The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Eurorack Modular
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Buffered multi will do find for 921A CV distribution as one eyed circuit cat said!

921A is the buffer for the 921B oscillators as well as as the rectangle wave shaper CV source.

921 oscillator, while having a larger footprint, is very versatile as it provides an AUX wave out with its own attenuator. ( use to "dial in" filter modulation ! )

You really can use both in a system for their respective strengths.

Last edited by kt_over_q; 14th November 2020 at 08:26 PM..
Old 14th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Certainly, I have four 921B for fat mono, chords, 4 voice mono and poly, and three 921's for LFO and extra voice duties. I love the 921 - but it needs some additional calibration for triangle and sine symmetry at low frequencies.
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7e91f65 View Post
can you confirm this is true man? i just got off the phone with sweetwater and they are saying i must purchase the 921a driver module for every two 921b oscillators that i purchase or they wont play.
Our modular in the lab has 3 921VC, which don't need anything else. You can have as many as you like of those.

It starts to be an issue if you want to feed CV from a single source to control the frequency of several oscillators. Then you need to have either the

- 921A driver; or
- CP3-AO oscillator control; or
- 992 control voltages; or
- some other buffered multiples.

We have the 992. It has the advantage of a polarizer if we want to invert an input.

But if you are planning to use it as a drone, with a steady frequency, you don't need to have VC control of frequency.
Old 15th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 7e91f65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Our modular in the lab has 3 921VC, which don't need anything else. You can have as many as you like of those.

It starts to be an issue if you want to feed CV from a single source to control the frequency of several oscillators. Then you need to have either the

- 921A driver; or
- CP3-AO oscillator control; or
- 992 control voltages; or
- some other buffered multiples.

We have the 992. It has the advantage of a polarizer if we want to invert an input.

But if you are planning to use it as a drone, with a steady frequency, you don't need to have VC control of frequency.
could i do the same with the 921b though because that's the one i want. also do you think they actually sound like the originals? similar to how close the model d clone sounds to the real thing?
Old 15th November 2020 | Show parent
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
could i do the same with the 921b though because that's the one i want. also do you think they actually sound like the originals? similar to how close the model d clone sounds to the real thing?
I suppose so, you only need the driver if you want to distribute the CV to the oscillators (but there are alternatives to that as I said).

As for how they sound, I don't know whether they are closer or not to the originals if compared to the 921VC. @ SkyWriter has both so he may be able to advise regarding the sound.
Old 15th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry, I don't believe 'The Moog Sound' exists.

This stuff sound good though. So does Moog. That's close enough.
Old 15th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My open space is beckoning for a QPAS.......and maybe an output module...then on to the next rack......EUROCRACK
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 7e91f65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Sorry, I don't believe 'The Moog Sound' exists.

This stuff sound good though. So does Moog. That's close enough.
its more a question of whether or not they sound like the original they are cloning. i have a moog model d and the berringer clone sounds basically identical to the original.

i am wondering if these modular clones can boast the same accuracy because if they can i would probably end up owning every single one of them.
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I gotta be honest I'm still looking at the Makenoise QPAS .. still interested. I wasn't at first but it keeps popping up.
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
I gotta be honest I'm still looking at the Makenoise QPAS .. still interested. I wasn't at first but it keeps popping up.
The QPAS will fill out my 2nd Behringer 55 rack with additional multi mode filtering and the additional of the 2 VCAs for stereo imaging is real plus for me.

Seems to fit the my need very well indeed!
Old 19th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
its more a question of whether or not they sound like the original they are cloning. i have a moog model d and the berringer clone sounds basically identical to the original.

i am wondering if these modular clones can boast the same accuracy because if they can i would probably end up owning every single one of them.
I hear you. I have a Poly D and System B55. The clone sounds very good. They are only schematic clones, there is no tweaking beyond basic functionality on offer here. There is no carefully curated sound, delicate adjustments, binning of parts, or custom anything. They just copied the schematics part for part, and made substitutions where necessary.

There is nobody with a Moog modular is rushing to compare. Even if they did, the range of expression in a modular is so large; that try to compare subsets of sound is more a measure of the operator then the instrument.
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
I hear you. I have a Poly D and System B55. The clone sounds very good. They are only schematic clones, there is no tweaking beyond basic functionality on offer here. There is no carefully curated sound, delicate adjustments, binning of parts, or custom anything. They just copied the schematics part for part, and made substitutions where necessary.

There is nobody with a Moog modular is rushing to compare. Even if they did, the range of expression in a modular is so large; that try to compare subsets of sound is more a measure of the operator then the instrument.
well I guess I should make the case for vintage analog then, they seem to have a different vibe, drift more, feel more "alive". but the drawback in maintenance-cost and well, oscillator drift, can be a burden. I had several ms20 and all the clones around, my vintage one would drift a lot, the psu would buzz, it had a certain feel and charm to it, including the spotty power cable. it was bothersome to use, as it would detune after about 15 minutes, wasn't able to get it stable, so what did I do? well I made sure I was quick recording my ideas, and no longer takes than 10 to 15 minutes at a time. bothersome yes, but it changed the way I approached it, and this is I guess why people still like the old devices, or old amps and guitars for that matter. for me the difference between analog/vintage analog/clone analog is not big enough anymore. back in the day I bought vintage to use it, but merely because there were no other modern analog alternatives. now we live in analog heaven and the pros outweigh the cons of buying new analog/clone analog, vs vintage analog.

I know a guy who plans on retiring on his bunch of vintage gear, he almost has them all, basically a collector/museum guy. needless to say he barely has time to use them, some have defects. I would not do this. come a big crisis, like a fake pandemic that wrecks the economy, people might be pushed to sell these babies for peanuts. of course I could as well be forced to sell my behringer, but why bother?

sound matters, and while you can not always get the 100% experience&sound of vintage gear with more modern gear, there is still a valid case for vintage gear, but is it worth it? I sold most of my vintage synths, including an ms20 and jupiter6 many years ago, but that was merely cause I was moving a lot with my whole studio.

that being said, if money is no issue, and you can afford a dedicated service guy, and have enough space (vintage ones are huge), so essentially all things attainable with mo', then by all means go vintage, there is enough vintage gear around and it has the most flavors.

I agree with skywriter though, the "operator" or musician is way way more key to a sound or composition than the gear. if one wants to split hairs, one could claim that when working minimalistic, the raw sound and vibe of aging components might be giving you an easier time to find something useful to stick with, also bc you get the "this sounds like 70'ies or 80's" insta-karma-bonus and trigger memories of people. this is very attractive for younger people, as they can only dream about what world we were able to grow up and celebrate in, no lockdowns you know, no health pass and total surveillance, you know. vintage gear can open this door, and this is why I refuse to sell my 3 most beloved old gear, even though there are "better" alternatives.

but this is a rather narrow use case. nostalgia as the best argument for vintage gear? that's a little thin. unless you just need to have this CS80 to give everyone goosebumps, then go for it.
Old 23rd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ tomylee , on the MW thread a Moog modular owner posted comparisons of his modular with the Behringer. I think he had similar setups on each and was doing the same things one each, but it just sounded like 'a bunch of synthesizers' to me. I really couldn't tell what the difference was supposed to be - I kept expecting a dramatic difference, but they sounded much more like each other than they sounded different.

He has 10 901's. Which sounds pretty cool too!
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

For me, the biggest difference between vintage analogue and clone analogue now is physical size and the sense of 'scale' that you get with the old synths. You can't make large synths on a small budget.

Also, with modular, it's the 1/4" jack sockets!

OK, there are the 'full scale' clones (hello Korg, Sequential) that come close to the physical experience of the original, but they might as well be vintage for the price they charge for that experience!
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
For me, the biggest difference between vintage analogue and clone analogue now is physical size and the sense of 'scale' that you get with the old synths. You can't make large synths on a small budget.

OK, there are the 'full scale' clones (hello Korg, Sequential) that come close to the physical experience of the original, but they might as well be vintage for the price they charge for that experience!
Oh yeah. Size definitely. The nice thing about the vintage gear is the clunk and thunk of big wooden reverberant cabinets and their percussive 1/4 inch jacks.

Eurorack has clicky jacks and small plastic housings don't resonate.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
I have a question about the Behringer VCO modules.
Is the 921A equivalent to the Moog 901A Exponential Driver
and the 921B equivalent to the Moog 901B VCO?
The behringer ones are based on the revised 1970's Moog 921A and 921B modules.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post

Until the Pro-800 comes out, my only really direct experience with this situation is the Pro One versus the Bro 1. There is the mental association of bigger being better, but I adapted quickly. The Bro 1 is nowhere near as ginormous as the Pro One, but it's got the same sound (to my ears at least) and is much cheaper. Like one of the things that put me off about vintage was the ever-increasing maintenance costs and the burden therein. For the cost of a Pro One repair, I could get two Bro 1's, and find those replacement synths in far less time than it would take me to find, communicate, ship back and forth to, and pay a professional to look it over. Plus the fact that I can actually stick the Bro 1 in a rack is freaking awesome.
Old 4th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
πŸ“ Reply