The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Pittsburgh Primary Oscillator Modular Synthesizers
Old 29th May 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
New Pittsburgh Primary Oscillator

I was checking out Modular Grid and stumbled on this.



I know there's at least one other Pitts fan on this site as it was through you guys that I got turned on to Waveforms. I thought it was weird when Waveforms was discontinued that they didn't have any bread and butter VCO's in their lineup anymore. Looks like this is going to be the followup. I love the layout and design of this. Plus the Fragments and Timbre outputs in addition to Blade are super nice additions. Anybody else got any thoughts on this? Anybody else thinking of getting a couple to replace/supplement their other Pitts oscillators?
Old 30th May 2018
  #2
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
I have never owned a Pittsburgh module, but I like the design of the Lifeforms range. This one is a beauty!
Also seems nice for the price.
Old 7th June 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I was checking out Modular Grid and stumbled on this.



I know there's at least one other Pitts fan on this site as it was through you guys that I got turned on to Waveforms. I thought it was weird when Waveforms was discontinued that they didn't have any bread and butter VCO's in their lineup anymore. Looks like this is going to be the followup. I love the layout and design of this. Plus the Fragments and Timbre outputs in addition to Blade are super nice additions. Anybody else got any thoughts on this? Anybody else thinking of getting a couple to replace/supplement their other Pitts oscillators?
It looks dope to me. The Pitts VCOs are saw core correct? I've been looking for a pair of saw cores that get a little more unruly. I currently have only tri's which track great and do beautiful sines but need work to get the grit. I also like the newer Pitts modules that are more functionally dense. That's one thing that put me off of them in the past with a smaller rack.
Old 7th June 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I saw that.

I kinda have my eye on a Microvolt though, being still stuck in a love affair with semi modular gear. I quite like its sound from the demos I've heard, which I take is basically an example of the 'Pittsburgh sound', full of wavefoldy harmonic richness.

That and their new Sequencer is giving me major GAS.
Old 8th June 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Yes I have been interested in this since their Instagram preview posts. I would love to get one of this to add to my Pittsburgh Double Helix Oscillator
Old 12th June 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I'm too lazy to link it but on Muffs one of the guys from Pitts was doing a little Q&A on this thing. I haven't seen one for sale anywhere yet but it definitely has my attention. I think it could replace my STO which seems pretty basic in comparison.
Old 12th June 2018
  #7
Old 13th June 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Old 13th June 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I think it could replace my STO which seems pretty basic in comparison.
I've got an STO and three of the Waveforms. If you've got the space, I recommend keeping the STO. Way different character to Pittsburgh. The Pitts has this big, beefy, in your face sound to it while STO is... well you know how it sounds. Clean, gentle, but very pleasant.
Old 13th June 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I've got an STO and three of the Waveforms. If you've got the space, I recommend keeping the STO. Way different character to Pittsburgh. The Pitts has this big, beefy, in your face sound to it while STO is... well you know how it sounds. Clean, gentle, but very pleasant.
Yeah I get what you're saying about the STO but that's not why I originally bought it. I can get lovely subtle harmonics with a combo of Dixie 2 and Ultrafold. I wanted something that would do weird waveforms that were not the normal four or variations of them. The STO kind of delivers when you crank the waveshaper but I want something a bit more nasty. I find the waves above 12'oclock on the waveshaper to be kinda thin sounding. Not saying I'd run out to sell the STO. I can't imagine I would make too much off a sale anyway. I'd just like to get something a bit more versatile for my main rig. And the sounds on that pitts video are pretty inspiring.
Old 18th June 2018
  #11
Gear Head
 
Crumbfort's Avatar
 

I'm thinking about getting one to go along with a double helix and 2x STOs. We'll see, we'll see... Part of me also kind of wants another double helix (loving that module) but that kind of seems like complex osc overkill.
Old 20th June 2018
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Yeah I get what you're saying about the STO but that's not why I originally bought it. I can get lovely subtle harmonics with a combo of Dixie 2 and Ultrafold. I wanted something that would do weird waveforms that were not the normal four or variations of them. The STO kind of delivers when you crank the waveshaper but I want something a bit more nasty. I find the waves above 12'oclock on the waveshaper to be kinda thin sounding. Not saying I'd run out to sell the STO. I can't imagine I would make too much off a sale anyway. I'd just like to get something a bit more versatile for my main rig. And the sounds on that pitts video are pretty inspiring.
Try feeding some attenuated off-set into the STO waveshapers cv input. That will give you a much greater range of timbres. I use a Doepfer A-183-2 exclusively for this.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump