The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Model D - DIY Mods
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Addict

so, quick update on wave select section & PWM

got hold of a spare unit and was checking on how easy the jacks, pots etc could be replaced - spoiler: that stuff sits *tightly* soldered on the pcb --> risk of ripping out copper traces etc., so anyone wantinmg to convert the boog into a moog-alike, get those desolder skills first...

As for PWM, I was wondering about a better way to introduce PWM than describes as the less invasive mod described in my guide. Well, if you take out the resistor marked R163 on the pic below (part numbering according to boog schematics, page 1, section A7), and introduce a variable voltage on the right leg of the removed resistor, you have PWM on the square wave. pulse 1 & 2 will remain as were. voltage range should between -2.5 v and close to 0v if you want to remain within the values of original square and pulse 2. lowering the negative value would give you even narrower pulse (not tested yet, but assume something between -3.5 and 0). this means implementing a variable resistor and/or PWM cv inputs would get you into territory of full-on pw and pwm as in guinguin's diy version.

(still need to check which resistors vco 2 and 3)
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Model D - DIY Mods-wavesel_section_vco1.jpg  
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

follow-up on that pwm

for vco 2 & 3 should be the two resistors marked in pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Model D - DIY Mods-dscn3865.jpg  
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you.

Getting ready to make several mods to mine based on your work and sharing of the knowledge.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Thank you.

Getting ready to make several mods to mine based on your work and sharing of the knowledge.
Nice! keep us posted on how it goes
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
Nice! keep us posted on how it goes
I will. I will probably have questions.

I have printed your guide in color, and printed this thread, read through it all several times, and made a list of what mods interest me, along with notes, plus sketched an extension patch panel on some graph paper. I have started a basic BOM.

Soon I will order parts for this and some MS-20 Mini mods I am researching and for a few other DIY projects I have sitting waiting on me to build and some I am about to order (some Befaco gear, a Roland filter, a CP3 mixer, a Bi-Phase).

I have soldered car audio stuff and other basic things before but this will be my first real DIY experience of this caliber, but I am not worried, not really. I estimate I will be done in about one month, maybe two. I must buy a new soldering setup also.

My first DIY eurorack case is where it all converges, and I have many tasks left to do:

As I work toward some more like this up top, but I will make them all have matching knobs before I am done:

As soon as the Pro-1 is available I will be examining it for similar mods, based on this experience, to squeeze as much as I can from this Throwback setup.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
Apparently, they're mini toggle switches, with a rocker cap fitted to them - or that's what synthpro had on the prototype in this video:

YouTube

If they're still the same ones, they're probably "through hole" not SMD, i.e. with legs going through holes in the PCB, and soldered on the other side. If so, they should be pretty sturdy - just hold on to the body of the switch as you prise the rocker cap off.

Possibly what you're feeling is play between the plastic rocker and the actual lever of the switch.
update on that : I broke the top half of the switch on the second one I tried to remove. It's cheap…
I'll try to repair it with cyanolit glue (it seems to have been glued to begin with) - replacing the switch would be better but I have no idea if that model can be found.
IMG-2033 — imgbb.com

here's also a pic from a guy on facebook who successfully did it "with two screwdrivers and patience". It just doesn't seem practical at all to me.
56371130-10214287561362622-6285652751858794496-n — imgbb.com
edit: repaired and functional
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by naos View Post
update on that : I broke the top half of the switch on the second one I tried to remove. It's cheap…
I'll try to repair it with cyanolit glue (it seems to have been glued to begin with) - replacing the switch would be better but I have no idea if that model can be found.
IMG-2033 — imgbb.com

here's also a pic from a guy on facebook who successfully did it "with two screwdrivers and patience". It just doesn't seem practical at all to me.
56371130-10214287561362622-6285652751858794496-n — imgbb.com
edit: repaired and functional
nice, i like that guy - patience is a virtue

glad you got it working again with glue!

as for many switches and even pots, mechanical force may be needed but that's of course also a risk. some ladik eurorack modules, for instance, built like tanks, but you need a fork and a rather good biceps to get the caps off of the pots - om old korg synths, the buttons are fastened with weird bits of plastic, that, when broken off, make the whole button unusable; i've somehow come to the conclusion that cosmetic mods are not always worth it - there's a thread on muffs on blowing up the boog to moog size, an option i'd rather forego
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
i've somehow come to the conclusion that cosmetic mods are not always worth it - there's a thread on muffs on blowing up the boog to moog size, an option i'd rather forego
yep, it instant killed all my boog mod fantasies… not worth it.
on the other hand it would be really good to know what those switches are, to be able to get some spare parts when their time comes…
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

ah well, most internal mods are less hazardous than that

as for witch dunno

need to google sub miniature rocker switch / sub miniature paddle

something comparable
RS-4C: VERTICAL SUBMINIATURE ROCKER SWITCH SPDT ON-ON – Velleman – Wholesaler and developer of electronics
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search