The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
...and it wasnt the size I was looking for.
It was just an example. They come in all shapes and sizes.
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It was just an example. They come in all shapes and sizes.
And all different prices...seriously dont let it worry you
Old 15th April 2018
Anyway isnt there a subforum for this modular shyte?
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
What would be the advantage of a tube in a utility module?
dont feel qualified enough in electrical engineering to discuss it here, i know is id like some
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's what B are most known for.
"When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption."

When I come play in the UK i'll send you an invite i'll be sure my AP watch shows while I carry out my tiny Behringer euro case full of Rossum and diy modules
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Very good marketing campaign, Behringer, you've really stirred up interest in what I would hazard to guess are actual close-to-realization modules.

With that being said, I'll take some of your Roland System 100m clones for cheap. Hell's yeah! And don't forget that phasor!
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by big ol shea View Post
"When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of you and umption."
So if it isn't low price, what is the Behringer factor that makes you choose Eurorack modular when you haven't up to know.
Educate me.....
What is it behringer will do (in your opinion) that makes Eurorack more of a no brainer, compared to Eurorack without behringer.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Not sure about legacy stuff... As of me, I prefer inventions, new things I didn't even know I actually want.

Still, as some others mentioned, if you came up with things like Ornament&Crime or Temps Utile, that would probably make me a buyer.

Just please don't replicate Mutable modules. It just wouldn't feel right.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmey View Post
[...]
On the business side:
I think Roland's System-1M was a brilliant marketing move - instant modular satisfaction. Yet I wonder about the System 100. Roland doesn't seem to be making a huge effort to expand their Eurorack beyond that, and it could be because it's a hard-sell at retail.[...]
FYI, some more System-500 modules are coming soon.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Here's the elephant in the room.

Eurorack is a fad, and we're approaching the peak of the fad with the introduction of cheap mass-produced modules. The industry moves in cycles (1970s mono synths, early 80s polys, digital synths and workstations through the 1990s, the emergence of softsynths in the 2000s, the rise of Eurorack in the 2010s).

Eurorack is an expensive and fiddly collector's hobby. A desktop mono or polysynth is far more practical than a eurorack system. Patching is fun. Step sequencing is fun. Having oscillators from three different companies is fun. But at the end of the day, my cheap $400 Novation Bass Station II with patch memories and a lack of spaghetti wires all over the control surface is much more musical, useful and transportable.
You've omitted a few key dates there, like the 1960s development of the Moog Modular, the 1970s development of the Roland/ARP/EMU/Korg Modulars, the 1990s emergence of the Doepfer Eurorack standard, and then the last twenty years seeing a sharp increase in manufacturers, modules, home-DIY experts etc. getting involved and making it what it is today.

Very much a fad in the same way those modern indoor toilets are.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

There's nothing fleeting or faddish about the concept of modularity, and it's about damn time that the notion spreads into more hardware being manufactured now. Eurorack form factor is just the more recent manifestation of this concept, and itself a welcome change - especially in the breadth and depth of module options, and thus the extraordinary breadth and depth of options one has in patching various combos of modular and semi-modular gear.

I don't give much of a damn about the eurorack scene, per se, and I can count on one hand the number of dedicated eurorack artists that I even pay any attention to, nor do I care about chasing the trends of what modular company is the trendy one du jour, or what's most popular over at Muffs or anywhere else. The most important parts of that whole scene and the gear is the options it provides for everyone else that isn't in or even interested in said scene. Their concepts are great but I'm on my own path, not trying to be the latest Richard Devine, nor playing in an 80s cover band, or anything else if the sort. Same gear, but way different goals.

CV never should have fallen out of favor in the first place, and the combination of CV and MIDI is an incredibly flexible pair, and I applaud any shift in this direction. The tastes of individual musicians is far too broad to be satisfied by the same handful of Instrument designers. I'll design many my own "instruments", thanks, and I'll do it with the help of modular and semi modular gear, and I'll do so in nearly infinite combinations, many of which aren't even possible even if one had a house full of vintage gear and fixed architecture synths.

Wonderful times, these. Best ever, really.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

I’ve been with Modular since 2000. What I’d love to see in modules from Behringer:

Complex Oscillators
Complex multi function Envelope generator modules
Semi-Modular systems lie the Buchla Easel
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, that's right, commonly.
If you are trying to equate Doepfer with behringer, don't forget that Doepfer innovated this whole platform and were out on their own for quite a while.
They weren't a very late comer, cashing in.
I know that and appreciate it. And I don't equate, they don't share the same history and are pretty different.
The word Doepfer in your statement just seemed interchangeable with Behringer to me.

What's bad about a late comer? Is there any difference to the one who started it? Both are just companies trying to make cash.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Well here’s my ideas,

Complex Oscillator
Complex CV controlled Envelopes

Buchla Style complex modules

Buchla’esque system
Old 15th April 2018
Deleted User
Can I use your sig worthy quote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Careful don’t fall for that, it’s a trapezoid.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Can I use your sig worthy quote?

Go for it mate.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's bad about a late comer?
Absolutely, unequivocally, unwaveringly nothing at all.

The only ones threatened by it are those who fear the competition or those with hipster-ish notions of things being uncool just because they weren't first or some crap.

To early blues musicians, Zeppelin, Floyd, and Sabbath and everyone else are Johnny come lately copycats, but to much of the rest of the world of music fans, no one cares, and we're much better off in a world that has those old Blues musicians and Zeppelin, Floyd, and Sabbath than not. Same applies to Jarre and Vangelis, yes, they were pioneers and got there first, but by a factor of 1000:1 many folks much prefer the Depeche Modes, Orbs, and countless others who followed.

Same as guitar pedals. When I was a kid, it was almost nothing but BOSS, DOD, and a few others, but now, now there are hordes of choices available, and musicians are better off for it.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The reality is, people fear the price of modules in general, and people fear the modular workflow.
I don't fear the price of modules or the workflow, it's a patchbay that allows you to patch one thing into another, my current studio set up has 5 digital and 1 anolog mixer all patched together with wires not really a big deal

Module prices don't bother me either, I have never pulled the trigger on modular because to do so the first thing you need to do is drop a ton of cash on a case.

For $250 I can get a Behringer XR12 with twelve 1/4" in jacks, fantastic emulations of many classic Reverbs, delays, compressors, EQ, Aural Expanders, Chorus, Wave Shapers, and many other cool things and with it's two Aux Outs I can patch in lots of cool rack gear. Using this I can mangle and shape sounds in stereo in anyway imaginable

Or I could spend that same $250 and get an empty box with a power supply
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
So if it isn't low price, what is the Behringer factor that makes you choose Eurorack modular when you haven't up to know.
Educate me.....
What is it behringer will do (in your opinion) that makes Eurorack more of a no brainer, compared to Eurorack without behringer.
Two things
  1. I seriously doubt any modules Behringer produces will be "the same old", aka, not clones of Doepfer, Make Noise, Intelligel etc. I would expect modules that break new ground and probably make use of their mass production capabilities to do stuff that is cost-ineffective for the small module makers, too difficult for DIY (surface mount and dense packages), etc.
  2. "Cheap" eurorack cases are a joke, the cheapest cases worth buying IMO are Doepfer A100 cases, which are seemingly constantly on back-order at analogueheaven or anywhere else in the USA literally for the last 10 years (yes it was a problem even before the euro "fad"), finally i'll be able to just buy a case when i want (this is a regional problem I assume since I imagine everyone in the EU orders simply direct from Doepfer without issue?) I don't know what the EU/UK eurorack scene is like but out here in the USA, when analogueheaven etc are sold out of cases, anyone with access to plywood and wood screws can slap together a case and sell it for $150 and up and they sell. Not to me because, god forbid the eye sore a box of plywood is.

Everyone can benefit from both of these scenarios - except the people out here who have been making a killing off of building bare bones euro cases from what you can get at Home Depot.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

make some CV controllable analog FX
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
make some CV controllable analog FX
Indeed, and not just a single token CV input either, but for all key functions.

And sequencers.

The main reason something like a Cirklon is constantly back ordered and about $2000US is because of the size of the operation. Even if Behringer partnered with small indie firms (much like Roland and Malekko) the *unnecessary* aspects of cost (lack of buying power, expensive labor, lack of access to large scale manufacturing, etc) could be all but eliminated much of the time. I'd wager they could bang out Cirklons for $1000 or less all-day long, with ease, and so on. No need to reinvent the wheel everytime someone goes to make a piece of gear. I'd like to see more smart collaboration and leveraging of each others strengths. Not everyone needs to do every single part.
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Eurorack is a fad, and we're approaching the peak of the fad with the introduction of cheap mass-produced modules.
There maybe a hype around Eurorack, but that system won't die after the hipsters move on. Currently interest is far from declining, it is still gaining attention.

Quote:
Eurorack is an expensive and fiddly collector's hobby. [...] But at the end of the day, my cheap $400 Novation Bass Station II with patch memories and a lack of spaghetti wires all over the control surface is much more musical, useful and transportable.
Even more practical would be a Macbook loaded with GarageBand and thousands of presets instead of a Bass Station II. But somehow you still prefer the Bass Station.

I think it's about a reduction of choices, same goes for a (small) Eurorack system. It prevents the user from scanning through all those presets and come up with something hopeful unique and interesting while spending quality time with a nice physical piece of gear. It's not about efficiency.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Our team has done renderings of potential Eurorack modules related to the legacy 100M system.

We believe we could produce them for around US$ 100 each, of course provided there is enough interest.

Uli
I will get at least 2 of each if these will be made at that price point!
Currently I'm building the System X DIY versions by Frequency Central, and they can use some companion.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
What is a trapezoid generator?

And please dont answer "something that generates trapezoids".
It's a kind of LFO/envelope. I've attached a diagram from the EMS Synthi manual.

What's peculiar about it is that you have these "ON Time" and "OFF Time" that define the two flat portions.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Eurorack Modular-aks_zoid.jpg  
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Anyway isnt there a subforum for this modular shyte?
True...

You will need to report the OP...
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

I for one would like to see modules that do physical modelling of dinosaur lungs/mouths/voice parts.
You could have several models/or modes like tyrranosaurus/stegosaurus/velociraptor and so on.

Preferably like 10 voice or so polyphony so you could play "jump" on them.

Also a guitar module with real strings could be cool. could be called guitar9 maybe?
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
I for one would like to see modules that do physical modelling of dinosaur lungs/mouths/voice parts.
You could have several models/or modes like tyrranosaurus/stegosaurus/velociraptor and so on.

Preferably like 10 voice or so polyphony so you could play "jump" on them.

Also a guitar module with real strings could be cool. could be called guitar9 maybe?

Already exists
Old 15th April 2018
VST
Lives for gear

It seems like they have the programming know how to just start making their own unique modules and not even worry about remaking things.
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
I know that and appreciate it. And I don't equate, they don't share the same history and are pretty different.
The word Doepfer in your statement just seemed interchangeable with Behringer to me.

What's bad about a late comer? Is there any difference to the one who started it? Both are just companies trying to make cash.
The point was about innovating and striking out on a bold path hoping other would appreciate it.
Doepfer did that when he launched Eurorack in the mid-90's.
Not interchangeable with Behringer at all.
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitud View Post
There maybe a hype around Eurorack, but that system won't die after the hipsters move on. Currently interest is far from declining, it is still gaining attention.
I tend to agree with 'reflex'. The current widespread fascination with modular is the same as the current infatuation with vinyl.
It's not that modular isn't exciting, but it's an antiquated way of working, like vinyl is an antiquated way of listening to music.
I got into modular in 1995. Although it was almost the first form of synthesis and was quite popular (if you could afford it) in the late 1960's, by 2000 pretty much no one was interested in modular, just a small band of enthusiasts, and some contemporary musicians who had bought Doepfer systems.
The amount of internet chatter, online videos and modular only stores happening at the moment is an unreal explosion in my opinion. At some point it will settle back down to the core group of people who really like working with modular.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search