The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Took the first steps, now what? How to decide?
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Cranial Saw
Great!!
I know its like comparing blue and green, but can anyone rank these modules or add/up/dn individual modules

VCFs
- Malekko Heavy Industry Dual Borg
- Bubblesound SEM20 Multimode Filter
- STG Sea Devils Filter
- STG Post Lawsuit Filter
- Manhattan Analog Discrete SVVCF
- Vintage Synth Lab VCF74 MK2
- STS Serge Variable Q VCF
- AJH Gemini
- Toptop Forbidden Planet

WAVESHAPER/FOLDERS
- Bubblesound cvWS
- STG Soundlabs Wave Folder
- Doepfer (many)
- SSSR Labs SM630 AWS
- TipTop Fold Processor
- Toppobrillo Tripple wave folder
- Elby Designs Wavolver II
- Yusynth Waveshaper
- Serge Triple+ Waveshaper
- System80 Waveshaper
- AniModule SOB
- Abstract Data ADE-10 Reactive Shaper
- Intellijel uFold/uFold II
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Here's my quick take, based on a mix of first hand experience, watching loads of demo videos, and reading metric-boatloads of threads here and elsewhere (so this is a mix of my personal opinions and what I garnered are the aggregate opinions regarding the rest):

>> VCFs

1. AJH Gemini
2. Malekko Heavy Industry Dual Borg
3. STG Post Lawsuit Filter
4. Manhattan Analog Discrete SVVCF
...then the rest.

>> WAVESHAPER/FOLDERS

1. Serge Triple+ Waveshaper
2. TipTop Fold Processor
3. Intellijel uFold/uFold II
...then the rest.
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Maniac

I see that you already have a nice filter so the Dual Borg might indeed be a tasty addition, but be aware that the Dual Borg is a peculiar filter with a quite slow response. I love the sound of it, though.
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Head

Just check Modulargrid for a ranking based on how popular the modules are. I wouldn’t buy anything based on that parameter but to each their own.
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Just check Modulargrid for a ranking based on how popular the modules are. I wouldn’t buy anything based on that parameter but to each their own.
I don't either, but it makes for a starting point for researching them.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, no new labour laws in Sweden that would explain any mentionable price increase.

the value of the currency though went in the ****ter about 2 years ago and lets just say its not gonna recover any time soon. a dollar used to be 6,50-8,00 and now its 9,50....

its the third worst going currency in the entire world as we speak. even zimbabwe is going better. and in zimbabwe the actual copper they make their coins of is worth more than the monetary value if you melt them down and sell it as scrap metal.

going well now
really
really
well.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckan View Post
Great!!

VCFs
- Malekko Heavy Industry Dual Borg (this is very good, dont do any bread and butter sounds though, its does wild and crazy and then 11, it likes 11)

- Bubblesound SEM20 Multimode Filter (sem filters never sounds like sems just so you know, you will probaly be disappointed unless you just want a kinda disting multimode)

- STG Sea Devils Filter (you will probably be disapponted with this one, its an EMS copy, and you either love it or hate it. its a good filter but i kinda feels it lacks character these days, its too mild. another diode filter that does wild and crazy is the doepfer a-102, its totally insane)

- STG Post Lawsuit Filter (this is a copy of the arp 2500 or what its called. kinda tame imo)

- Manhattan Analog Discrete SVVCF (probably good, everything from MA is good)

- Vintage Synth Lab VCF74 MK2 (good, dont have it though)

- STS Serge Variable Q VCF (buggy i read)

- AJH Gemini (another dual sem filter?? sem filters are boring as fuk in modulars since 1 they dont sound like sems and they are kinda ****ty in general, talking sound quality. if you want the sem sound get a sem. its the only way. ask me how i know)

- Toptop Forbidden Planet (dont knwo anything)

WAVESHAPER/FOLDERS
- Bubblesound cvWS

- STG Soundlabs Wave Folder (classic which all others are measured by)

- Doepfer (many)

- SSSR Labs SM630 AWS

- TipTop Fold Processor

- Toppobrillo Tripple wave folder (supposedly good)

- Elby Designs Wavolver II

- Yusynth Waveshaper (i think both the stg and toppobrillo use this exact design, i might be remembering this wrong though)

- Serge Triple+ Waveshaper (get the wave multipliers instead, this is the best wavefolder imo)

- System80 Waveshaper

- AniModule SOB

- Abstract Data ADE-10 Reactive Shaper

wmd/ssf folder is also very good, probably much better than most of these to be honest. everything from wmd, ssf, wmd/ssf is very very good and simply just works as supposed. they dont **** around.

one thing you want with a wavefolder is the ability to send rectified signals into it. only the wave multipliers does this on board. you also want filters in the pipe. these type of modules really come to life when sending rectified signals into them. just so you know.

imo best wavefolders by sound. wave multipliers, stg, wmd/ssf (the wmd/ssf also have everything cv-able and its cheap)

Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

truly good filters imo:

a-102
jove
dual borg
synth tech e440
rossum evolution
modcan multimode
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Nice. ^

Current Favorites (in no particular order):

E440
Belgrad
Tona
Natural Gate

I also love the sound of many others.

A few notables:

Forbidden Planet
Wasp
Aperture
Dual Borg
Three Sisters
Evolution
Gemini
and on and on.

The Jove is on my list now. It never ends.

I really do want ALL THE MODULARS.

Short of ending up poor, I don't think I'll stop until I've literally run out of unique ones to like.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
the value of the currency though went in the ****ter about 2 years ago and lets just say its not gonna recover any time soon. a dollar used to be 6,50-8,00 and now its 9,50....

its the third worst going currency in the entire world as we speak. even zimbabwe is going better. and in zimbabwe the actual copper they make their coins of is worth more than the monetary value if you melt them down and sell it as scrap metal.

going well now
really
really
well.
US pennies have cost more than a penny to produce for many years now. It's dumb.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

you gotta catch them all oh wait thats pokemon
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
US pennies have cost more than a penny to produce for many years now. It's dumb.
its probably too hard to fake for this to make sense to forge. its very hard to fake coins. you need very specialized equipment. cnc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...arge_machining machines and skilled operators. otherwise it wont be good. you need these to make the dies to stamp these out. if you dont mass produce them there is no economy in it. from a forging point of view (ex machinist speaking).
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

I have a problem with the e440. its too ****ing good. it just does everything it does so much better than everything else, with character too, not bland. so its like winning on walk over kinda, every time you use it. its one giant sweet spot. and i love all of it.

buuut. i feel i dont have to work for it. and then i feel any monkey could have done that. and then it stops meaning anything to me. its simply too good. no joke.
it needs much more imperfections. i think the modcan is the e440 with retained imperfections. the modcan you have to work with to get where you want and its not for certain you can even get there at all. but if you do/when you do then its extremely rewarding. with the 440 its taken for granted. it can do it. you know it.

maybe this wont make sense at all. but i dont ****ing care. it is what it is.
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

going well now
really
really
well.
I agree, the Swedish currency is really weak right now and it has been ”going” (as in developing) worse than most currencies but it’s stronger than the zimbabwean currency by 36:1, so.. Also, just 10 years ago the American dollar was about as much in sek as it is today.

Anyway, if Cwejman stuff is made in Sweden then the weak currency should really make Cwejman stuff cheaper for foreigners.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

I own a single bill of Zimbabwean currency as art... a 100 Trillion one.

That sounds a little weird to say, frankly. But I do have one. To me it's too fun to have a "real" bill of that enormous denomination. "I'm Rich!!"
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
you gotta catch them all oh wait thats pokemon
For real.

As long as they're unique and cool and useful somehow. I'm not really a collector sort, but I can use a boatload of sh!t if I have it, so I'm going to get a bunch, I bet... I'm not hurrying but just being real about what I expext to happen. It's like skateboards or pedals or something, everything is $50-500ish. And there are SO many interesting ones. It lends itself to accumulating many.

I'm being picky AF, too, and it's still a bunch...
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice. ^
Current Favorites (in no particular order):
E440
Belgrad
Tona
Natural Gate
I also love the sound of many others.
A few notables:
Forbidden Planet
Wasp
Aperture
Dual Borg
Three Sisters
Evolution
Gemini
and on and on.
The Jove is on my list now. It never ends.
Short of ending up poor, I don't think I'll stop until I've literally run out of unique ones to like.
Thank you, all
BOUGHT
- Bubblesound cvWS
- STG Soundlabs Wave Folder
BUYING NOW
- Serge Wave Multipliers (best wavefolder ?)
- Serge Triple+ Waveshaper
- TipTop Fold Processor
- Yusynth Waveshaper (same as TipTop Fold Processor and Serge Triple+ Waveshaper?
Need a very snappy ADSR also, with very precise exponential control
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
WTF!! too good mate
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, the Swedish currency is really weak right now and it has been ”going” (as in developing) worse than most currencies but it’s stronger than the zimbabwean currency by 36:1, so.. Also, just 10 years ago the American dollar was about as much in sek as it is today.

Anyway, if Cwejman stuff is made in Sweden then the weak currency should really make Cwejman stuff cheaper for foreigners.
not if they are importing components. and paying in dollars. this i common.
about 4 years ago the sek tanked actually. 2sek worse in a very short time. vs dollars

if you import stuff that would have costed you 100 usd and converting this to sek then its x amount but if the usd price remains but the sek tanks then its like 20-30-40% more expensive to import stuff to build your stuff.

and 9if you export this in dollars there would be no price increase at all.

but if you also export in € and sek then it will then you have to increase prices to adjust for this devaluation. and i simply guess they did this "genereally" to go even. but hey wtf do i know i'm not in economy/money.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckan View Post
WTF!! too good mate
i actually have the random source "wave multipliers" because of this vid. its awesome.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search