The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Eurorack Modular
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
100M don't forget.
The 100M has been pretty easy to get hold of, although obviously quite expensive now.
The 100 is rarer and a lot more expensive.

Funny though I agree, no one has touched System 700, either as a full blown copy/clone, or individual modules in Eurorack.
Ive built the system 700 filter in eurorack kit from frequency central
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Lot's of duplication there. But you know what I think about big systems.
This is why, though I understand it, I'm still not satisfied with the download a screenshot and post the image system. Right after I posted that, I cleaned it up a bit, but I'm still not convinced that this is all of the modules with their corrects sizes/power specs.

But yeah, I know there's a lot of duplication, especially concerning oscillators, but I'd like to keep their patching paradigms isolated for this exercise. And then I know the Pro One oscillators are in the Neutron, but the Pro One is a mean mofo and the Neutron has a really good distortion/echo system that I'd like to keep together. Basically, if this happened, it would be separate from my main Euro system. The idea is to put these in a pair of racks, stick a pair of samplers up top, and have an all-in-one vintage synth/sampling machine.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Don't cross the streams.

(I keep mine separated, too.)
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Can somebody explain to me what the appeal is of racking all these Behringer semi-modular synths? They are all some wide, HP-hungry beasts. Rack space isn’t cheap and can certainly be put to better use.

Overall, I think B is going find eurorack a tougher but to crack. To think of all the really innovative technology and ideas that are happening in the eurorack space, and Behringer is coming with these clones of old stuff. I don’t mean to knock systems like the 100 or 55, these systems were legendary in their time but it barely scratches the surface of what is possible in eurorack now.
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldslsdrkwlya View Post
Can somebody explain to me what the appeal is of racking all these Behringer semi-modular synths? They are all some wide, HP-hungry beasts. Rack space isn’t cheap and can certainly be put to better use.
Mainly it's to integrate them more easily with the other modular gears. (HP doesn't have to be expensive if you do DIY or have some other dirt cheap method of attaining rack space like I've got.) But also, they pack a lot of functionality into that space. The Neutron is pretty much 168HP worth of utilities crammed into that space. Not only does it make a great centerpiece for those new to modular, but it's a hell of a good expander for preexisting modular gears.

Quote:
Overall, I think B is going find eurorack a tougher but to crack. To think of all the really innovative technology and ideas that are happening in the eurorack space, and Behringer is coming with these clones of old stuff. I don’t mean to knock systems like the 100 or 55, these systems were legendary in their time but it barely scratches the surface of what is possible in eurorack now.
Not necessarily. Those of us that like the weird and wacky are a vocal minority. You've gotta keep in mind that people coming into modular are usually looking to build an East Coast voice with swappable parts. Look at a lot of "just getting into modular" posts, and they're often asking which filters are best, which oscillators are the fattest, and ...polyphony. *shudders* Guys like Doepfer and Pittsburgh still move massive product despite the existence of Mutable Instruments and Make Noise. There's even guys like AJH and Aion that pretty much exist just to clone vintage. I think Behry is trying to race to the bottom by making clone modules at bargain prices. Oscillators of the quality of the 901 or 921 are pretty expensive. If the MiniMoog was just Moog Modular components slapped together under a fixed panel, then the fact that Behry put one out for $300 pretty much signals that they can undercut all of the competition in this department.
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Addict

It's unlikely that I will ever have a huge system like Derp, but if I did there are a couple things I would definitely do.
1: I would make a video with the rig dressed up like an alter with someone praying or sacrificing something to it.
2: I would get a macro lens for my video camera and film a full starwars deathstar attack run in macro over it.
It would go on for freakin ever. That would be awesome!
Old 24th January 2020
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
It's unlikely that I will ever have a huge system like Derp, but if I did there are a couple things I would definitely do.
1: I would make a video with the rig dressed up like an alter with someone praying or sacrificing something to it.
2: I would get a macro lens for my video camera and film a full starwars deathstar attack run in macro over it.
It would go on for freakin ever. That would be awesome!
2: Awesome !
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
some other dirt cheap method of attaining rack space like I've got
Do tell
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Old 24th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Mainly it's to integrate them more easily with the other modular gears. (HP doesn't have to be expensive if you do DIY or have some other dirt cheap method of attaining rack space like I've got.) But also, they pack a lot of functionality into that space. The Neutron is pretty much 168HP worth of utilities crammed into that space. Not only does it make a great centerpiece for those new to modular, but it's a hell of a good expander for preexisting modular gears.

Not necessarily. Those of us that like the weird and wacky are a vocal minority. You've gotta keep in mind that people coming into modular are usually looking to build an East Coast voice with swappable parts. Look at a lot of "just getting into modular" posts, and they're often asking which filters are best, which oscillators are the fattest, and ...polyphony. *shudders* Guys like Doepfer and Pittsburgh still move massive product despite the existence of Mutable Instruments and Make Noise. There's even guys like AJH and Aion that pretty much exist just to clone vintage. I think Behry is trying to race to the bottom by making clone modules at bargain prices. Oscillators of the quality of the 901 or 921 are pretty expensive. If the MiniMoog was just Moog Modular components slapped together under a fixed panel, then the fact that Behry put one out for $300 pretty much signals that they can undercut all of the competition in this department.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying that if I had a Neutron I would leave it in the enclosure it comes with. The idea of having a huge case like the Go case, and filling it up with these semi-modular desktop units is just bizarre to me, and seems more geared to people who want to quickly be able to impress their civilian friends when they tell ‘em “yeah, I got into modular” and they pull out this case and it’s full of knobs and cables.

I’m assuming people will do that, because that’s what the ads show. Load up a big case with Neutrons, CATs etc. Just know that with a much smaller case, and a better selection of modules, you can do MUCH more.

And let’s not forget all of the other manufacturers who are also making affordable eurorack modules. Dreadbox, Doepfer, many more. I think the Dreadbox chromatic modules are much more interesting, for similar money. Maybe because they didn’t just copy some old designs.
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
Do tell
20u racks and TipTop Rails, Ears, and Power. $620 for 504hp. Basically $1.23 per HP. Even the Mantis can't get below $1.61 per hp.

Last edited by Derp; 24th February 2020 at 05:47 PM..
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I’m not saying you’re wrong.

Quote:
...but you’re wrong.
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
20u racks and TipTop Rails, Ears, and Power. $620 for 504hp. Basically eighty-one cents per HP. Even the Mantis can't get below $1.61 per hp.
Ah so not dirt dirt cheap then - I got 416hp second hand last week for £73
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ah so not dirt dirt cheap then - I got 416hp second hand last week for £73
Damn, that is cheap!
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah so not dirt I got 416hp second hand last week for £73
does her husband know?
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
does her husband know?
Might well have been ‘er doing the selling!
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear

I've never calculated the $/hp for my DIY cases.

Let's see:

* $55 cheap pedalboard case (24"x16"x[4"+1"])
(12Ux114hp as configured now, 18Ux114 max)
* $80 uZeus w/o Power Supply
* $25 generic Power Supply from Amazon
* $70 for 2x MDLR bus boards w 20 connectors/ea
* $10 piece of 1" wide 1/8" thick steel (rack sides)
* $120 for 12Ux168hp of rails, then I cut to 114hp
* $20 for misc parts and junk

$380 for 12Ux114 (452hp)

So ~$0.84c/hp for me.

And that's with a custom 114hp/24" width and with 2x Bus Boards (40 connectors total) instead of Flying Bus Cables (which bug my OCD).

Not bad, especially for my first try.

I could squeeze 18Ux114 in there if I wanted to. A full 9U per case-half... That would bring the cost down quite a bit. Like:

* $380 for the 12U, plus:

* add $35 for a third MDLR Bus Board
* add $60 two more pairs of 168hp rails
* add $25 for misc parts

So, $500 total for 18Ux114 (or 684hp) = $0.73/hp.

It doesn't account for the value I get from the ~54hp sets of rails I have leftover each time I cut a 168hp pair, nor does the above account for my time and effort doing the DIY. To me it's very easy.

ymmv

A pic from a few months ago, showing 12Ux114:

Old 26th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
Dear Behringer:
Could you consider building a Quad ADSR module
like the A-141-4.
What's wrong with the A-141-4? Doepfer is pretty affordable as is.
Old 27th January 2020
d3x
Here for the gear

Quote:
20u racks and TipTop Rails, Ears, and Power. $620 for 504hp. Basically eighty-one cents per HP. Even the Mantis can't get below $1.61 per hp.
1008HP case that I've got for free to be fit with rails and PSU :

https://www.adverts.ie/keyboards-and...-case/19659910

3x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...a53b4c4dUb4AIX 74 USD

3x 12v 2A / -12V 1A / 5V whatever A

and 3x Double frame 168HP - > https://clicksclocks.de/ (waiting for the $$ est)

and 3x https://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Ke...0085934&sr=8-9 1GBP each

Not sure how much per HP but this will be a amazing case !!!!

https://i.imgur.com/pGGTV7g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mXxbnpe.jpg
Old 27th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x View Post
1008HP case that I've got for free to be fit with rails and PSU :

https://www.adverts.ie/keyboards-and...-case/19659910

3x https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...a53b4c4dUb4AIX 74 USD

3x 12v 2A / -12V 1A / 5V whatever A

and 3x Double frame 168HP - > https://clicksclocks.de/ (waiting for the $$ est)

and 3x https://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Ke...0085934&sr=8-9 1GBP each

Not sure how much per HP but this will be a amazing case !!!!

https://i.imgur.com/mXxbnpe.jpg
1 amp on the neg 12 v rail, isn't that great for such a large case (even at x 3). Just sayin...
Old 27th January 2020
d3x
Here for the gear

Quote:
1 amp on the neg 12 v rail, isn't that great for such a large case (even at x 3). Just sayin...

On the bottom there is total power used by all modules I have, and ATM on 406HP I'm using 800~mA on -12. I think it will be fineBut we will see, I can always add a PSU for -12
Old 27th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x View Post

On the bottom there is total power used by all modules I have, and ATM on 406HP I'm using 800~mA on -12. I think it will be fineBut we will see, I can always add a PSU for -12
It's more about balance to avoid switching, which can cause noise.
Old 27th January 2020
d3x
Here for the gear

Quote:
It's more about balance to avoid switching, which can cause noise.
Ah, I didn't think about that.
Old 29th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
100M don't forget.
The 100M has been pretty easy to get hold of, although obviously quite expensive now.
The 100 is rarer and a lot more expensive.

Funny though I agree, no one has touched System 700, either as a full blown copy/clone, or individual modules in Eurorack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAGc...NFhAP_HXFin2Mg
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
WoW!
That is amazing!!
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Vince rocking the System 700 in this video:
Old 29th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Vince rocking the System 700 in this video:
Literally
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

Is there a release date associated with that Go case?
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

That C64 tee is bomb.

Module sounds good, too. The Mixers and multiple Modulation inputs with attenuators are a nice touch. Lot of value there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search