The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Expert Sleepers may have finally gotten me with the FH-2
Old 13th June 2018
  #1
Expert Sleepers may have finally gotten me with the FH-2



I've been anti- this type of stuff for the most part while I have been exploring the modular environment fully (and exclusively) for the last few years. I already knew how to use a controller and a DAW to make music, I just never felt like integrating any of it together up until now.

For years I have been hearing how Expert Sleepers is the best game in town for this functionality. Finally they made something that tickles my fancy. I am loving the idea of plugging in a computer AND a controller (Nektar P6) at the same time, and it looks like I'll be able to control stuff on the computer and the Modular with the P6.

This module really looks like a winner for me. I can have a template set up for every scenario. Even with nothing plugged in USB it can do clocks, LFO's and it even has a Tuner onboard.
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloa...manual_1.0.pdf
Old 13th June 2018
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
DEVO1982's Avatar
Hopefully much better than their FH-1 and their on-line editor UI
Old 3rd November 2018
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO1982 View Post
Hopefully much better than their FH-1 and their on-line editor UI
I never owned an FH-1 so I can't comment, but the FH-2 is easy to program from the screen or with the online editor. You just plug your ipad or laptop right into the USB-C input on the FH-2 and it just works no problem. Easily understood editor as well, considering how much you can do with it.

I finally got my FH-2 a few days ago, and it's really really great. So far I have used it like you would think as a MIDI to CV converter mostly, and found the V/octave outs to be as if not more accurate than the outputs of my quantizers (Harmonaig and uScale). You can plug in a passive USB hub into the USB-A port and plug in more than 1 controller and they work great too. Right now I am using a QuNexus and a Nektar P6 together.

One amazing bonus feature is the MIDI thru header which is meant to be sent to the MIDI breakout module. You can also send the MIDI signal directly from the back of the module via jumper cables out to other modules that have this, such as the Expert Sleepers General CV which I have-

So now I basically have a MIDI-controlled 8-voice polyphonic General Midi synth in my case in addition to all of the midi-cv control. This is without using any of the standard ins or outs on the front of the module, too.

PS: The irony of being excited about a General midi synth inside of my Eurorack modular is not lost on me one bit but I am loving it..
Old 3rd November 2018
  #4
Cool modules.
for the tuner/quantizer I'm not buying it.
but.. I might have to buy an ES-8, later, since it's the only one like that (audio rate CV) on the market.

I used one of their interaces some time ago, and it was solid.
I do think their modules are just too expensive for what we get. 365 euros for an ES-8 (430 euro incl. VAT excl. shipping)? really?

Last edited by Reptil; 13th November 2018 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 3rd November 2018
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Cool modules.
for the tuner/quantizer I'm not buying it.
but.. I might have to buy one, later, since it's the only one like that (audio rate CV) on the market.

I used one of their interaces some time ago, and it was solid.
I do think their modules are just too expensive for what we get. 430 euros (excl. VAT excl. shipping)? really?
Yeah...they aren’t cheap for sure but this is eurorack. I own 2 different modules that cost me 750 each and one of them is an oscillator. I find you get what you pay for when you are willing to pay a little more, and when you try to save money you end up unhappy or flat out unable to work. There are of course exceptions to that but when you need precise voltage isn’t one of them imo. YMMV of course.
Old 8th November 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah...they aren’t cheap for sure but this is eurorack. I own 2 different modules that cost me 750 each and one of them is an oscillator. I find you get what you pay for when you are willing to pay a little more, and when you try to save money you end up unhappy or flat out unable to work. There are of course exceptions to that but when you need precise voltage isn’t one of them imo. YMMV of course.
Considering the cost of the Disting compared to what it does, there has to be something going on with their other modules that justifies the costs; Contracting a developer vs. projected unit sales maybe.
Old 8th November 2018
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Considering the cost of the Disting compared to what it does, there has to be something going on with their other modules that justifies the costs; Contracting a developer vs. projected unit sales maybe.
Disting is probably about 14 dollars worth of hardware. The cost is in the code for ES modules, and I can tell you the 2 I own have enough code and functionality that cost wasn’t a factor in purchasing them. Also I scored a deal on the General CV off Muffs market anyway.

Last edited by slaughtrhaus; 8th November 2018 at 03:34 PM..
Old 24th November 2018
  #8
Excellent module with TONS of usability. I love Expert Sleepers. Own ES8, ES3 and now the FH-2. All simple
to use and solid. Will post online review of FH-2 soon.
Old 24th November 2018
  #9
So... I'm considering an FH myself, but undecided on the FH-1 vs Fh2. I've been seeing the FH-1's going for as low as $150 used recently so I'm trying to determine if the FH2 is worth the extra ~$100, assuming I'm able to pick up an Fh1 for $150.

I already have the ES3, ES5, and ES6 in my Doepfer case, and get a lot of use out of them. I also have a Cell 90 skiff and am making a more portable instrument based around capturing and mangling found sounds with Morphagene (which I just got and freaking LOVE, btw) and Clouds. I'm looking to the FH1/2 to be primarily a versatile clock and modulation source. The idea is I'd be able to take the Cell 90 and an iPad downstairs, or on vacation or wherever, and get lost in it for hours.

It looks like FH1 and 2 both do clocks, LFO's, and midi to CV conversion. Are there any features besides the screen that make the FH2 a must-have over the Fh1?
Old 24th November 2018
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smutek View Post
So... I'm considering an FH myself, but undecided on the FH-1 vs Fh2. I've been seeing the FH-1's going for as low as $150 used recently so I'm trying to determine if the FH2 is worth the extra ~$100, assuming I'm able to pick up an Fh1 for $150.

I already have the ES3, ES5, and ES6 in my Doepfer case, and get a lot of use out of them. I also have a Cell 90 skiff and am making a more portable instrument based around capturing and mangling found sounds with Morphagene (which I just got and freaking LOVE, btw) and Clouds. I'm looking to the FH1/2 to be primarily a versatile clock and modulation source. The idea is I'd be able to take the Cell 90 and an iPad downstairs, or on vacation or wherever, and get lost in it for hours.

It looks like FH1 and 2 both do clocks, LFO's, and midi to CV conversion. Are there any features besides the screen that make the FH2 a must-have over the Fh1?
The FH-2 has the capability to be a device and a host, and not only has a USB-A port but also has a USB-C port as well. Also you can use a passive USB hub on the USB-A port and plug in as many things as you need to, I don't know if the FH-1 does this. FH-2 uses a web-based app that you can download and use local without the web for programming, not sure if the FH-1 uses this or not. I know at one point it was some kind of code thing to program it but maybe it's updated to the app too...
Old 14th August 2020
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post

One amazing bonus feature is the MIDI thru header which is meant to be sent to the MIDI breakout module. You can also send the MIDI signal directly from the back of the module via jumper cables out to other modules that have this, such as the Expert Sleepers General CV which I have-

Can the FH2 receive midi FROM the general CV in this way? like say if you were playing a midi file in free playback mode?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1 views: 886
Avatar for DanRand
DanRand 6th August 2014
replies: 94 views: 7969
Avatar for Darxxxell
Darxxxell 13th June 2016
replies: 7 views: 1859
Avatar for kiki_90291
kiki_90291 8th June 2018
replies: 34 views: 2571
Avatar for drxcm
drxcm 2 weeks ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump