The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which modules to build the ultimate digital synth engine? Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd September 2018
DSC
Gear Nut

+1 for the 4VOX. You can go up to 16 Oscillators too. Midi in makes it quick to use, if you must be in tune, which is the way I used to use it. Now I actually want a little drift so I have it hooked up to the Koma for a little extra wave morph modulation.

Old 25th September 2018
Gear Maniac
one module to rule them all :

Percussa SSP

wavetable, grain, sampler, LFO, step sequencer, you can even load up your own VST (compiled for ARM...)

all these modules can run multiple instances (of themselves) too
16in, 8 out @ 192Khz (max), 32bit

Percussa Super Signal Processor (SSP) Eurorack Module
Old 25th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post

Percussa SSP

wavetable, grain, sampler, LFO, step sequencer, you can even load up your own VST (compiled for ARM...)

It’s Yuuuuuuuuuuuge. No wai.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
It’s Yuuuuuuuuuuuge. No wai.
In eurorack terms yes, but in the end it is small for what it does
Old 25th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
In eurorack terms yes, but in the end it is small for what it does
At first I agreed with you until I saw the price. Don't get me wrong, it totally fits the bill for this thread, but that's just too much money for one module.
Old 26th September 2018
DSC
Gear Nut

Yep, I agree, when you can buy two full PC computers for the price of one module, that's too much for me.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
At first I agreed with you until I saw the price. Don't get me wrong, it totally fits the bill for this thread, but that's just too much money for one module.
I could buy 2 x ER-301's and have $400 left over for other stuff for that much. Plus, the ER-301 does everything the SSP does (from the product description) and more.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

I can't put it into words well.. but there's something out the SSP that I really dislike, and it's not so much the price. Something about jamming that much computer into a module... it's just not why I'm into this. I have a computer, and know what it can do. Put a bunch of CV i/o into your DAW if you want EVERYTHING under the hood.

Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

.... not to mention. Only allows for -5v to +5v? Lame. Should allow for -10v to +10v with some digital control to adjust to +/-8v and +/-5v. There are too many modulators that exceed it's input range. Maths. Quadra. etc.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

It's too much. It's like someone crammed a small laptop into a euro format.

I don't want little computers with CV patch points masquerading as modules.

May as well get a PC and an Expert Sleepers rig, if you're gonna go that far.

I dunno. Not my style, that's for sure.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

The best way to describe the UI of the ER-301 is that if E-mu or Akai had hired a UX expert to work on their last generation of flagship samplers. Just enough info to get things done in a common, sensible, and consistent layout. Working with samples got a little, page heavy in 3.x, but muscle memory kicks in really quickly. Haven't tried 4.x yet, but from what I've seen, complex, multi-level patches and CV inputs are much easier to navigate and work with.
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post

Percussa SSP

That's really impressive and I love that it has an SDK too. But yeah I have to agree with others about the price. For my needs its overkill X 10.

Still though it is an exciting project in and of itself.
Old 28th September 2018
DSC
Gear Nut

Yes it really is exciting and I have a feeling if they continue its development they might find new and very useful functions and designs. Maybe so much they might make a smaller more compact version. Maybe something along the lines of a E352 style format. That along with a lower price and I am definitely interested!
Old 1 week ago
This project idea has cycled back to the top of the stack again and I'm revisiting it with more specifics in mind as well as some conceptual visions.

Ideally I'm shooting for a 4 voice poly system which can be patched to play as a complete integrated synth. Obviously it can be patched into many other configurations. Focus is intent on very interesting digital oscillators with an analog subtractive signal path.

In visualizing this system I am taking into account my preexisting and DIY components to expand the capabilities of the core synth engine.

Here's the core engine concept so far.

Frankentron III - Eurorack Modular System from dominus13 on ModularGrid
Each of 4 voices is comprised of an Assimil8tor voice, a Morphing VCO voice and analog VCO (DIY - not shown) voice which are combined into the Roland 521 VCF inputs. This makes each voice a hybrid of samples, digital morphing FM or wavetable and analog. Remaining 4 Assimil8tor voices are to be used for CV recording/playback.
This core system is fairly bare bones. However, it is expanded by the following preexisting and DIY functionality.

Preexisting:
Gotharman PolySpaze - 4 voices of samples + digital waves with assignable CV outputs which can carry signals of any internal modulator, oscillator or sequencer tracks (8). Plus a stereo input for processing external sources through its 8 VCF's.

Beatstep Pro - 2 step sequencers with CV/Gate outputs. Midi to CV.

Oberheim TVP - Two patchable voices, 2 LFO's, 4 ENV's, 2 random, 2 step sequencer tracks and Midi to CV.

DIY:

6 analog VCO's which may be patched individually or controlled as 3 osc duo phonic voices.

8X2 attenuverting inputs 3 bus mixer with logic switched buses.

3 Ringmods

1 Noise Source with white noise and digitized white noise.

1 Morphing Controller: essentially a DIY version of the Doepfer A-144 modified with LEDs for each of the 4 outputs Doepfer A-144 - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

1 VCLFO with 4 simultaneous waveshape outputs.

1 triple wavefolder/distortion.

The above DIY stuff is to be contained into a separate housing with it's own power supply. The housing will include mults and flexible I/O. It can be used as a self-contained stand-alone system to some extant. The idea is that it can provide expansion capability to the Oberheim TVP or any fixed architecture synths that have external signal input processing capability thus providing 6 VCO's to supplement any existing in the host system.
The DIY stuff currently consists of several built and tested PCB's waiting to be stuffed into a cabinet. And I just found the ideal cabinet too.

Like the 2 modular systems I built from scratch in the past this system will carry the same name, Frankentron. The name still applies since there will be significant DIY work involved.

Anyone wish to provide any insights or suggestions into Frankentron III?
Preferably before I spend lots of money on it

Economics places the start of this project around tax return season
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Anyone wish to provide any insights or suggestions into Frankentron III?
I think it's a bad idea. Polyphony is something people have been asking for before approaching modular, but I don't know of anyone that's accomplished it. The reason isn't because it's impossible, it's just that once you start building a voice, you start realizing that polyphony is rather impractical. If you're going to go through with this, I suggest instead of getting matching modules, build a voice at a time. Once you have that first complete voice, I think you'll have a different opinion on the whole venture.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think it's a bad idea. Polyphony is something people have been asking for before approaching modular, but I don't know of anyone that's accomplished it. The reason isn't because it's impossible, it's just that once you start building a voice, you start realizing that polyphony is rather impractical. If you're going to go through with this, I suggest instead of getting matching modules, build a voice at a time. Once you have that first complete voice, I think you'll have a different opinion on the whole venture.
I’m failing to see how buying one of everything 4 times over is a better plan.

Building a single voice isn’t going to tell me much about how well the voice will work out polyphonically.

Growing the thing organically over time isn’t the plan. The core 4 voices are only a part of a bigger picture.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m failing to see how buying one of everything 4 times over is a better plan.

Building a single voice isn’t going to tell me much about how well the voice will work out polyphonically.
I think once you start building and really getting in deep with building patches, you'll start to see what's possible with eurocrack, and realize polyphony is for the keyboard jockeys.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not sure if this is a blue sky discussion, but before I'd buy any hw modules I would prototype it with vcv. For digital building of waveforms I prefer doing things with resonating filters and resonators, so I link mutable instruments rings and elements. [for pure analog I like to build with just the basic modules, so I do things totally differently euro vs 5u]
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think once you start building and really getting in deep with building patches, you'll start to see what's possible with eurocrack, and realize polyphony is for the keyboard jockeys.
Seems you’re forgetting the part where I built entire DIY modular systems by hand and from scratch from 97-03 and participated in the synth-DIY mailing list from 99 until 2010. And performed live with only DIY modulars for 4 years in NYC.

But I’ll just take your advice and not bother with trying to realize ideas I’ve had for the past 20 years.

Thanks, you’re a big help.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Since you’re talking about a 4 voice digital poly setup in euro, have you considered the Orthogonal Devices ER-301 instead of the Assimil8or? Similar price and HP, but you could roll your own poly and save it for easy recall, and still have plenty of options to play with with the rest of the outs on the 301, which could cut down on some of the other modules in your plans and free that space for other things.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Since you’re talking about a 4 voice digital poly setup in euro, have you considered the Orthogonal Devices ER-301 instead of the Assimil8or? Similar price and HP, but you could roll your own poly and save it for easy recall, and still have plenty of options to play with with the rest of the outs on the 301, which could cut down on some of the other modules in your plans and free that space for other things.
If you're really after a poly, I have to agree on the ER-301.

A pretty medicore generate patch, but here's the ER-301 doing both the polyphonic piano samples and the choir chords using samples from the old E-mu sample library. I don't remember the full details on this patch, but it may also be doing the drum loop buried really down in the mix under the other percussion.

On the exact opposite side though, here's Plaits doing chords (and for @Derp it's also me "playing" Marbles, letting it loop until I freeze it on a pattern, letting it shift slightly for 16 bars or so till I start searching for another) ...

... depends on what you define as "poly".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, you’re a big help.
No problem. That's what we're here for.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search