The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer Model D - DIY Mods
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

^ Indeed. Rockstar status.
Old 11th July 2018
okay, this this growing more ambitious per day...

First of all, attached is a neato version of the mod points so far. Adapted a high res scan of the pcb. As for the mod ins, beware too high voltages. Aynthing between -5/+5v should be fine, but a permanent version should possibly consider resistors/attenuators/overload protections for the ins.

Labelled PCB: DIY Modpoints for Behringer Model D Synthesizer - Album on Imgur

Now, let's talk about oscillator hardsync. Googled for common Mini modifications and found some info on syntfool on how to implement hardsync for VCO1->2 and VCO1->3. Turns out the Boog's VCo section is pretty much the smd version of the older Mini oscillator board (the one without tempco), and a Sync mod seems to be pretty much a matter of two diodes, two resistors and two switches

mini mods see also Moog Music Forum • View topic - Minimoog Sync Mod

The transistors on the old Mini board labelled Q3, Q21 and Q34 translate in the Behringer schematics to T7, T37, T57.

Such a mod on the Boog would, as oscillator sync does, give you the classical cutting lead sounds (feeding some envelope/lfo to the VCO-FM in) or just enable you to shape wobbly free-phase 2/3 vco bass sounds into something with defined attack.

Will see if and how I'll be trying this since potentially blowing a smt tranny is kinda scary; so no promises. Will read up a bit on this first.
Old 11th July 2018
Right, in terms of hard sync, this is how it should work, except it doesn't... Wired everything up as per pdf below, yet engaging switch only causes vco1 to go silent. Maybe I tapped the wrong pins? If anybody's good at schematics, do have a go!

Q3, Q21 and Q34 here

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fj...chem-below.gif

should translate as T7, T37, T57 in the Behringer schematics (linked above). Checked for pinout on sot 23 versions but nada sync so far. Input welcome.

Last edited by Maffez; 18th July 2018 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: outdated attachment deleted
Old 14th July 2018
Here for the gear

Kudos on all the detective work thus far.
Can the internal LFO be directly routed to all VCOs for PWM? Likewise for VCA controlling PWM?
Old 14th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleatorus View Post
Kudos on all the detective work thus far.
Can the internal LFO be directly routed to all VCOs for PWM? Likewise for VCA controlling PWM?
pleasure.

yeah, you can route it to vco1-3 individually or all of them. you could do this by means of three individual potis or switches and a poti - I get the best results from using the internal lfo ti wave and a 1k - 47k pot. sweet side-effect is that when the pot is fully turned, the pulse switches to square, i.e. when knob fully turned you have square, when turned a bit you have pulse, when turned more, lfo pwm fades in.

with vca do you mean by chance envelope/contour? using the one vca in the boog for modulating pwm intensity would leave no vca for volume control (except you use an external vca). both envelopes work nicely tho - again, you could use a switch or socket and poti for that
Old 14th July 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks. So taking the LFO-OUT to a pot, slider (via switch/es) directly to R40/220/373? Cold end of pot to ground, or -10V?

Yes, by VCA, I meant the envelope/contour CV if feeding internal VCOs externally.
Old 14th July 2018
Quote:
Thanks. So taking the LFO-OUT to a pot, slider (via switch/es) directly to R40/220/373? Cold end of pot to ground, or -10V?

Yes, by VCA, I meant the envelope/contour CV if feeding internal VCOs externally.
Posted an Imgur link to a partially labelled pcb above. Cold end to groud, in to lfo-out, out to either of the three pins on the waveform selector as indicated in the pic. And yes envelope contur works as well.

Currently tinkered with a small eurorack panel that's basically sockets, diodes and pots. Most convenient solution for me is attenuated sockets to the PWM in points on the pcb and ground, so you can take the D's lfo / env out sockets as flexibly as you like. It also takes cv from my modular, but currents are higher, i.e. would need stronger attenuation.
Old 15th July 2018
Pretty happy with the PWM mod so far. Repurposed a 2hp eurorack multiple for a basic breakout box.

PWM_potato - Streamable

Quality is extremely potato-ish and sound very low - but audiovisual proof and such...
Old 15th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
Posted an Imgur link to a partially labelled pcb above. Cold end to groud, in to lfo-out, out to either of the three pins on the waveform selector as indicated in the pic. And yes envelope contur works as well.
Thanks, had seen the labelled PCB image, very useful. I've literally only just got my Model D, so won't be modding just yet, but definitely will do.

BTW, mine has firmware v1.7 and none of the multi-triggering options appear to be what I really want. Perhaps they've changed things in this version but at the moment any changes are undocumented.
My own preference is for a new-pitch trigger, regardless of wherever it's played on the keyboard or what other notes are already held down. I built such a circuit for my own synth (back in the 70s), so I guess I may need to do the same again. Any thoughts on this?
Old 15th July 2018
Quote:
My own preference is for a new-pitch trigger, regardless of wherever it's played on the keyboard or what other notes are already held down. I built such a circuit for my own synth (back in the 70s), so I guess I may need to do the same again. Any thoughts on this?
check the synthfool mods linked above; there's a single-multiple trigger thing that might be interesting for you

glad you find the labelled pcb useful

at the moment I'm still struggling a bit with the differences between schematic and the final board revision; there seem to be quite some differences in terms of ic/transistor/resistor number labels; maybe I'm too amateurish, but hard sync and summed filter cv out detective work has not yet yielded results - that's the tantalus fruit hanging there, but slowly and steadily....
Old 17th July 2018
Right, after some sleuthing on the pcb I think I managed to translate the "old osc board" schematic to the actual layout of the Boog. The Rev0 schematic pdf of the Boog is sadly not accurate, so it is only of limited use.

However, I labelled the oscillator section (still needs some proofing) and managed to hard sync VCO 2 to VCO 3.

Need to test a bit more and solder, but getting there. More correctly labelled PCB of the VCO section is below. Indicated all relevant solder points for syncing any vco to any other (to taste) but will most likely stick to the classic mod of syncing vco 2/3 to one (mostly because I have no idea if it is healthy to cross-sync several vcos).

Audio files will follow soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Model D - DIY Mods-behringer-model-d-vco_section.jpg  
Old 18th July 2018
Alors, je vous presente.... le Fanstastique Beogue Syncomatique:

DSCN3514 - Streamable

Behringer Model D - Hard Sync VCO2 -> 3 by Uibkmedan | M M | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Boog Hardsync 2 by Uibkmedan | M M | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Basically, the assumptions in post 41 appear to be correct. Updated complete howto will follow soon.
Old 18th July 2018
Final update for the time being and first complete modding guide, covering 7 modifications such as PWM and Hard Sync.

Feel free to share and improve that guide. Happy modding
Attached Files
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Final update for the time being and first complete modding guide, covering 7 modifications such as PWM and Hard Sync.

Fantastic. Many thanks for doing this and sharing
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice work
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Great job. Thanks so much for your efforts and for sharing.
Old 19th July 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you Maffez, great job.

Now do I mod my Model D or buy a second one to bastardize?
Old 19th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by a100user View Post
Thank you Maffez, great job.

Now do I mod my Model D or buy a second one to bastardize?
Good question...

Actually, any of those mods are fully reversible as you do not need to cut traces etc. the sync mod is a bit fiddly on account of the transistor size, but the rest...

on the other hand, many second hand boogs entering the market now since folks seem to have overbought. dips on those before buying a new unit
Old 23rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Great work Maffez! I’ll be trying the PWM mod very soon! Btw, what’s the purpose of the diode and is it absolutely needed?

Quote:
Good question...

Actually, any of those mods are fully reversible as you do not need to cut traces etc. the sync mod is a bit fiddly on account of the transistor size, but the rest...

on the other hand, many second hand boogs entering the market now since folks seem to have overbought. dips on those before buying a new unit
Old 23rd July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
Great work Maffez! I’ll be trying the PWM mod very soon! Btw, what’s the purpose of the diode and is it absolutely needed?
Hey, cool! Diode is not really needed for that one, i.e. PWM works without it fine. The diode is more to protect modulators feeding cv in from reverse current, as there is some current on the pin. However, most Eurorack stuff and the lfo out of the Boog itself are protected. If you feed it from euro anyways and have an attenuator in your setup, you would practically only need to wire the pin to a socket. Lemme know how you progress
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

just seen this on modular grid, please do this!!! it's so frustrating how few points are patchable. any luck with VC-ing filter resonance and contour amount? and the envelopes? would love to modulate decay lengths
Old 23rd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf_a View Post
just seen this on modular grid, please do this!!! it's so frustrating how few points are patchable. any luck with VC-ing filter resonance and contour amount? and the envelopes? would love to modulate decay lengths
hey, dunno if anybody with the tools and cpacity to do faceplates will jump on board, but using multiples in lieu, say manhattan analog 4x4, for instance, might be a workaround. i've slaughtered a doepfer multiple as a brakout for a couple of mod points.

as for cving reso, that's doable (see labelled modpoint pic), contour amount would need more work (an external vca in between the emph pot would do, I reckon) and so would decay length

will keep this in mind tho on account of other stuff this is an on/off thing for me. fiddling on individual note cv for the vcos and possibly filter pole mod atm

I share your frustration, hence my move to start modding. I think Behringer could easily make serious dosh by reissuing a v2 with a patchbay in the manner of the Neutron
Old 23rd August 2018
Here for the gear

Moog artwork

This is a bit wacky but I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the printed front panel with a printed design that is even closer to the classic Moog design?

The Behringer has white outlined rectangles whereas the Moog has vertical and horizontal lines... and the font on the original Moog is Futura. It might also be funny to print the Moog logo on to it (basically, get rid of that ugly 'D').

I could design it, but does anyone know the best way to get it made? Would it be cheaper to simply print a plastic sheet to fit under the knobs or get a replacement metal panel?
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidapple View Post
This is a bit wacky but I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the printed front panel with a printed design that is even closer to the classic Moog design?

The Behringer has white outlined rectangles whereas the Moog has vertical and horizontal lines... and the font on the original Moog is Futura. It might also be funny to print the Moog logo on to it (basically, get rid of that ugly 'D').

I could design it, but does anyone know the best way to get it made? Would it be cheaper to simply print a plastic sheet to fit under the knobs or get a replacement metal panel?
Do whatever you want with yours.

You might check in at the Neutron overlays thread that's going on here at GS, or in the Neutron main thread, there's talk of where guys have those overlays made...
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Do whatever you want with yours.

You might check in at the Neutron overlays thread that's going on here at GS, or in the Neutron main thread, there's talk of where guys have those overlays made...
Thanks
Old 28th August 2018
Here for the gear

It's a good idea this patch-bay. In fact, I use it with a larger matrix, with that of Neutron Behringer. It works in both directions, Model-D => Neutron or Neutron => Model-D Behringer. By combining the two synths, we obtain very interesting results ...
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

This is the first thing that's made me have any interest in the Behringer D. If they would have gone full semi-modular with it in the first place, it would have been way more interesting. Nice work putting this all together.
Old 29th August 2018
Lives for gear

I'm looking into having panels made. I have a connect with a machine shop, and access to another fabrication shop. I'll be comparing the costs of my sources to the usual suspects that small module companies use, but all that is a month off, maybe a bit more, I have too much going on at the moment.
Old 21st September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I'm looking into having panels made. I have a connect with a machine shop, and access to another fabrication shop. I'll be comparing the costs of my sources to the usual suspects that small module companies use, but all that is a month off, maybe a bit more, I have too much going on at the moment.
When you say panels made, are you meaning wider to accomodate a modular side piece like the neutron? as that would be freaking awesome especially if it was the same width as the neutron.

Last edited by brek01; 24th September 2018 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: missed a bit.
Old 23rd September 2018
Here for the gear
Amazing thread. I'm primarily interested in the 1volt/octave CV out. Are you guys saying that I could play the Boog over midi, the Boog will play its own oscillators in tune, as well as provide a soldered CV out for simultaneously driving a eurorack oscillator which will play in tune? In my euro rig, I usually have to use a powered mult to distribute a volt/octave pitch CV because a passive mult induces a voltage drop. Just curious if my described scenario actually works. Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search