The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer Model D - DIY Mods
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

In case anyone's interested, here is the depth of the Boog, the red area is the actual synth, the rest of the Boog case is empty except for a small output section at the bottom of the case (connected with a ribbon cable).

Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
If you want to stick with CV control and play them in unison, then yes, that would probably work, unless the combined load on the CV (particularly for pitch, where it matters) is a bit high, in which case you'd just need to buffer it to stop the CVs "sagging" (getting dragged down to a lower value, by the load) - e.g. with a buffered multi.

Or, if you don't mind resorting to MIDI, there are other possibilities - as Lee said, you can use them polyphonically (poly chaining), or you could use a MIDI THROUGH box like it was a mult - sending the same notes to a number of synths.

FWIW, the MIDI spec is quite generous, so I normally find I can feed MIDI to two synths, just by using a MIDI Y cable, provided I keep the cables fairly short. For more than two, you really do need a powered THROUGH box.
Yep, pretty much that, yet unison is just half the fun.

Apart from polychaining per midi a lot of fun can be had with cv as well, depending on your setup. When testing an individual pitch cv per vco modification I tinkered with a nice little vcv-rack setup with pitch cv and a attenuated vco for fm modulation which brough very nice results with the tri waves in the boog.
Old 17th September 2019
maybe that's lame influencer style, but a couple of folks expressed their interest in supporting my DIY endevours (sh... happens when you solder all night , so I thought I post this here as well. if you feel like supporting my Model D mods, gizza a coffe on https://ko-fi.com/maffez

last version of modding guide was here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...cations_v4.pdf
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
One last version of the rough cut, which is still far from perfect. Will continue later
I found this wonderful module on Modular Grid and it lead me here. Thanks to all the contributors in this thread.

Last edited by xxxdkModexxx; 17th September 2019 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 29th September 2019
Here for the gear
Hi to all Model D players! Here is a sequence of events: I got a Behringer Model D earlier this year; recently got a Moog Mother-32; decided to build a 7U Eurorack (3U/1U/3U) out of oak which I am working on right now; planned to include modifications per the Modification Guide for the Behringer Model D Synthesizer (Version 4)--THANK YOU MAFFEZ. Then I realized that the Model D draws 1000 mA and won't fit with my power supply (Doepfer A-100PSU2). Screeching halt to my plans! OK, so I will leave the Model D in its case, but I want a breakout box, and I don't want to drill 10 or 12 holes in the side of the case.

So, here is my plan: wire the mods from the Model D using a ribbon cable inside the case, and connect the ribbon to a single HDMI socket which I can mount in one wooden cheek of the case. Install an Evaton Technologies Link in my Eurorack, and connect the two units with an HDMI cable from WalMart. Has anyone done something like this? It seems that having a single cable (HDMI, ribbon, whatever) connecting the two units will be neater, safer, and maybe more spontaneous than plugging a whole bunch of cables into the side of the Model D. What do you think?

DS

Last edited by dsimenson; 29th September 2019 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: add picture
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

a uZeus and a $25 powersupply from Amazon will solve your PS issues and let you put it all in one case. Spending that $100 is way easier than your current proposition.
Old 29th September 2019
same thought, Bignatius

Mantis Case also has a lot of power, costs more tho

other than that, vermona have done som ebreakout box for their mono lancet, using a d sub connecot, but that's a thick cable going to the modular; doepfer do something with ethernet cables (7 connections per cable, so that ads up quickly) - depends what's easier/nicer for you tho!

ps. turning the power supply stuff inside the boog case into a panel might also be something doable

Last edited by Maffez; 29th September 2019 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 30th September 2019
Here for the gear
Good advice! But, I wanted to make a breakout box for the BMD mods anyway. If it were all to fit in one case, I was going to put the BMD mod jacks on a 1U tile, probably double-wide, or a 4HP 3U panel. So, connecting the mod wires to an HMDI sockey does not seem like that much more work.

Also, the BMD is 70HP, and the M-32 is 60HP. After getting a few more modules to expand on these two units, my rack is full. If I want a couple interesting modules that are 12+HP wide, I'll need a second case anyway. I appreciate your advice, and I may have specific questions about BMD mods later.

DS
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
Extended . . .
Would you be so kind to share your STL of this extended version? The STLs you shared were only the short ones. I've been looking to make exactly the same mod as you (with the keyboard) and this could be very helpful

Quote:
In case anyone's interested, here is the depth of the Boog, the red area is the actual synth, the rest of the Boog case is empty except for a small output section at the bottom of the case (connected with a ribbon cable).
Do you have a model of the whole new case (including the bottom plate) in stl? Are you going to make the bottom plate out of sheet metal, or print it on your printer?
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazorbeats View Post
Would you be so kind to share your STL of this extended version? The STLs you shared were only the short ones. I've been looking to make exactly the same mod as you (with the keyboard) and this could be very helpful
No problem, I'll upload them later tonight (UK time).

Quote:
Do you have a model of the whole new case (including the bottom plate) in stl? Are you going to make the bottom plate out of sheet metal, or print it on your printer?
Yes I have the whole case as a model.

In the tradition of old timey analog keyboards the bottom plate is wood - I just got my local Homebase™ (any DIY shop with board cutting) to cut some 5mm MDF to size.
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
No problem, I'll upload them later tonight (UK time).

Yes I have the whole case as a model.

In the tradition of old timey analog keyboards the bottom plate is wood - I just got my local Homebase™ (any DIY shop with board cutting) to cut some 5mm MDF to size.

Thanks! Really appreciate your help

On a second thought, it does make sense to make it out of wood. Thanks for the info, I'll contact my local carpenter
Old 5th October 2019
Gear Head

I don't know if this thought will help, but I mounted my Model D in a 19" rack mount adapter. It so happened that the rails on the adapter had nut slots on the back as well as front, so I was able to mount the little circuit board from the back of the Model D case on the back of the top rail. That means that I still have the little DIP switches, IN/OUT jacks, and power connection available, just as though the D was still in its case.

Grey
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Really appreciate your help

On a second thought, it does make sense to make it out of wood. Thanks for the info, I'll contact my local carpenter
Sorry been super busy looking after 3 x 11 year olds (ahhhh !!) . . . will upload the STLs when I get a few minutes . . .
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Sorry been super busy looking after 3 x 11 year olds (ahhhh !!) . . . will upload the STLs when I get a few minutes . . .
It's allright, take your time I'll be waiting for them!
Have you had any chance to advance with your project?
I decided that the model D width is not enough for keyboard with pitch and mod wheel and putting empty eurorack panels on the sides looks "meh" to me, so I am building myself an additional sequencer eurorack panel that will be able to trigger notes on model D via CV. That way I will increase the overall width so I can use 2 octaves of full size keys and both wheels
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search