The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HERMOD vs ELOQUENCER Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

HERMOD vs ELOQUENCER

Hi community.

I'd like to have us compare the Squarp Instrument Hermod versus the Winter Modular Eloquencer.

I'm looking for a eurorack sequencer with at least 6 cv/gate, easy to program intricate polyrhythm and which also implements iterative/generative processes with chance, conditional probability, euclidean patterns etc.

The Eloquencer seems to be very deep (and expanding) but the lack of MIDI i/o kinda puts me off (would love to have the sequencer communicate with non-modular gear).

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I can't speak much for the Hermod, but I have an Eloquencer and love it. I have had lots of sequencers over the years (Audio Damage Sequencer 1, Metropolis, Rene, Doepfer Dark Time, etc.) and the Eloquencer is my favorite. I think it is laid out really well and very intuitive to use. Without looking at any video or manual, you could probably work your way around the synth's basic features in less than 30 minutes (if you are familiar with other sequencers).

Obviously the Eloquencer has 8 channels with each having gate and CV. This makes it great for use as a drum sequencer or melodic sequencer or both. As far as Euclidean patterns and complex rhythms, the Eloquencer does an excellent job at having probability settings to gates, ratchets, etc. I would watch a couple of the in-depth videos concerning the Eloquencer.

In regards to no MIDI, I hear ya, but I'm fine with it. Many instruments like the Arturia Brute series and Moog gear are being built with CV and Gate options which is great.

Final thought, you can probably snag a Eloquencer used somewhere. I have seen them pop up here and there. AND, if you don't like it, I don't think they will lose a ton of value so you can re-sell it at minimal loss.

Hope that helps.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave Octavio View Post

The Eloquencer seems to be very deep (and expanding) but the lack of MIDI i/o kinda puts me off (would love to have the sequencer communicate with non-modular gear).
In a recent newsletter post Eloquencer announces some kind of Midi expansion option. This will solve your problem, I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Eloquencer is more popular in eurorack. but people do like their Pyramid sequencers and the Hermod is no slouch.
these are quite different sequencers in operation.
do yourself a favour and check all the youtubes on both, so you get an idea of how the workflow is.
there's a thread about the Hermod here
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have an Eloquencer too. It's fantastic.

I also have a Doepfer A155 vintage sequencer, Audio Damage Sequencer 1 and the Kilpatrick Carbon! Also had and sold the Metropolis and the Sequentix P3!!!

Eloquencer is the best. Hands down for depth and the sheer number of channels of sequencing power. But the AD1 is the most intuitive and fun to play with live.

I always wished the Metropolis had more steps but the newest firmware added ratchets and 8 memories, but that wasn't available when i had it.

The Carbon is like a Cirklon light. USB, 2x Midi and 4x Cv/Gate sequencing with loads of memory and a song mode too.

Sequencers are all about workflow and how "your brain" works and processes music. The problem is that you don't know if it is for you until you actually use it for a while.
I'm still looking for the "perfect" sequencer btw... but i think that you need to have different things for different musical styles and feels and different ways of working. Eg: XOX-style, pattern based for a hard techno track which wouldn't work for a Drone ambient piece...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave Octavio View Post

Hi community.

I'd like to have us compare the Squarp Instrument Hermod versus the Winter Modular Eloquencer.

I'm looking for a eurorack sequencer with at least 6 cv/gate, easy to program intricate polyrhythm and which also implements iterative/generative processes with chance, conditional probability, euclidean patterns etc.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Did you see some of my videos on the Eloquencer? They may help with learning more about the unit.

If you cannot find the all in one sequencer solution, especially covering Midi OUT to other gear... You may want to look at the option of something like the Eloquencer which is great for pattern based programming, probability editing and can do melodic as well of course, plus a separate module that offers cv/gate to midi to sequence other non eurorack hardware.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Very helpful answer y'all. Thank you
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

there are also many midi to cv and cv to midi modules and stand alone boxes to make stuff talk to each other.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search