The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eurorack setup for drone/pads/ambiences? Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

Eurorack setup for drone/pads/ambiences?

Hello all,

I think it’s happening...after all the ‘no I can’t start going down that rabbit hole of bleeps and blops’ I think I’m *gulp*...going to go modular.

At first I just thought it was all bleepy acid music, but I’ve heard a lot more now and realised you can make pretty much any type of sound you want, with the right setup and knowledge.

I already own a Subsequent 37, Digitakt, MPC and few other bits, but I’m looking to add something for pads, drones (moog is good at this tho) and general ambiences. First I thought a juno or poly6 but the prices seem to get more ridiculous by the day and they are old and do break etc.

So my question is where would I start with a Eurorack setup to achieve what I want? I can build a rack myself (carpenter by trade) but working out where to start with the actual modules is quite daunting!

Thanks

Oh and drum sounds would be nice, but one thing at a time eh.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

To me, good drones and ambiences are in the effects, particularly reverb. There are some good effects in Eurorack, but there aren't many really good reverbs. Maybe a Dot Com 5U system would fit you better since you already like Moog thing? Plus drones through distortion, then filter, then spring reverb on the Dot Com sound really good. The bassy drone in this track was done in this manner: https://organismnoise.bandcamp.com/t...hter-of-apollo
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Nut
If you thought Juno prices were ridiculous, wait till you start shelling out on modules...

I’m relatively new to modular, so I’m not holding myself out as experienced or an expert. The main thing I would flag is that polyphony is expensive. There are few polyphonic sequencers or modules and most signal flow is mono, unless you start duplicating. It take planning and it can be expensive.

That said, for pads, there are multiple options. Chord Organ is cheap, Chord does what it says, Akemies Castle has a chord mode, the 4ms SMR throws out sine wave pad sounds, and pretty much any YouTube ambient video uses Rings or Elements.

You will need a good filter, envelopes, modulation sources, maybe fx (a lot of ambient vids use Lori junky but good luck finding one).
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Mutable Clouds is pretty invaluable for this kind of thing.
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

@Derp is totally correct. Ambient is all about the effects path. Any synth can become ambient with the right sequence and effects.

Where modular shines is in self generative patches and modulation of parameters.

I don't normally do ambient... But here is something done 100 % in a 6u 84hp modular setup. But honestly the heavy lifting here was the Eventide Space pedal.

https://m.soundcloud.com/androiddreams/alone-at-night
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Because the lil Erebus has a built in delay that module alone can quit happily drone away.
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Head

Is starting with a Sv-1 or 0-Coast a good idea for what I’m trying to achieve? Seems better finiancially to start with osc/envelope/filter module, rather than buying individuals
Old 21st May 2018
ps1
Here for the gear

I'm on this same process as well. Been saving for a year. I got a Mother 32 and I think I'm going to get a 0 Coast as a second oscillator. Those two take up a lot of space on a rack but think that will help to keep things under control for me haha. Magneto seems like a must.
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Head

Just discovered the Prophet Rev2...suits my needs perfectly so ima go with that instead
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Addict

1. Take Erica Black Wavetable VCO
2. Add VCF of choice
3. Modulate VCO and VCF
4. Add reverb of choice
5. ?
6. Profit
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search