The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
to ajh .. normal smd equipment .. sound like a model-d looks like a model-d ... if this is worth the extra charge

"Handmade in England". Nice.

Yes, I admit, that does have value to me.

It's a lot more expensive than cynicism, though.

Cynicism is cheap.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
"Handmade in England". Nice.

Yes, I admit, that does have value to me.

It's a lot more expensive than cynicism, though.

Cynicism is cheap.
yes this hand-made smd ..
there is really @ vermona, where women serve the boards with the help of hand-operated tools.
if it brings something .. rather not .. is more that you can not afford the right machines .. production time increases immeasurably
no idea what's supposed to be cynical about it

interesting machine

and clearly .. no arguments = troll .. hee go out it has snowed fresh
can write down what is better now @ ajh ..
component quality .. no
production quality .. no
maybe something will come to your mind, feng shui or something like that

Incidentally, I have no idea if ajh is equipped with these hand-operated machines.
.. or externally in automated machines ..
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
bleep bloop is good at describing the normal eurorack spaghetti salad very well .. there are thousands of chilling videos online
Indeed there are. And, of course, these videos dictate exactly what can and can't be done with modular, right? So why should anyone not wanting to make bleeps and bloops even bother?

You know, I think maybe it's time you up'd your game, pppch. Instead of relying on the tired cliché that "normal" modular music is bleeps and bloops, perhaps you should admit you know this isn't true, and then go from there.

You might discover powers you never knew you had--even for trolling.

Call it next level trolling.

Troll 2.0.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Incidentally, I have no idea if ajh is equipped with these hand-operated machines.
.. or externally in automated machines ..
I'm also not sure how AJH defines "handmade".

My main point was that the notion of "Handmade in England" appeals to me.

But as I already confessed in an earlier post, I'm the sentimental type.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I'm also not sure how AJH defines "handmade".

My main point was that the notion of "Handmade in England" appeals to me.

But as I already confessed in an earlier post, I'm the sentimental type.
handmade is when you turn on the machine by hand ..
I happened to find the first honest company ..
artisan | modules
Assembled by Hand in the USA
that's honest .. the rest is hmmm fantastic

By the way, lovingly handcrafted is my favorite handmade, because X*C is given to the employees

handmade ignored .. it is always reported on high-end synths / modules ..
new to me is the krell or mark levinson synthesizer build ...
I've been waiting for the swissmade studer synth for a long time. Chandler would be cool too
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Personally, I am looking forward to see what the other 29 modules from Behringer will be. They are starting with what they think/researched people would want... but that' just the first 11.
Even these first 11, I mean, they are not the first Company to clone Roland synths or parts of Roland synths... modular or desktop (e.g. juno filter, 808 and 909 kits, etc...) - Adding more options I guess, like others did before them

About AJH Synth Mini Mod modules/system, they did not simply clone the original but they did add more features...
I go over the additions made over the original Model D in this video, I think past the 5 min mark, but there is a
'clickable timed Index' in the video description (under the video) to jump to specific sections.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
< Over here it was in the middle of the night. I do need to sleep sometime. The thread will not be "nuked" (so messy! ) but instead I'll join it with the existing Behringer thread (where the original announcement of the modules' release was made). Please, if you want to participate, be polite, and no political issues (again). Thank you. >
It's unclear how anything I said can both be considered political and at the same time meaningfully different from numerous other posts in this and every other similar thread where this "debate" rages on again and again. If I'm being political then so are many others, almost everyone, in fact, some so thinly veiled it's funny.

The very "debate" itself, the ethics and concerns over clones and the feared risks to smaller manufacturers and everything associated with it, is by its very nature political. I didn't bring politics into a thread without any, I responded in kind when other people dredged up the same junk we've all seen 50+ times already, as though it was new, novel, or whatever else.

I'll take my lumps for being short and snarky about it. You're right. I could and should be less prickly that way, and I apologize. It's a fault of mine, and I'll own it.

And I never thought or meant to imply you or anyone weren't doing a good mod job with my comment last night, I was honestly surprised the same old same old was happening again and one of you hadn't already stepped in to "head it off at the pass". You're a busy guy, a friendly and helpful guy, and I respect you tremendously.
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post
I was looking at the 110 because I'm the kind of guy who likes having self contained voices on hand.

BUT ... I wondered about the size of the faders.
...........snip.....

I think this might be a problem.
possibly. some users said they had some issues with the size of the sliders of the Roland modules.
Old 6th January 2019
@RunnyKine thanks for the praise. I need to do more though! (new year's resolution )

The whole political thing is a minefield IMO. Sometimes you'd have to walk an invisible thin line. So, at some point, about 10 years ago, the chief of GS decided to only allow non-political stuff. Since then it's a sort of "neutral ground" which IMO works out better for everyone in the long run. It's just not the purpose of the forum. Sometimes it's really difficult because economics and manufacturing mix with politics, I do understand that, and (again) a lot of things are changing in the world. But if we're friendly and empathic towards each other here, it'll be ok.

Thank you
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Maybe affordable in your bubble, but not so in someone else's.
I love how you people put anyone with a different perspective down...in a personal attack way.
In my ‘bubble’?
I’m just reflecting the facts.
Average pricing for a basic oscillator from a range of manufacturers runs around £200-250.
Any oscillator more complex or digital trends between £300 and £600.
AJH can be readily found used or discounted?
That’s just the facts.
I never said they were as cheap as Behringer (49 to 99).
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I love how you people put anyone with a different perspective down...in a personal attack way.
In my ‘bubble’?
I’m just reflecting the facts.
Average pricing for a basic oscillator from a range of manufacturers runs around £200-250.
Any oscillator more complex or digital trends between £300 and £600.
AJH can be readily found used or discounted?
That’s just the facts.
I never said they were as cheap as Behringer (49 to 99).
used from time to time .. at least ..
but there are more authentic modules

AION MODULAR Eurorack Synthesizer Modules
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

If that 110 module is $100 well that's fairly exciting.

I was offered the set of Malekko/Roland with case for $1500 AUD. No thanks, very low quality and terrible placement of some sliders/jacks.

I wonder how well the B stuff will sell since nobody bought the Roland modules.
Old 7th January 2019
Prove ‘no one’ bought the Roland modules?
And secondly - very low quality?
That’s absolute nonsense.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah this is the kind of stuff that really cheeses me off and makes me think people live in a bubble.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you buy them?

Stores here will sell you the set for 2 grand which is half the price they were released at.

In my opinion low quality yes. Try even using that filter with cables plugged in, you need tweezers.
Old 7th January 2019
Yes, I have most of them.
The ergonomics are not the best, but the sound quality and build quality are excellent.
Their rrp is expensive, I agree.
Old 7th January 2019
I bought ‘open box’ b stock and some when they were on discount.
The worst module is the envelope, with short throw faders that make fine adjustment very hard.
The oscillators, filters and vca are excellent.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

That's fair, they do sound great and the dropped price is decent for what you get.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

in tests you read:
light signal Bleed when VCA is on EXP, although Initital = 0
external power adapter develops a high frequency beep
10 and 20 kHz beeps at long delay times

good is different
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux302 View Post
those knobs look mighty tight together. but I am hopeful... I am looking forward to these modules quite a bit. need some testing?
Modular is not exaclty designed for ergonomics; those damn cables get in the way of the knobs too!

Once upon a time synths had digital patching and microprocessor control to make things easier.

Old 7th January 2019
Quote:
in tests you read:
light signal Bleed when VCA is on EXP, although Initital = 0
external power adapter develops a high frequency beep
10 and 20 kHz beeps at long delay times
Tests of what?
Old 7th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Modular is not exaclty designed for ergonomics; those damn cables get in the way of the knobs too!
Talking about modern affordable modular yes. But all the original modulars were much bigger, with more room.
Buchla 100, Moog, Arp 2500, Serge etc....
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tests of what?
roland system 500
Old 7th January 2019
Quote:
roland system 500
I haven't experienced any of those problems.
I'm not using the Roland case either.
Old 7th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC8364R7 View Post
So chrisso, due to posting - are you finally interested enough in the these B units to evaluate them?
Not a whole lot, because as I said a few posts ago, anyone who has been into modular for a few years already has a boatload of basic, bread and butter modules. As I said a few posts ago, I only buy three or four modules a year and they tend to be different concepts, something newish.
I will be happy if these very affordable B modules are well built and sound good.
I don't really need any more Roland style basic modules however.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't experienced any of those problems.
I'm not using the Roland case either.
maybe it is the case and the power supply, I have no idea .. I just read that
the one with the vca is another problem
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

I hope Behringer can do pots like the original Roland pots; they feel nice.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
The aira fx range are HUGELY overlooked. Great sounding units on their own and the customisable software really is a massive step forward that went largely ignored. The demora is one of my all time favourite delays and ive owned literally dozens and dozens of boutique/high end pedal/rack delays over the years.
Agreed. Scooper is a monster of an innovation. Even the less interesting Aira modules like the Bitrazer have their place because they have an internal modular environment that can turn your module into everything from a chorus unit to a MIDI-controlled waveform generator.
Old 7th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Talking about modern affordable modular yes. But all the original modulars were much bigger, with more room.
Buchla 100, Moog, Arp 2500, Serge etc....
I'm no expert ... but ...
It would be perfectly possible for Behringer/ Roland to say in the designs stage : "The Roland System 100m 110 module measured 230mm(H) by 104mm(W) so let's give this new replica a similar UI-surface area"

That's gonna be roughly about 42 HP in Eurorack terms. Seems massive eh?

The Dreadbox Erebus V2 is 44HP
Lil' Erebus is 42 HP
Hades is 42 HP
Intellijel Atlantis is 40HP
A little large for most people, but they do/did sell.

I think the Roland S500 100 is 20 HP and I assume the Behringer models will be similar.
Couldn't the Roland/ Behringer voices perhaps be 30HP instead? Wouldn't that be a nice middle ground? Playable, but not filling half a row.

Perhaps if cases were cheaper/more flexible people would be less obsessive about remaining case-space. Perhaps if Behringer brings out a $149 powered case we can reclaim some ergonomics into synthesis?

Surely one benefit of hardware of VSTs is meant to be the haptic feedback of interacting with real world controls? What's the point when I keep dropping my tweezers?
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Head

One thing I would like to see like others already said; an affordable case, for the rest some good basic stuff, a great flexible sequencer with songmode, a sampler with possibilities to load samples from the computer and/or sd card and some good esotheric effect units plus audio/midi over usb and to hook it up to a pc and a keyboard.
Another thing I would like to see is ; make a Neutron 2S like Arturia did with the minibrute 2s.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search