The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dove Audio WTF Oscillator Kickstarter now live. Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th July 2018
Here for the gear

WTF Oscillator

Hello all,

After a break from the world of synths for a while (just over 12 months) I'm back with a bunch of new ideas and concepts. The first of these is the WTF Oscillator which is a whole new way of morphing from one wave to the next, something never done before.
It uses 32 waveforms, 28 all new and four classic (sine, saw, square and triangle) waveforms and everything is fully CV controllable well into audio range (around 2.5khz).

I'm about to launch a kickstarter (I'm just waiting for approval from Kickstarter) to raise money to build this. It will be available in BOTH euro-rack and MU format modules.

I recently showed this at the Brighton Modular meet and it was very well received.

Here's a couple of videos to wet your appetite, a full explanation of the new morphing technique will be given as soon as the kickstarter goes live;

WTF oscillator, Euro-rack format
YouTube

WTF Oscillator, MU format
YouTube

Many thanks
Paula
Old 6th July 2018
Hi Paula, welcome back VCO looks good
Old 6th July 2018
DSC
Gear Nut

Sounds and looks great! More deets please!
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

You had me at "wavetable". There's no such thing as enough digital in modular as far as I'm concerned. Let us know when the Kickstarter goes live! I want in on this!
Old 7th July 2018
Here for the gear

Ooops, I forgot to add links to a couple of demos on Soundcloud - Dove Audio | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 7th July 2018
Very kool Paula!

Best wishes on the new project!
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Nut

Awesome.

Glad you are back in synthland!
Old 10th July 2018
Here for the gear

Dove Audio WTF Oscillator Kickstarter now live.

WTF Module Kickstarter is now live!

I'm pleased to announce that the Dove Audio WTF Oscillator module kickstarter campaign is now live.

WTF Oscillator for Euro or MU format modular synthesiser by Paula Maddox —Kickstarter

There are 7 early birds for 7 lucky people with a reduced price, as well as a regular priced module and some custom options.

Please help us make this possible by sharing the link far and wide.

Thank you for your help.
Paula
Old 10th July 2018
Here for the gear

Kickstarter is now live, along with an explanation and videos (and audio)

WTF Oscillator for Euro or MU format modular synthesiser by Paula Maddox —Kickstarter

please back me and share with your friends
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear
Hey Paula, welcome back!

One thing I wondered after seeing the videos is, can the start point of the window through the wave cycle be changed? It starts at 50% through (or 25/75 in dual mode).. if you open say 10% to the second waveform, could you then change the start of that gap to 20-30% from the default 45-55%?
Old 10th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Hey Paula, welcome back!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
One thing I wondered after seeing the videos is, can the start point of the window through the wave cycle be changed? It starts at 50% through (or 25/75 in dual mode).. if you open say 10% to the second waveform, could you then change the start of that gap to 20-30% from the default 45-55%?
This was something that I did consider, and for the next generation of modules (assuming this gets funded) I would definitely implement, but this would mean more knobs and a bigger panel.

Paula
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac
I was fortunate to see the prototype in action a few weeks ago and it's completely brilliant. I don't even have a modular rig yet (well other than my Neutron gateway drug) but I totally want one...
Old 11th July 2018
< threads merged >
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

We're now 62% funded! in 48 hours!!!
We've also got our preliminary t-shirt design up

WTF Oscillator for Euro or MU format modular synthesiser by Paula Maddox —
Kickstarter

Paula
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Just pledged.
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just pledged.

Thank you for your support, it's really appreciated.
Old 12th July 2018
They plugged the WTF on Sonicstate live yesterday. Probably a nice bump there. Best of luck with this fantastic product.
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
They plugged the WTF on Sonicstate live yesterday. Probably a nice bump there. Best of luck with this fantastic product.
Thank you, I was watching

For the record, the modulation rate goes well into audio range, just over 2Khz to be precise.

Paula
Old 13th July 2018
DivKid has a video of the WTF VCO. Not wasting time I see.
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
DivKid has a video of the WTF VCO. Not wasting time I see.
Thanks, he has some more coming, and I'm recording another one this weekend.

Paula
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaM View Post
Thanks, he has some more coming, and I'm recording another one this weekend.

Paula
Hoorah!
Old 18th July 2018
Here for the gear

We've added a cool new feature to the oscillator, wavetables for both front and rear waveforms, which you can use along with the window transform function.
All fully CV controllable.

Kickstarter
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

We reached our funding goal this morning

So this is definitely going to happen now, which is really exciting!

Thank you to everyone who's pledged, shared and supported this campaign.

Paula
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Woo! MUCH EXCITE!
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Will this be seeing a commercial release as well, or just to Kickstarter pledges?
Old 25th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Will this be seeing a commercial release as well, or just to Kickstarter pledges?
It's a good question, yes I'd like to do a commercial release, but in order to do that I need to buy in bigger numbers than the current pledges.
I'd estimate it would need to be nearly 200% funded to make it possible above and beyond 10 or so.

I will add, that I've added a stretch goal, when we get to 150% the module will get a reworked PCB and panel, taking it from 20HP to 16HP.

Kickstarter

Paula
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaM View Post
I'd estimate it would need to be nearly 200% funded to make it possible above and beyond 10 or so.
I'll keep my fingers crossed loudly, then. Just bumped into some money problems and needed to pull my pledge. Sorry!
Old 25th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed loudly, then. Just bumped into some money problems and needed to pull my pledge. Sorry!
No worries, I hope things improve for you soon
Old 25th July 2018
Here for the gear

DivKid has done another quick demo of the WTF oscillator module, this time showing what I've called "uber PWM" or "super pulse";

YouTube
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

I probably can't respond quick enough to get in on the Kickstarter for this one, too much else going on, but it's a brilliant module, regardless, and I hope it does well.

If a Production model of the 16hp variant comes to fruition, I'd definitely buy one, but side mounted jacks are a pet peeve of mine and I'd only pledge anyway if it hit the 150% goal...

I'd also happily pay a few $ extra for a silver/raw Panel option, because I'm a weirdo. Not complaining, mind you, just providing some feedback if you end up making more of them.

I'm usually hung up on interesting Analog modules, but I also love the SynthTech E352 and this will make a fine companion to it and my other Oscillators. The WTF's window is uniquely cool.

Please do try to make more even if the Kickstarter doesn't reach 200%. If I miss out on this run it will be a close call. The interest is definitely there but the timing kind of sucks for me.

Best of luck. I'll keep watching this thread and the Kickstarter.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search