The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sherman FB2 750€ or fill a rack? Modular Synthesizers
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Sherman FB2 750€ or fill a rack?

Hi! Im looking for recomendations in the 500 fx world vs Sherman Filterbank!

Im new to the 500 series, though I do have a couple of mix saturators that I will buy a rack for very soon. For a budget at about 750€/800$ and wanting to do more or less exaxtly what the Sherman Filterbank 2 slim does for 750€, could you build something even better sounding and/or even cooler functions within the same price range with 500 racks? Envelopes, lfo, am, fm, 2 great filters, great distortion, noise generator, cv triggers, with lots of modular posibilities routing the signal within itself.

Also, would it be risky to get the Sherman secondhand? I saw some youtube vid about a guy needing to replace the filters after 10 years. If thats something to expect, id rather get a new one, as im lazy to fix broken things especially if it can happen for me in a short amount of time, after being used for years by the previous owner. :P

Also want to add that im interested in 500 series mainly for mixing, and less so for modular patching. I prefer all in one synths with mod matrixes, and rather run it through some standard hardware mixing gear (like analog comps, eqs, saturators etc) for some analog mojo. Though seing that the Sherman is a bit patchy, I guess I could use a full modular 500 rack for just this task if it would be set and forget for the most part, and just 1 or two patches to flip things slightly arround. Im not big on spaghetti cabling, so im fully aware that I might even be posting at the wrong forum section here, but I figured some of you might have had the Sherman and might enlighten me of my question regarding getting the posibillity of building a 1 rack 500 series system that could be even better, for the same money..?
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
Hi! Im looking for recomendations in the 500 fx world vs Sherman Filterbank!

Im new to the 500 series, though I do have a couple of mix saturators that I will buy a rack for very soon. For a budget at about 750€/800$ and wanting to do more or less exaxtly what the Sherman Filterbank 2 slim does for 750€, could you build something even better sounding and/or even cooler functions within the same price range with 500 racks? Envelopes, lfo, am, fm, 2 great filters, great distortion, noise generator, cv triggers, with lots of modular posibilities routing the signal within itself.

Also, would it be risky to get the Sherman secondhand? I saw some youtube vid about a guy needing to replace the filters after 10 years. If thats something to expect, id rather get a new one, as im lazy to fix broken things especially if it can happen for me in a short amount of time, after being used for years by the previous owner. :P

Also want to add that im interested in 500 series mainly for mixing, and less so for modular patching. I prefer all in one synths with mod matrixes, and rather run it through some standard hardware mixing gear (like analog comps, eqs, saturators etc) for some analog mojo. Though seing that the Sherman is a bit patchy, I guess I could use a full modular 500 rack for just this task if it would be set and forget for the most part, and just 1 or two patches to flip things slightly arround. Im not big on spaghetti cabling, so im fully aware that I might even be posting at the wrong forum section here, but I figured some of you might have had the Sherman and might enlighten me of my question regarding getting the posibillity of building a 1 rack 500 series system that could be even better, for the same money..?
Other than the 3U height, 500 series is unrelated to eurorack modular. 500 series stuff tends more to regular studio tools - preamps, eqs, compressors etc and the format also includes an audio path in the rack. Eurorack is more about actual synthesis itself, but also has a lot of tools for manipulating control voltage (aka CV which is how the modules "communicate") and sequencers etc. Although there is the odd filter in 500 series and the odd compressor in eurorack, there is not much overlap, and while you can chain audio through 500 series, modules don't really affect or influence each other and are essentially stand-alone, eurorack is about the interaction... cf CV. (edit: somehow deleted the bit that mentioned that despite the height, power and connections are different - ie they can't share a rack)

You cannot build a Sherman in 500 series.

You might be able to build something in the vague ballpark of a Sherman with eurorack, but think you are going to struggle to do so for 750euro.
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Other than the 3U height, 500 series is unrelated to eurorack modular. 500 series stuff tends more to regular studio tools - preamps, eqs, compressors etc and the format also includes an audio path in the rack. Eurorack is more about actual synthesis itself, but also has a lot of tools for manipulating control voltage (aka CV which is how the modules "communicate") and sequencers etc. Although there is the odd filter in 500 series and the odd compressor in eurorack, there is not much overlap, and while you can chain audio through 500 series, modules don't really affect or influence each other and are essentially stand-alone, eurorack is about the interaction... cf CV. (edit: somehow deleted the bit that mentioned that despite the height, power and connections are different - ie they can't share a rack)

You cannot build a Sherman in 500 series.

You might be able to build something in the vague ballpark of a Sherman with eurorack, but think you are going to struggle to do so for 750euro.
Aha! I didnt even know there was a difference! This cleard up a lot!

And thanks for price estimating a Sherman built from eurorack. Its what I thought I guess.. So a real Sherman it is then.
Old 15th August 2018
You should post in the audio sections of the forum - 'So Much gear' etc....
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Intellijel Korgasmatron and WMD Micro Hadron Collider

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search