The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

affordable and small stereo compressor with treshold, ratio controls and sidechain please, thx
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

can this be moved to the appropriate section?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modu...ynths-effects/
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

As much as I love my Roland System 500 complete set, I'd be all over a potential Behringer set in a heartbeat, if only as a second, or heck, 3rd synth voice. I've seen Vince Clarke's wall of 6 System 100m, and if Uli's vision is my vehicle for replicating that, you can invoice me now.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude View Post
I've seen Vince Clarke's wall of 6 System 100m, and if Uli's vision is my vehicle for replicating that, you can invoice me now.
My thoughts exactly. Uli, I like your module concepts. I'm sure people will want all sorts of diverse modules, but I think the System 100 modules you've got is a great place to start.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I'm not talking about making my own, I'm talking about Behringer making them in their own brand new state of the art factory, which is what this thread is really all about.

Many, many people won't venture into modular land because the cases are outrageously priced to them, the value of the case relative to the price being asked is just not there, so we stay away.

For others the draw of modular outweighs the costs and as such the value of the case relative to the price is there. There are not many of these people which is why it's currently a niche market

If I could get an inexpensive case, with a power supply, drop my Behringer D into it and add some inexpensive modules, I would be very interested in exploring modular land, until that day comes, I will happily spend my money on other things

I am sure many other people would as well
so what about guitar cases, road cases, desks to put gear on, don't see people whinging about the cost of those..?

your eurocase economics is skewed for some reason. The case is an integral part of the instrument you are building, it has to be powered correctly and not noisy or underpowered, the case is as important as the modules, maybe more so.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
The case is an integral part of the instrument you are building, it has to be powered correctly and not noisy or underpowered, the case is as important as the modules, maybe more so.
From outside the modular world I read that as the PSU is an integral part of the instrument. I'd be putting stuff in 19", so it just needs rails.. doesn't need to be made from dinosaur wood to give it extra mojo or whatever
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
From outside the modular world I read that as the PSU is an integral part of the instrument. I'd be putting stuff in 19", so it just needs rails.. doesn't need to be made from dinosaur wood to give it extra mojo or whatever
so you don't like good looking synths/drum machines with nice wooden end cheeks and thoughtful ergonomics I take it..?
Old 15th April 2018
A basic start-up system for me would be:

a 2 combo - an analog oscillator + a digital oscillator with wavetables

a 2 LFO combo module

a Filter or a combo with 2 filters with different "tonalities"

a double ADSR module (or DelayADSR even better)

a VCA module

a dual Phaser/Flanger module

a dual Delay/Reverb module

a MIDI interface

Audio Outs (stereo outs, headphones, panning....)

Then Later some more wild stuff....

For me this would be a great place to start if it were affordable....

Last edited by Aiki1; 15th April 2018 at 03:38 PM..
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

I think the romance w modular is going to end soon. I see the korg odyssey as a good example. It's just so hard to get a sound out of it. I remember the korg at guitar center just sitting there. No one could make a sound on it. There is something to be said for recallable presets. JMHO
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
so you don't like good looking synths/drum machines with nice wooden end cheeks and thoughtful ergonomics I take it..?
No, I'm totally for that. But it shouldn't cost what it does to get the basic rails and power to everything..

For cases, like everything, it should scale up to as much as people want to pay for custom beautiful designs with ancient woods in interesting curves and such..

I have seen rails cheap enough, so probably what I'm interested in is a PSU design that can power 4+ rows of 84HP. This would be trivial in the PC PSU world, so is a linear design that can power everything really so much more difficult?
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlade View Post
I think the romance w modular is going to end soon. I see the korg odyssey as a good example. It's just so hard to get a sound out of it. I remember the korg at guitar center just sitting there. No one could make a sound on it. There is something to be said for recallable presets. JMHO

what the..???
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I much prefer full voices like you already done. I used to have a 5u and still have a eurorack modular but I've sold almost all single modules that are not effects. I just hate to have to use spaghetti just to make a basic sound. I rather see you continue do full voices like arp2600, vcs3, mono/poly and easel
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
I much prefer full voices like you already done. I used to have a 5u and still have a eurorack modular but I've sold almost all single modules that are not effects. I just hate to have to use spaghetti just to make a basic sound. I rather see you continue do full voices like arp2600, vcs3, mono/poly and easel
Perhaps what they should do is go ahead and make a System 100M clone and sell it either as a full voice or individual modules.

But I agree, the main synth I want to see is the 2600. The System 100M is second on my list. The Pro One as well, but it seems they're already doing that.

Perhaps there could be bus cables inside to "hard-patch" some of the modules to allow them to behave like a semi-modular.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru

What about fake eurorack, a complete system that you couldn't pull apart, but looked just like a euro system and had all the same patch points and voices etc, endorphines did one recently with their shuttle system, be a cool new synth type I reckon, you could keep the costs down this way and not have to mess with rails or power supplies as it would be powered like any other synth, just it would look like a euro system.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hello everyone!

I got into Eurorack about 1,5 years ago and in retrospective I do not know, why people are always whining about cases. An affordable case costs about 2€/HP. If you build it yourself, you can get below 1€/HP. Module cost however ist somewhere between 10€ and 50€.

But coming to the original question: Looking at Eurorack and what Behringer (and Musictribe) already has to offer, why not start with effects. Behringer offers affordable effects with good algorithms like the Echo Machine EM-600 or Reverb Machine RV-600. Offering them as modules with CV-Inputs for parameters and also cases for use as a Guitar effect with input and output would be a perfect start in my opinion. Only recently Strymon and Eventide are entering Eurorack and offering quality effects but at high prices. Of course you can get other effects already, but not the bread-and-butter effects with good algorithms at low prices. And with TC Behringer also has access to excellent effect algorithms.

But of course I would also be interested in oscillators, EGs, VCAs, Filter, but apart from a low price Behringer would not offer anything new for me here.

Best regards,
Thomas
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm contantly miffed that people say cases are expensive, there are cheap cases and expensive ones like in any area of life. Those who complain cases are expensive please put down what you want and a cost I'm genounely interested in what you think a cheap case is..
But they are, I went for the cheapest solution. Doepfer DIY 2x84.

Thats 150.- Euro for nothing. No sound comes out of it.

And experienced people keep saying: Buy the biggest you can afford.

Including Midi interface and an output module even cheap entries into Eurorack costs as much as a Model D and a Neutron together. They come with case, midi and output.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac
I got to agree about effects. There is a lot you could do with CV controllable effects, though I wasnt thinking about the pedals, more like the effects that are built into the Deepminds or the behringer desks.

Other than that of course there will always be a market for reasonably priced Oscillators, filters, envelope generators, etc..

On the fence about cases and power supplies, but it’s always good to have options.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
But they are, I went for the cheapest solution. Doepfer DIY 2x84.

Thats 150.- Euro for nothing. No sound comes out of it.

And experienced people keep saying: Buy the biggest you can afford.

Including Midi interface and an output module even cheap entries into Eurorack costs as much as a Model D and a Neutron together. They come with case, midi and output.
deary me, does a guitar case make sound, or a table or chair, does everything have to make a sound..? silly talk
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Our team has done renderings of potential Eurorack modules related to the legacy 100M system.

We believe we could produce them for around US$ 100 each, of course provided there is enough interest.
I'd be very much into that!

Classic modular systems (Roland 100m, Moog modular)
classic semi modular synths (Arp 2600, V/Oct MS20)
along with modern effects (think Musictribes guitarpedals and DSP fx)

That would be awesome
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
deary me, does a guitar case make sound, or a table or chair, does everything have to make a sound..? silly talk
I see your argument. Its not about price per se. Rather an entry barrier that doesnt exist with other gear. One doesnt buy an empty guitar case first, then cables. And the guitar sometime later when.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

There is quite a good reason, why case and module cost in Eurorack is that high. And it is simple economics: low quantities. This increases a lot the development part of the price, while the parts price is low. Most of the Eurorack companies are quite small and I would assume, that only a few modules are sold a lot more than a thousand times. Same for cases, PSUs, etc.

Looking at a Doepfer PSU3, it costs 150 Euro. Looking at a Meanwell RT-65B, it is 23.

So to reduce prices, you have to raise the quantities. And for Eurorack you then also have to increase the demand. For me, the Neutron is an excellent and affordable starting point. But to get new people in, a low priced case would be a must. And offering a Guitar Pedal case at a low price would also open new markets.

Last edited by trustme; 15th April 2018 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'd like to see a case that would hold the trio, Model D, Pro 1 and Neutron plus maybe 84hp free space for other modules like some complex digital oscillators, fx etc.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac
We need more effect modules in eurorack. just please not another delay!
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Also please clone all the buchla stuff for eurorack!
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
You are making 2 mistakes here.

1. The entry of Behringer will expand the customer base. Especially if he comes along with a rack + power solution for 99.- and therfor finally making the entry to modular accessable for everyone.

2. The entry of Behringer will push out loads of the "rogue builders" in eurorack. Innovators like Olivier or enablers like Doepfer or Ladik will feel it for certain products (Osc, filters mostly) but will profit from it in other lines (utility, specials).

The problem of modular builders is the gazzillion of small guys, not the 2 to 4 bigger players (DSI, Moog, Roland, Behringer).
From what I understand modular is an addiction. It's like a model train hobby. Starts with a few yards of track and couple cars and works its way up to fake mountains, artificial sunrises, and entire cities taking over your whole garage. The problem is the barrier of entry on eve a simple system. Don't you think if people start their train set with behringer trains and tracks they are also going to want components from other people?

This stuff is not like a single synth, it's a system. The small makers will sell more components from the mass audience behringer will lay the foundation with. I've owned an small EML modular and it was great fun, it just grew to be worth too much money and I had to sell it. Trust me, I've longed after Make Noise and Pittsburg etc, but at those kind of prices I just can't buy all the pieces to get a system started. If Uli comes along and gets me in for a few hundred bucks, no doubt over time I will want to add in some other stuff they don't make. Behringer will be aimed more at keeping it simple. I don't think they would make an advanced expensive oscillator like a DPO. (I would love it if they did though) Sometimes there's also just flavors of stuff other companies/people will make that you will just like.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Modules I would really want:
Trapezoid generator/vca
Ring modulator
Trapezoid generator
Diode filter
Trapezoid generator
Simmons sdsv kick/Tom's and snare
Linear vca's
Quad linear vca's
Quad function generator
Did I mention a trapezoid generator?
(or just a vcs3.... That would be super)
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
From what I understand modular is an addiction. It's like a model train hobby.
I stopped reading right there.

Your basic premise is wrong.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seepaxton View Post
Modules I would really want:
Trapezoid generator/vca
Ring modulator
Trapezoid generator
Diode filter
Trapezoid generator
Simmons sdsv kick/Tom's and snare
Linear vca's
Quad linear vca's
Quad function generator
Did I mention a trapezoid generator?
(or just a vcs3.... That would be super)
What is a trapezoid generator?

And please dont answer "something that generates trapezoids".
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is a trapezoid generator?

And please dont answer "something that generates trapezoids".
Careful don’t fall for that, it’s a trapezoid.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru

The idea for a bunch of Behringer effects modules is a good idea, there is a bit of a hole in this area imo, good quality digital effects that are already available in rack modules transferred to modules would be great. Still think a fake euro synth would be awesome, a kind of Arp 2600 but Behringers own flavor and colours, there is so much you can do in this area of synths imo, large front semi modular with tons of patch options and again great effects. Imagine a large front 6U Neutron with extras and loads of patching..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search