The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Basic Modular synth VST - which one should i start with Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Basic Modular synth VST - which one should i start with

Hi all,

Am newbie to Modular Synths, and am into Electronic music, and looking to create my own sounds and loops, without using any already available ones so to bring in about my own style.

Am looking to learn and use modular, i have seen videos on Modulars on youtube, but it is way out of my knowledge to understand them , so i would like to start with a basic modular VST only for now to learn at same time and use it, no hardware though, i do like go for Moog Mother 32 or Behringer Neutron or Pittsburgh modular in future.

So which modular VST would you suggest to use, btw, am using FL studio for now, to create my music
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

VCV Rack is legit free and pretty great.

See the related thread(s) here in the Modular forum.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’ve not tried a lot of the software options like VCV. But I will say that Reaktor 6 is what pushed me over the edge into hardware modular, and I stand by it. The fact that you can build anything you want in it is ace, tho I never do that. And I don’t need to, because there’s over a decade of quality tools for free in the user library, and more coming every day, so you probably wouldn’t ever need to get your hands that dirty if you don’t want to. Reaktor Blocks is a great way to get a feel for modular, but if you decide that isn’t for you it’s capable of being so many other things that you’ll get your money’s worth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wouldn't use VCV as a replacement for modular because you're missing out on the tactile experience, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a really good synth.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I wouldn't use VCV as a replacement for modular because you're missing out on the tactile experience, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a really good synth.
I can vouch for this personally. I downloaded VCV a long time ago and never got around to it because real modular...

A few weeks ago I took a break from the hardware after a major module sell-out and buy-in that is still in process now. I finally got around to loading up VCV and installing all the freebies the other day, spent a good bit of time playing around but had zero fun. Not wanting to give up so easily, I tried a few more times for a total of probably around 8 hours on it and then unceremoniously quit. It's just not the same, even things that look and sound exactly right -the MI stuff seems spot on- it just didn't feel right.

The conclusion I have come to is that this has nothing to do with the software itself, I simply don't like using a mouse to express myself creatively. I already knew this post DAW-burnout and years of "mouseaphobia" but this really cemented it for me- I'm a hardware person, and process matters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, I think anybody that's already used to mousing around will love it. The Arturia Moog emulation is pretty cool too, in this regard.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I call Deadmau5 "dead mau five" just to mess with my friends who are fans of his.

It's mau-five-ing around of a different sort.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

isn't uhe zebra2 kinda modular in a way?
there is a ton of presets for it to learn from.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
isn't uhe zebra2 kinda modular in a way?
there is a ton of presets for it to learn from.
Yes. Most of the U-he synths are in some way "modular". Diva, ACE, Bazille, and Zebra. I haven't purchased or even looked at any new VSTs for a while so with that in mind, I would say Zebra is hands down the best VST synth around (and is the very reason I don't own any hardware polysynths (except a Blofeld module which I always forget about)).

I think VCV Rack would give the closest experience to real modular. I believe all the Mutable inspired modules are based on the actual code from Mutable. But like everyone above is saying... there's an experience to be had in actually patching and turning knobs. That's the biggest thing with any hardware really.

As far as your looking at the Mother and Neutron. I would advocate taking a real leap when you decide to. It will force you to actually learn to route signals.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Diva is pretty basic as far as modularity, but I think it's really cool that you can swap around different parts of it. Very cool softsynth.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search