The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Racking stuff into eurorack Desktop Synthesizers
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Racking stuff into eurorack

I don't have much desktop space but I do have a fair bit of 19" rack space. I'm thinking of getting a DFAM and 3u racking it.. but don't want to spend on more eurorack power supplies so I'm thinking of getting something like this :-

Eurorack 19" Rack Frame | SynthRacks

So.. for eg. If I stick a DFAM and say an 0-coast into these while using their regular power supply warts (I've not seen the inside of a DFAM) is it possible to get it to all fit without butchering the internals and soldering cables to the circuit boards?

Then I can free up all my regular powered eurorack spaces by moving the passive units like mults, LPGs, attenuators etc over to fill the spaces around the DFAM/0Coast

Last edited by MarcB; 11th August 2018 at 12:31 AM..
Old 11th August 2018
Don’t the standard Doepfer silver cases fit into 19” racks? I had all my modular racked at one point and I think it was in those Doepfer cases, but it was 20 years ago and my memory is crap.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
I don't have much desktop space but I do have a fair bit of 19" rack space. I'm thinking of getting a DFAM and 3u racking it.. but don't want to spend on more eurorack power supplies so I'm thinking of getting something like this :-

Eurorack 19" Rack Frame | SynthRacks

So.. for eg. If I stick a DFAM and say an 0-coast into these while using their regular power supply warts (I've not seen the inside of a DFAM) is it possible to get it to all fit without butchering the internals and soldering cables to the circuit boards?

Then I can free up all my regular powered eurorack spaces by moving the passive units like mults, LPGs, attenuators etc over to fill the spaces around the DFAM/0Coast
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

yeah , I have two of the Doepfer G6 cases. They're like £400 each, while the one I posted is £40

I'm not asking about the cases. I'm asking if I can rack a DFAM / 0-Coast into the cheap rack frame and continue to use their supplied PSU without butchering the devices. Will the power supply connections get in the way if I rackmount them?
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
yeah , I have two of the Doepfer G6 cases. They're like £400 each, while the one I posted is £40

I'm not asking about the cases. I'm asking if I can rack a DFAM / 0-Coast into the cheap rack frame and continue to use their supplied PSU without butchering the devices. Will the power supply connections get in the way if I rackmount them?
Yes.

The dfam will go striaght in, but you'll have to remove the O-coast from its case. No soldering needed if you're using the original power, although the power entry point is on the side.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Yes.

The dfam will go striaght in, but you'll have to remove the O-coast from its case. No soldering needed if you're using the original power, although the power entry point is on the side.
so the power connectors on the DFAM won't be an issue sticking out the top?
Old 11th August 2018
The obvious issue I see is that the DFAM & 0-Coast aren't both going to fit in the 84hp rack you posted. The DFAM is 60hp and the 0-Coast is 45.

If you're going to be using multiple rack frames then you might try placing a blank panel to the left of the 0-coast, in order to leave room for the power supply. The DFAM should be fine as long as you've got the space around back for the cable to stick out the top, i.e. as long as you don't you put the rack frame into the very top slot of a cabinet with a closed top.

Have you considered a sliding 19" rack mounted shelf, like this one: Amazon Link

For me, one of the 0-Coasts strengths is its portability. I treat it as a part of my system, but I can also pull it out, grab a pair of headphones, a couple guitar pedals, go somewhere and lose an afternoon. Just something to consider.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutek View Post
The obvious issue I see is that the DFAM & 0-Coast aren't both going to fit in the 84hp rack you posted. The DFAM is 60hp and the 0-Coast is 45.
I also have other bits like an SQ1 to go in (just ordered the faceplate for it) so I'll need to order 2 or 3 3u frames.

Quote:
If you're going to be using multiple rack frames then you might try placing a blank panel to the left of the 0-coast, in order to leave room for the power supply. The DFAM should be fine as long as you've got the space around back for the cable to stick out the top, i.e. as long as you don't you put the rack frame into the very top slot of a cabinet with a closed top.
So it won't fit a rack unless the top is empty. How is the power supply control board connected? I've just watched a racking of a Mother32. I'm hoping the DFAM is going to be similar, where the internal power board is connected via wires and screwed to the side panel.

Quote:
Have you considered a sliding 19" rack mounted shelf, like this one: Amazon Link
Racks are angled. Cheers anyway.

Quote:
For me, one of the 0-Coasts strengths is its portability. I treat it as a part of my system, but I can also pull it out, grab a pair of headphones, a couple guitar pedals, go somewhere and lose an afternoon. Just something to consider.
I'm not really a fan of the 0-coast so don't use it for its onboard sounds. I use it for a couple of functions which I don't have with the rest of my gear. The only time this synth will leave on some adventure out my home is when I buy something to replace the midi to clock sync and it goes in the post.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not really a fan of the 0-coast so don't use it for its onboard sounds. I use it for a couple of functions which I don't have with the rest of my gear. The only time this synth will leave on some adventure out my home is when I buy something to replace the midi to clock sync and it goes in the post.
I highly suggest watching all the Make Noise videos for it. You might know the thing inside and out but they made it much more interesting for me. I'm mostly using mine for drum sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutek View Post
Yeh that's what I love about it.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
so the power connectors on the DFAM won't be an issue sticking out the top?
Oops! Yeah, I'm talking nonsense... the DFAM has a separate power board mounted in the case, so you do actually need euro power once its in mountable config.... unless you take the little board out too. Bit of a hassle, but not ... insurmountable.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've racked a lot of modules and used their existing power supplies (System-1m, Mother-32, Aira, Kraftzwerg, etc.) If the DFAM is like the Mother, then when you take the DFAM out of the case, there's a tiny little PCB board that the the power supply hooks up to bolted in the bottom of the case. Take that out, and suspend it behind your module with the wire fed through the case, and you'll be fine.

I don't have the 0-Coast yet, but my understanding on that one is that the power supply is mounted on sticks right out of the side. You have to either modify that port, or just stick a blank to the right of it and live with it.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

thanks. That's what I wanted confirming regarding the DFAM.

The 0-coast connector isn't a problem. I think I can get away with drilling a hole in the side of the rack and threading the cable in from the left within my larger rack frame. Failing that, I'll just remove the matching 3.5mm socket out of a passive mult and have the wire sit there.

cheers!
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 0-coast connector isn't a problem. I think I can get away with drilling a hole in the side of the rack and threading the cable in from the left within my larger rack frame. Failing that, I'll just remove the matching 3.5mm socket out of a passive mult and have the wire sit there.
Damn, that's a pretty good idea. One I'll most certainly have to steal.

Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

There you go. 0-Coast racked n stacked.

I removed the bottom section from the CFM Rectifier and it seemed to fit fine next to the Midi CV thingy.

Nice new silver paint job too.
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brilliant!
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I removed the bottom section from the CFM Rectifier and it seemed to fit fine next to the Midi CV thingy.

Nice new silver paint job too.
Wow, so much easier on the eyes and brain!
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Wow, so much easier on the eyes and brain!
yeah much better, it removed the clutter from the gold lines showing the internal connections, also gone are the large square LEDs and weird font.
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear

Not quite what you are after. But posting in case it helps. I blogged on how I rack mounted my 0 coast including using eurorack power.
How to rack mount a Make Noise 0 Coast in a eurorack case – Mentat

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search