The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict

Behringer Eurorack Modular

Hello everyone,

as you are aware, many of our synthesizers such as Model D, Neutron, Pro-1 etc. have been designed to be used as standalone instruments but also to fit the hugely popular Eurorack format.

Many of you have now requested for us to build individual Eurorack modules, powered Eurorack cases and especially bring back some of the legacy modular systems.

At the same time we also thought about inviting all designers and engineers among you to participate in this initiative.

The goal would be to build a wide range of modules and - as usual - at very affordable prices (target prices US$ 49-99) which would allow us to open this market and get as many people as possible into synths and making music.

Our synth teams are very excited about this potential direction and would love to hear your opinion.

Are you interested in Eurorack systems?
What modules would you like us to make?
What legacy modular systems would you like us to make?
What accessories do you require?

Thank you :-)

Uli

Added: 16/04/2016

We want to collaborate with you

Since I opened this thread a few days ago, I have been approached by some of you and asked if we would consider to manufacture their design in return for a potential design fee.

I think this is a great idea and I truly believe in this vision. It will allow many of you who do not have the funds or experience to enter the market with your designs.

So, if you are a creative designer/developer/small company, we would like to invite you to collaborate with us for us to build modules together.

What does that mean?

You present is with your design (you need to have at least a working prototype) and perhaps show us a video etc. so we can understand your concept.

Provided you are OK with it, we could then post the video here and if there is enough interest, we would consider manufacturing and distributing the product for you. In return we would allow you to get a percentage of the revenue.

At the same time we would be featuring you and your designs so you get the well deserved exposure.

In short, we are willing to share our complete manufacturing, supply chain and marketing power with you, while you can focus on designing great modules. Of course we are more than happy to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) so you are protected.

What do you think?

Uli
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Eurorack Modular-110.jpg   Behringer Eurorack Modular-140.jpg   Behringer Eurorack Modular-182.jpg   Behringer Eurorack Modular-rack.jpg  

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 16th April 2018 at 02:02 PM..
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

For the modules:

- Start with the basic (musical) stuff. A more expensive 99$ (discrete) line with a Moog oscillator, filter, LFO, envelope and mixer based on the Mini and/or Moog modular. A cheaper 49$ line with a 3340 oscillator, 3320 filter, V2164 envelope etc. from CoolAudio.

'What legacy modular systems would you like us to make?'

This:

Last edited by White Falcon; 14th April 2018 at 04:34 PM..
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Hello Uli,

Great initiative. Design a lot of utility modules, A nice clock, turing machine or something like ornament and crime. a complex lfo, complex/wavetable osc. A lofi module. Maybe some drum modules, resonators etc. Also, a good case with power supply!
Old 14th April 2018
Here for the gear
1. Very high level of interest, 99$ for a fully flegded analogue OSC, a great filter and a 50$ envelope would be lovely!
2. A digital OSC and a digital filter bank with combs filters and some models. Ahh, wouldnt be that perfect?
3. System 100 in its full glory. God, i would love it!
4. I will take anything you give hehe!
I would love to have a fully behringery eurorack system. 1k$ for a fully flegded analogue system in eurorack with 2 oscs and a sequencer? I will love it.
Im really hyped for what you will came up, i know you and your team can create great gems :D
Cheers!
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspipe View Post
Hello Uli,

Great initiative. Design a lot of utility modules, A nice clock, turing machine or something like ornament and crime. a complex lfo, complex/wavetable osc. A lofi module. Maybe some drum modules, resonators etc. Also, a good case with power supply!
I just noticed you're based in Manila, too.

Come visit and meet our artwork and industrial designers in our Makati office. They would love to have a chat with you about synths.

Just drop me a PM if you're interested.

Uli
Old 14th April 2018
Here for the gear
Dear Uli,

I was hoping for you to go into this direction. For me, I have always dreamt of owning a Roland System 100m ever since I saw one as a kid, financially way out of reach of course.

Apart from that, I would love modules from as many famous oscillator and filters as possible, CEM, Roland, Moog, Arp, etc. where you could start by using the separate parts of the Model D and Neutron.

As for accessories, affordable casing with power supply, Midi-2-CV and perhaps even automatable patchbays built in would be great!

Thanks,

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Eurorack Modular-roland_system100m_alt_lg.jpg  
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear
I think I will have to buy them.

808 and 909 Analog Drum Voice modules.

BD-8, BD-9, SD-8, SD-9, 3T-8, 3T-9, CL-8, CL-9, RS-8, RS-9, HH-8, CY-8

A 4-Slot Monophonic PCM Sample playback module with different Depth/Rate options and the basic PCM parameters of a Volca Sample.

A PCM oscillator with sample loop start and stop.

TB-303 LPF/VCA/EG acid module

FX modules
-Drive
-Distortion
-Delay
-Phaser
-Chorus
-Compressor
-Reverb

CV merger/splitter

An audio interface module.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Hello everyone,

as you are aware, many of our synthesizers such as Model D, Neutron, Pro-1 etc. have been designed to be used as standalone instruments but also to fit the hugely popular Eurorack format.

Many of you have now requested for us to build individual Eurorack modules, powered Eurorack cases and especially bring back some of the legacy modular systems.

At the same time we also thought about inviting all designers and engineers among you to participate in this initiative.

The goal would be to build a wide range of modules and - as usual - at very affordable prices (target prices US$ 49-99) which would allow us to open this market and get as many people as possible into synths and making music.

Our synth teams are very excited about this potential direction and would love to hear your opinion.

Uli
........ Looks like i'll be getting into modular, Something i thought i would never do.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

oh yeah..
Great
was looking forward to this announcement.
do not know anything about modular but this
is something that will make it a lot more
accessible for bods on limited budgets.

so i don't know what to suggest as first modules.
for some it would be a starter pack with basics and
a decent skiff and power supply, (or just a decent
power supply ) others want to go straight in with
more exotic stuff for existing systems.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Personally I'm more interested in the self-contained larger form factor instruments Behr are putting out. The rackable-desktop form factor they are currently using is pretty much ideal IMHO, since so many of us already have keys. I'm sure Uli could bring useful and interesting range of modules to the Eurorack space, though.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Good morning Uli!

One of the reasons I have not invested heavily into eurorack is because the cases are rarely designed for safe transport. Appropriate for carrying on a plane would be a huge bonus.

So I would also look for, the ability to secure a lid, with cables still attached would be great. Carry handles, maybe luggage handles and casters on a larger format case. Seems simple enough but is a rare feature. Preferably it would look fairly discrete, should not look like expensive equipment or advertise what is inside (for example, the tip top audio mantis has a gig bag..which is fine but then it has modular images printed all over it which is exactly what I would want to avoid).

I would also like a simple small I/O utility module, a basic mixer, which internally duplicates to (4 maybe?) 1/4” output jacks which are mounted on the rear of the case.

Having an internal power supply with standard IEC outlet would be a plus.

Because a lot of people use tabletop based sequencers (example, Beatstep Pro), possibly making the Modular case...Modular...to add a desktop skiff that a sequencer/guitar pedals/etc could be mounted in, and then have it all attach and consolidate into a simple, carryable setup...would be welcome.

Thanks
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

I agree with the poster above. An affordable case and power supply, along with cables would be welcome. But modular is kind of a niche industry. It seems to me the modular market is limited, especially for a volume-dependent manufacturer such as yourself. Stick to what you are doing well. You did mention maybe making a copy of an ARP 2600. That would be nice.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Good quality metal eurorack cases , built in PSUs , expandable . Available in 84hp / 168hp , 3 / 6 / 9u , properly angled for desktop use.
Old 14th April 2018
PES
Lives for gear

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post

An audio interface module.
+1 to that. Would be nice to have a system you could hook directly to the computer with no additional mess. Audio in and out, and midi out from the computer converted to CV/gate so that you could drive it all from your daw.

I think that would be my entry into the world of modular.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Nut

I'll buy whatever modules/cases you put out in a heartbeat
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Uli, don’t worry too much about eurorack and just make a good SP1200 clone please
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

You should really ask this on Muffwiggler, that's where most of the Euro enthusiasts and experts are.

Anyway, an expendable case with a good power supply that can readily integrate with the rest of the studio remains the first barrier to entry, I too would like you to focus on that first.

Beyond that, people getting started with modular seem to do two kinds of systems (someone with more Euro experience correct me if I'm wrong):
- A "cool things" system: a bunch of exotic modules cobbled together just to play around. To support that I think you should make the not-sexy but utilitarian stuff cheap that way people will have money left to buy the exotica of their choice.

- A custom but classic mono synth voice: selected legacy oscillators, filters, etc, in a typical subtractive structure. I wouldn't worry so much about recreating entire classic systems, just provide the key ingredients.

Other kinds of systems that seem popular:
- Ambient systems: self-playing/generative synth and sampled sounds drenched in effects. I think the Deepmind effects would be welcomed here.

- Drum machine/groovebox: a lot of triggers coming from sequencers and hitting all sorts of drum and short sound modules. Discopotato seems to know what's wanted here (even more 808/909).
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

The Minimoog in single modules would be a great thing, or the whole modular linup ( systen 55 )
*******probably the best in commercial terms *******
There is something of AJH synth but I will be sick at the prices.
a real roland system 700 in eurorack would of course be great with cool audio BA662
a modular juno hmmmm DCO, s
EMS Synth 100 fitted kitchen as a module
Orgon Enigizer would be something different than modules ..
FX eventide ps101 Instant phaser.. without it, tomitas sounds would not turn so well in the room

something for the Close Encounters of the Third Kind ?

what does not exist in the modular sector is a reasonable lfo that can be synced to the midiclock, and is in phase displaceable.
Envelopes with shape as in the dm12 are also a foreign word
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Uli
How about resurrecting some of the Polyfusion or Emu modules?
Old 14th April 2018
Maybe I'm the only one who is not interested in Eurorack.

These will be very fun and you will learn synthesis, but I would prefer synthesizers that facilitate the time of work, such as the rack sound modules or I prefer learn to play the keyboard or learn harmony.

Time is gold and there is always little.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Eurorack Modular-yamaha-3colors.jpg  
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Head
A portable & powered skiff rack with a protection cover for traveling would be great.
There are not many options on the market and they are all very expensive.

Roland SYR-E84 84HP Eurorack-Case

Erica Synths Eurorack Travel Case PSU – Musikhaus Thomann

For me it has to be as light as possible for handlugguge travelling:
(3U/104hp and 6U/104hp - Fits within Carry On 55cm-40cm-20cm)

Max Modul Depth 55mm.

Material could be Aluminium, a stable Polycarbonate or even Acrylic.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

A vocoder module based on the circuits from your vp330 clone would be pretty mint
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Two immediate areas that are of great importance and high demand: As others have said, cases. Reliable, affordable, powered cases. Probably in two different formats, one focused on the studio, one designed for travel. And I/O. A module with audio in, midi i/o, both din and usb. USB host capability and class compliant design (adds the virtue of tapping the ios market).
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
How about resurrecting some of the Polyfusion or Emu modules?
Knobcon 2017 - The Return of Polyfusion — Synth Expert Blog

And the oscillators in the polyfusion are CEM3340
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Nut
Hi Uli,

Thanks very much for the exciting news!

I would like to see the kind of modules that help the modular scene keep being a place of innovation, iterative development, or DIY ethos because it is that very kind of development that is what makes modular attractive to its users in the first place. To diminish that kind of spirit, by offering modules that would only be developed with price point or volume in mind (therefore cutting out the little guys) or do not contribute to expanding the scene constructively in some way, would to me be a counter-productive way to enter this growing market segment.

There is an element to making modules that make great business sense, but I don't know if the modular market can well survive the kind of wholesale competitiveness or pyramidal "disruption" that other markets can, because at this stage "low" volumes/returns and small-run products are offset by the value of allowing the end user to explore and build very niche interests. Or at the very least, if many of the small or mid-range producers of strange modules no longer find it viable to explore and do what they do, I think the scene will be the poorer musically for it.

So, I applaud offerings like your Neutron, which I am truly excited by. I hope to see something like that being offered in your modular outings. Or other new and exciting combinations of all the artistic, technological, and manufacturing prowess you already possess, that offer a balanced portfolio of modules we have always wanted but could never afford, and crazy things that allow us to make new sounds. I'm not a business person, nor economically minded, and I only say the above because I know whatever moves you make, just by your sheer volume, might have big repercussions to things I care about. I hope those repercussions will be ones that all the other manufacturers in this (small) scene can also be excited for.

Cheers, and happy wiggling!
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Uli,

Any chance that we'll see modules in formats other than Eurorack, such as 5u? I'm one of those people who never got into Euro due to the ergonomics of the format, i.e. small modules with uneven spacing.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Nut

YES!. Start with cases. I think that's the biggest threshold to come over when starting out and also expand your system as they are so expensive.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

The Behringer modular sortiment should contain things to support the single voices like Model D, Pro One, Neutron etc.

Already easily affordable are Mixers, Multiples, etc.

CV-Sequencers, BBD, VCA, Midi interfaces, output modules... there i see room.

But most of all i would like to see: classic modular oscillators, filters and evelopes as well as your own developments for neutron as single modules with as many CV inputs as possible.
Old 14th April 2018
Here for the gear

This would be a great way to put small makers out of business and end innovation.
We small makers aren't getting rich, all of us would make more money putting our skills to use in other markets. If you want to end innovation, this is an awesome way to do it.
Old 14th April 2018
Quote:
Hello everyone,

as you are aware, many of our synthesizers such as Model D, Neutron, Pro-1 etc
Pro-1? Did I miss something?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search