPFX RANDOM JUMP (Jump to another step within that current pattern)
22:50 - A suggestion about the RANDOM JUMP functionality

24:32 - Just a mention of ReSync FXs commands

24:53 BPM FX - Ability to change project BPM ‘per step!’

27:51 BASE FX. Controlling pattern’s pitch transposition ‘per step’

29:51 End of Section and more…
Thank You!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just now catching onto this module... and it seems pretty amazing. Kudos. Hope I can try it in the near future!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search