The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the DIY projects thread
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Addict

While I'm not ready to document my DIY projects, I am finding it a bit comical that I've
so far spent about $700 to build a $200 Eurorack case. (I needed some stuff)
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

An ikea rast i build some years back, more info Here

Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Addict

Since I had the Z-rails sitting around for a while, I decided to try my hand at making a DIY case.
Literally, its the first wood working project I have done since making a cutting board in high school
shop class over 30 years ago.

Anyway, it's not quite done so these are in progress pics of it fully assembled. I had to order
some hook up wire (cant buy that here) and now I can even out some of the contoured edges
since I have better reference lines available.

Primarily, I made it to sit flat on my desk and hold the modules at an angle for easy reach of
my other cases, but it is reversible and can be used up-right with modules at 90 deg.

It has 2 independently operable Eric Synths power supplies, one for each 84 hp row. 36 headers
total @ 1.25 amps per row. I thought it would look cool to make the back wall out of acrylic,
so I did. It's translucent and not really see-through, but light can pass through. I will likely
put some LED circuits inside for module installations and to give it a cool under glow or back-light
depending on the situation.

Made it from a single (pine I think) board (no ply-wood) and a $20 piece of thick 3/16 inch acrylic.
It's not perfect angle wise, but it's pretty close, every thing fits tight and has to be pressed in.

I am having much fun with it. I have impressed myself enough to begin plans for a custom desk,
work bench and of course, more eurorack cases.
Attached Thumbnails
the DIY projects thread-diy_case1.jpg   the DIY projects thread-diy_case2.jpg  
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Since I had the Z-rails sitting around for a while, I decided to try my hand at making a DIY case.
Literally, its the first wood working project I have done since making a cutting board in high school
shop class over 30 years ago.

Anyway, it's not quite done so these are in progress pics of it fully assembled. I had to order
some hook up wire (cant buy that here) and now I can even out some of the contoured edges
since I have better reference lines available.

Primarily, I made it to sit flat on my desk and hold the modules at an angle for easy reach of
my other cases, but it is reversible and can be used up-right with modules at 90 deg.

It has 2 independently operable Eric Synths power supplies, one for each 84 hp row. 36 headers
total @ 1.25 amps per row. I thought it would look cool to make the back wall out of acrylic,
so I did. It's translucent and not really see-through, but light can pass through. I will likely
put some LED circuits inside for module installations and to give it a cool under glow or back-light
depending on the situation.

Made it from a single (pine I think) board (no ply-wood) and a $20 piece of thick 3/16 inch acrylic.
It's not perfect angle wise, but it's pretty close, every thing fits tight and has to be pressed in.

I am having much fun with it. I have impressed myself enough to begin plans for a custom desk,
work bench and of course, more eurorack cases.
Looks good, man!
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Looks good, man!
Thx man! I learned a lot while making it.
Definitely, it’s worth a shot if anyone is considering building a DIY case.

*The project has seriously got me thinking about a console style desk, with built in rackspace and power.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search