The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spring Reverb Modules
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Spring Reverb Modules

Hi All

Just been listening to and reading about the new Moog Grandmother.

Despite initial dismissals in the grounds of another mono synth, now I've learned more about what it is and its heritage being the Moog Modular, I have to say I'm really impressed.

Anyway, rather than speak to the kindergarten d1cks over in the Electronic Thread, I thought I'd ask here...

I'm really into spring reverb and was wondering what you all own and what you like etc. in the way of Eurorack.
Old 14th May 2018
Gear Head

None in my Eurorack but I have the dotcom Q115 in my 5U which I love. Never really tempted to smack the case though...
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

I built one of these and have both a digital and Accutronics tanks.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/mtm-spr...verb-mkii-kit/

Really like the feedback function on the Music Thing. It's best described as "dark" in tone with the reverb response being highly dependent on the type of sound you send to it.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post

Really like the feedback function on the Music Thing. Sounds is best described as "dark" with reverb response being highly dependent on the type of sound I send to it.
There's something really beautiful about the front panel on those. Simplistic, but appealing.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear
I was thinking of starting a similar thread a while ago as I have a horrible weakness for springs - probably have at least 10 rackmount/desktop versions, but somehow none in euro yet. So my version would likely have been more about which one first

Doepfer A-119 - these seem to have a very good reputation, kind of like the wasp filter in some ways. Often seems to be more about the feedback loop than people talking about the quality of the verb itself though. At least around here, they are fairly rare, but still cheapish
Music Thing Modular - this has just been updated to mkII with the expander. The thonk kits are great and a good entry to DIY. These can use both digital and real tanks. (Spring 2018 Bundle sale here)
Befaco - I've built quite a few of their kits too, so this also appeals to add to the collection, but also can be ordered assembled. Some funky ideas with built in cv-able mixer/vca too.
Intellijel - on the more expensive side, but presumably also on the higher quality side, and assume this is also what you are after if you want things clean...
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Pardon my ignorance here, but I see RCA send/returns on some of these... is there a spring behind and out of sight, or are the RCAs for the actual use of a separate spring?
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Pardon my ignorance here, but I see RCA send/returns on some of these... is there a spring behind and out of sight, or are the RCAs for the actual use of a separate spring?
My digital tank connects directly to the back of the module, but given how cheap real spring tanks are, I prefer the sound I get from a medium size Accutronics ... It's just about rack mount size, 19" x maybe 2u and about 3 inches deep. Yes, real spring tanks connect passively via RCA cables. I've got a deeper case so if I wanted to, I could probably mount the tank within my case, but for simplicity's sake, my tank is simply stashed behind one of my cases for the time being. Having the tank external let's you play with putting things in the spring like staples or paper clips for fun effects.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivewire View Post
None in my Eurorack but I have the dotcom Q115 in my 5U which I love. Never really tempted to smack the case though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post

Really like the feedback function on the Music Thing. It's best described as "dark" in tone with the reverb response being highly dependent on the type of sound you send to it.
I used to have the Q115 and currently have the Music Thing unit. I liked the Q115 better, but the Music Thing isn't bad.
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Head

Reading Void23 above, I'm definitely gonna get a bigger tank for mine
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

We're gonna need a bigger tank.
Old 16th May 2018
+1 for the Music Thing spring reverb module.

I never got around to buying a Dotcom reverb although I’ve always wanted one. I have a switch on the Music Thing module to select between the tank and the digital chip.

It’s a real easy build and I probably should repanel it into 5U but the cables are fairly long to the tank which is in back. My Euro rack is in a vertical rack cabinet.

The 5U would have to be the same because I use portable cabs from Dotcom. No real room inside those for a tank.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I often chain & mix two q115's together, to get early and late reflections. I think the Q115 is excellent, but I normally bring in a clean signal with the reverb to give me more options in the sample when using a DAW.
Old 17th May 2018
ear nut

I made my own interface with a cheap but good mono amp kit from eBay (£10) as the interface going in. You can go straight into the desk on the way out. Got a tank from ebay for £25 - sounds great. There are some tricks though with eq on send/return and delay that can change from great to awesome - i'll make a vid short about it at the weekend.

You absolutely do not need to spend a fortune here - or even buy a commercial interface.

Edit: by desk i mean modular input too, but you may need a second amp to up the level - you're better mixing it if poss.

Last edited by MrWiggly; 17th May 2018 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Modular clarification
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear
I’ve got a Koma Field Kit FX. Worth a look if you just need more effects in general. Also has a nice mixer and sequencer/envelope.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

I have the intellijel spring reverb module with 3 sized tanks. I mounted the two smaller tanks in the case and the larger one behind them. the medium sized one is the one I always use.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

Really, once you get the interface, tanks are cheap. Play and find the one that works best for you. My Accutronics tank was less than $25 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-power-Accu...5%3A2470955011
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search